• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Wrong. The cop has passed multiple tests to determine if he has the maturity and intellect to carry in such an environment. He has been trained regarding use of his weapon and situations he might encounter. He is calm, level-headed, and trusted by the community.

:rolleyes: Have you been reading the news at all during the last few years? Cops involved in murder, violation of civil rights, etc. Does Rodney King come to mind?

In just my little ol' city of Greenwood, we have had no less than 10 incidents regarding police misconduct and misjudgment within the last 2 years.

Society recognizes the hurdle he has jumped for the privilege. So does the store owner, who doesn't see him as a threat to his profit margin.

Carrying a firearm isn't a privilege, and I know of at least one police officer who has been fired from a few of his part time job, because merchandise has walked off a store's shelves when he has been in charge.

If you're really trying to convince anyone that he is equal to the backwoods bumpkins who are on an ego trip in your neighborhood Kroger, just looking for someone to provoke (it's the only reason they open carry in the first place), you are going to have to try much harder. Different as night and day.

Not everyone who OCs, does it for their ego, or to provoke a response. OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum. Even an armed, uniformed security guard open carries.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    After reading this thread I made a trip to Kroger in Carmel while OCing. The manager there was kind enough to direct me to the dairy section. Not once did they reference my gun or even look at it past the initial first glance.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    :rolleyes: Have you been reading the news at all during the last few years? Cops involved in murder, violation of civil rights, etc. Does Rodney King come to mind?

I don't think he can read, so he must have someone read to him. I informed him about the cops in New Orleans that were just convicted of murder and got no response. :banana:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Well now my ex-military, ex-LE, ego trippin', OCing, College Educated, marksmanship instructing, Country Bumpkin psyche is all messed up. From what I've learned from Jake, I don't know if I can even trust myself to even looked a firearm any more.

I guess I'll just have to take up knitting or needlepoint. Or am I not qualified to own scissors either? Is there a test I can take? Some sort of uniform that I can wear in order to assuage the fears of the general public?

Come off it, Man. I respect your right to feel that you need to CC. I respect the fact that you have feelings on the matter, however in a polite society it is your responsibility to respect that in others as well, so long as what they are doing does not run afoul of the law.

OC, for many, is about education as much as it is about comfort, ego, speed, ETC.
    The more the general public witnesses those of us who OC acting responsibly, the more it will be accepted.
    The more accepted it becomes, the less logical the gun grabbing anti-gun lobby arguements become.
    The lessening of belief in the Anti's rhetoric, the more Freedoms We Retain.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I agree with some of what Jake says, or rather, I agree with the aversion to open-carry. I don't open carry, I don't see any reason for it, and I can understand businesses that are skittish about it. I support your right to freedom of speech, but please don't come into my business screaming and cussing; I support practice of religion, but please don't take communion or roll out your prayer mat in Aisle 8.
    I am not here to debate my point of view, nor am I seeking to convince anyone. I am simply explaining my position. To those who equate carrying a gun with ethnic status...come on now, really?

I do not support the Brady campaign. I am as staunch a pro-gun supporter as one is apt to find. I don't think open-carry should be limited by the law, but if a business wants to set optional limitations (optional because you chose to patronize a business and abide by their rules or go elsewhere), I have no issue. In a free-market system, businesses must weight the pros and cons of any decision against what they stand to lose from a financial standpoint.

The OP seems to just want answers, and if he feels he was inappropriately singled out, it sounds like he is taking the proper steps. He is a customer, and has every right to question the policies of a business before giving them anymore money.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree with some of what Jake says, or rather, I agree with the aversion to open-carry. I don't open carry, I don't see any reason for it, and I can understand businesses that are skittish about it. I support your right to freedom of speech, but please don't come into my business screaming and cussing; I support practice of religion, but please don't take communion or roll out your prayer mat in Aisle 8.
    I am not here to debate my point of view, nor am I seeking to convince anyone. I am simply explaining my position. To those who equate carrying a gun with ethnic status...come on now, really?

