• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I too have had a bad experience with Carmel Law Enforcement. It was a sheriff's deputy who pulled me over and said I was driving like a bat out of hell and switching lanes all over the place. It was night and he was obviously looking for intoxicated drivers. I badged him to let him know that was not me. He was offended. Things then went down hill. Long story short, my driving like a bat out of hell was accelerating quickly without spinning my tires or exceeding the posted speed limit. My switching lanes all over the place was one lane switch "from the right side of the right lane to the left side of the middle lane" and never crossing any other lane markers. I did not receive a ticket.

I guess the moral is that there are always some overzealous officers out there. In this case, I would start with a letter to the Chief of Police. I would also contest the ticket with the help of an attorney.

You specifically stated Sheriff's Deputy. I'm curious as to why since, there is no such thing as a Camel Sheriff's Deputy. I've seen people confuse calling Sheriff's officers, but not the other way around.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    were you the CP officer who proned out that 23 year old housewife because she wouldnt pull over due to the fact the cruiser's sirens and lights didn't work and she had ZERO idea what was happening? :laugh::laugh:

or perhaps the one who pulled me over on Xmas eve and kept me on the side of the road for 10 minutes. wife, baby and fat guy in a stupid sweater....probably pedaling smack. :): i was there so long i asked my wife if there was something she needed to tell me about. :laugh:

i keed i keed. I did have a headlight out, but it was the wife's car. surprisingly he didn't ask me about any weapons, which for once i wasn't carrying. it's like he knew....the force is strong with that one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    were you the CP officer who proned out that 23 year old housewife because she wouldnt pull over due to the fact the cruiser's sirens and lights didn't work and she had ZERO idea what was happening? :laugh::laugh:

or perhaps the one who pulled me over on Xmas eve and kept me on the side of the road for 10 minutes. wife, baby and fat guy in a stupid sweater....probably pedaling smack. :): i was there so long i asked my wife if there was something she needed to tell me about. :laugh:

i keed i keed. I did have a headlight out, but it was the wife's car. surprisingly he didn't ask me about any weapons, which for once i wasn't carrying. it's like he knew....the force is strong with that one.

Nope, wasn't me... but that was an honest mistake. I do completely understand why she was upset though. That's not a training issue, that's not a stupid officer, it's simply a mistake.

I not sure if you know, but CPD uses "overheads," that are LED. Now, since I work nights, if I clicked a button and they didnt activate, I would have known immediately that something was wrong with my equipment (due to the benefit of darkness). This instance happened during the day, so that officer would have no way to know that they weren't working. (fyi, old school "bubble" lights made a distinctive sound when activated)

The interesting thing about this, is that the siren was working, and the officer was directly behind the vehicle with the siren blaring. Call it common sense, but what are you supposed to do when you hear sirens?

...and typically, we don't ask about weapons. Further, if you tell an officer that you have a weapon on your person, it's greatly appreciated. Any guy that tells me he has a gun, I have him step out, ask for his permit, let him get back in the car, and always issue a warning (unless he was doing something so reckless, it cant be overlooked).

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    and typically, we don't ask about weapons. Further, if you tell an officer that you have a weapon on your person, it's greatly appreciated. Any guy that tells me he has a gun, I have him step out, ask for his permit, let him get back in the car, and always issue a warning (unless he was doing something so reckless, it cant be overlooked). if all officers did that then more people would tell. but the reaction from alot of them is better not to tell.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    To introduce myself, I am a Carmel Police Officer...

Thanks for serving. I was LEO in the Air Force from 1989 to 1993 and there were many times while on patrol keeping people safe, my presence was not appreciated by the public, unless of course they are the ones that called me. You could speak the truth and there will still be some that will snarl at it. Your presence is welcome here. No need to troll, dive right in.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    and typically, we don't ask about weapons. Further, if you tell an officer that you have a weapon on your person, it's greatly appreciated. Any guy that tells me he has a gun, I have him step out, ask for his permit, let him get back in the car, and always issue a warning (unless he was doing something so reckless, it cant be overlooked). if all officers did that then more people would tell. but the reaction from alot of them is better not to tell.

That is a good perspective, and I'm sure most people who carry appreciate that there are lots of good LEOs who act this way. Unfortunately, for both LEO and citizen, it's a crap shoot as to who we'll be dealing with. When you pull someone over, you have to balance your duty to uphold the Constitution and your own safety, while assessing whether you're dealing with a jackwagon. And so do we. The difference is that citizens have rights, versus cops having authority. Authority happens on the street, whereas defending one's assertion of rights usually happens later... at a cost... in a courtroom.

Unfortunately, in the OP's situation, we see that "doing the right thing" (in his case, erring on the side of providing too much information by reporting what should have been a non-crime) can sometimes result in lengthy and costly battle in court. And it makes all of us less likely to say much of anything to LEOs in the first place.

I wish the best to Liberty Sanders. From his posts on INGO, he certainly sounds like a guy I'd like to have as a neighbor. I hope this thing is resolved soon. If I have the time, I'm going to try to make it to the hearing (assuming Liberty actually wants random INGO members to show up).

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    That is a good perspective, and I'm sure most people who carry appreciate that there are lots of good LEOs who act this way. Unfortunately, for both LEO and citizen, it's a crap shoot as to who we'll be dealing with. When you pull someone over, you have to balance your duty to uphold the Constitution and your own safety, while assessing whether you're dealing with a jackwagon. And so do we. The difference is that citizens have rights, versus cops having authority. Authority happens on the street, whereas defending one's assertion of rights usually happens later... at a cost... in a courtroom.

Unfortunately, in the OP's situation, we see that "doing the right thing" (in his case, erring on the side of providing too much information by reporting what should have been a non-crime) can sometimes result in lengthy and costly battle in court. And it makes all of us less likely to say much of anything to LEOs in the first place.

I wish the best to Liberty Sanders. From his posts on INGO, he certainly sounds like a guy I'd like to have as a neighbor. I hope this thing is resolved soon. If I have the time, I'm going to try to make it to the hearing (assuming Liberty actually wants random INGO members to show up).

I'll be there. Come on up - maybe we can do lunch. OC not necessary :D

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    "A dog defense. A Carmel man fires a shot to scare dogs from his own property. We'll tell you why he's now facing charges, next at 5."

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I assume that is you that I just seen on the news?

They have a weak case.. you are a good neighbor.. you could have killed that dog, but you didn't... kudos to you!

Top Bottom