Bat trapped in our bathroom - NEED ADVICE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We joke, but this is serious. You don't know how long it was there. Bats have tiny teeth and you may not notice a bite. Rabies is universally fatal. If you did not have 100% Awareness of the bat the whole time in your house, the safe thing is call an exterminator and have animal control test the bat for rabies. Even though you are low risk, you are not zero risk. If bat was killed and checked out you're fine. Now you are *most likely* not going to die.

CDC - Bats and Rabies - Rabies

Sorry for being a Debbie downer, but it's reality. Keeping the bat is the key to protecting yourself and your family, avoiding rabies shots, or getting them if appropriate.

New rabies injections aren't bad BTW.

You know you're in the clear if a few months go by and you're fine. Read the four sections in the above link.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The definitive answer

Kill it, its a bad omen. If you don't kill it you will be visited by two more bats one each of the next two years. These 3 years will all be bad luck years for you. Kill it.

I hope you ran out of purple.

About bats
    Bats are an extremely important part of our ecology. Considering all the bugs they eat our agricultural system would (will) be in trouble without them. Also note that the Indiana Brown Bat is an endangered species.

Rarely do bats carry rabies. Yes they can, but so can dogs. Personally, I'd rather kill a dog - bats eat mosquitoes whereas my neighbor's dogs bark endlessly and serve no useful purpose.

What you should be considered about is bat dropping can contain a toxic spore and should be avoided in quantity.

Now correct way to deal with them
    As much as I love the critters, they don't belong in the house. I've had to deal with a dozen or so over the years. First, They fly fast - real fast and maneuver better than any bird. Trying to swat them will only wear you out.

Containment is key, try to isolate the furry guy (or gal) in a room with windows. Open windows and hope he flies out. If not, the bat will tire and find a place to sit and ponder the situation. Bats like places cozy and high - window dressings and window screens are a favorite.

Now is when you act. Use your gear - heavy gloves and a box - no bat, broom or duct tape. In lieu of gloves use a piece of cardboard. OK, ready? Move in deliberately and smoothly, you don't want to scare him into flight, if so, wait for him to land again.

Now, position the open box beneath the resting bat, high as possible. Now just knock the bat into the box. He'll start flapping around, but you're safe. because bats have a very hard time taking-off vertically. They like to drop down and develop speed instead. Simply take the bat outside and release, no killing or beating required. First, look at its small size, fine fur and their sharp teeth - for bugs eating, not you. Bats are quite amazing creatures - once you get past the fact they like to "buzz the tower" when they're in you house.

What about more bats
    If this becomes routine you need to figure out where/how they are getting into your house. Most likely there is a quarter sized hole somewhere. Wait until dusk and watch for them to come out to feed at night. When they're out - seal it.

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN
    Before Bat Catcher 3000 was deployed:

picture.php

After:

picture.php

A Bat Catcher 3000 is made by attaching a mono pod shooting rest to a cardboard box with duck tape. MacGyver would be proud! :):

That is awesome! I never would have thought of that.

We used to have a bat hanging above our back door at night. So during the day my dad hung some moth balls up there and he never came back. If you ever get another bat in your bathroom you could always hang or throw moth balls in the corners of the bathroom that are farthest from the window. That way the bat will be forced to fly out the window. :)

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Ditto on checking your attic space.
    If you have attic vents outside they can easily get through.
    Does your house have a fireplace, as a kid they would get in my parents house through the chimney ocasionally.

Next time a cup (like red solo cup) & a heavy pair of gloves to cover the top & trap it till you do as you wish to it will work.
    No bigger than they are it won't get you through heavy gloves.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Jumped in on this late .... I was going to suggest growing some b*lls then going in there with a bat of your own and beat the snot out of that thing to show him who owns the house. However, taking the rabies aspect into account, I will refrain.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Now Meredith from the Office is one that I would not touch with a ten foot PVC pole with a box duct taped to the end. She has rabies and a cracked pelvis.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Good question! We honestly have no idea. We've done our best to check all places they could get in, but they still manage to find a way in. :dunno:

We've had 3-4 bats show up in our house over the last year... :nailbite:

Wait wait wait..... This has happened 3-4 times in the past????

How did you deal with it then and why are you have to seek advice on the 4-5 time and not the first?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good question! We honestly have no idea. We've done our best to check all places they could get in, but they still manage to find a way in. :dunno:

We've had 3-4 bats show up in our house over the last year... :nailbite:

You haven't checked every place. Bats are very small and quite smart. There's some very small hole. Maybe it's a point where roof lines join together. Maybe it's under the eves.

Now is the time when they're starting to wake up from winter hibernation and getting hungry. There's one in my attic scratching away at night. :xmad: My guess is that our house is in some bat tour guide with a 4 star rating. There a pond outside with good water, a comfy hot attic for roosting and an innkeeper who won't swat at them with a boom. :D

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    We had many bats in our attic several years ago. I would watch them all leave at dusk flying out where the chimney joined the roof. Problem is that their droppings become a dust which is toxic to humans who breathe it. I finally had a pro get rid of them. He had a net set up where they could get out, but not get back in. After a week he caulked the exterior of the house where the soffitt met the exterior walls. About two years later we came home and one was on the floor. At first I thought he was dead but as I got closer I could see he wasn't. Terminated him and got him out of the house. Remember, there is a good chance they are rabid if they are in your house. Dealing with them IMO is serious business. By the way, before we got rid of them we had very few problems with mosquitoes. Once they were gone, we noticed a lot more mosquitoes.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I hope you ran out of purple.

I thought it so obvious that purple was not needed. By the way I got reped for that a couple of times from people that thought it was funny. :D

PS: I also was not serious in the other two posts about standing on your head and chanting.

Top Bottom