I do not support the Brady campaign. I am as staunch a pro-gun supporter as one is apt to find. I don't think open-carry should be limited by the law, but if a business wants to set optional limitations (optional because you chose to patronize a business and abide by their rules or go elsewhere), I have no issue. In a free-market system, businesses must weight the pros and cons of any decision against what they stand to lose from a financial standpoint.

The OP seems to just want answers, and if he feels he was inappropriately singled out, it sounds like he is taking the proper steps. He is a customer, and has every right to question the policies of a business before giving them anymore money.

Rep inbound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Wrong. The cop has passed multiple tests to determine if he has the maturity and intellect to carry in such an environment.

I totally agree. The perfectly infallible police training they receive produces perfectly infallible police officers such as these:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWWJaTEdD0[/ame]

He has been trained regarding use of his weapon and situations he might encounter.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg[/ame]

He is calm, level-headed,...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimk7AitaIE[/ame]

...and trusted by the community.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpK9B3tlir0[/ame]

Society recognizes the hurdle he has jumped for the privilege. So does the store owner, who doesn't see him as a threat to his profit margin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQW6xLECUU[/ame]

Therefore, a few edits/FTFY are in order...

If you're really trying to convince anyone that LEOs are *not* equal to the "backwoods bumpkins" who are on [STRIKE]an ego[/STRIKE] a shopping trip in your neighborhood Kroger, just looking [STRIKE]for someone to provoke[/STRIKE] to make it home at the end of the day (it's the only reason they open carry in the first place), you are going to have to try much harder.

With the kind of "trained professionals" :rolleyes: :n00b: :scared: working in law enforcement these days** such as shown in the videos above, I'll take my chances with the "backwoods bumpkins"...

** Not hatin' on all LEOs, just hate the fallacy that their training somehow makes them better/more trustworthy than the average responsible gun owner/CCW/LTCH-er... :twocents:

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Comparatively police officers ARE better at handling firearms than the general gun owning public. Now, obviously, I would think that the average seasoned shooter would be better than the average officer, but the problem is there aren't a ton of true gun enthusiasts.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Comparatively police officers ARE better at handling firearms than the general gun owning public. Now, obviously, I would think that the average seasoned shooter would be better than the average officer, but the problem is there aren't a ton of true gun enthusiasts.

Ask someone who runs or R/Os a range that LEOs frequent, and you might get a different opinion..

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

So we are in agreement, if someone is not a seasoned shooter, and therefore incompetent, they should conceal carry or better yet, not at all. My only question would be, would this include security guards and non gun enthusiat LEOs as well?

(purple may applied at the readers discretion)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ask someone who runs or R/Os a range that LEOs frequent, and you might get a different opinion..

Did you miss the 2nd half of his post?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wrong. The [STRIKE]cop [/STRIKE] Officer has passed multiple tests to determine if he has the maturity and intellect to carry in such an environment. He has been trained regarding use of his weapon and situations he might encounter. He is calm, level-headed, and trusted by the community. Society recognizes the hurdle he has jumped for the privilege. So does the store owner, who doesn't see him as a threat to his profit margin.

If you're really trying to convince anyone that he is equal to the backwoods bumpkins who are on an ego trip in your neighborhood Kroger, just looking for someone to provoke (it's the only reason they open carry in the first place), you are going to have to try much harder. Different as night and day.
    First of all fixed that for you.

Second since you spouted off about the uniformed officer, and you failed to answer my question concerning a plainclothes detective, I'll post it again for your amusement and see if you fail to comment again, because in looks only, after all John Q Public is no different looking than a plainclothes detective.

May I ask you is there any difference between a lawful citizen and and a plainclothes detective open carrying in Kroger on his way home in this situation?

No, there is none, both are Licensed To Carry a Handgun in the State of Indiana.

Because I think that there's been more than one occasion that one has stopped by a Kroger on his way home to shop with his sidearm showing, and don't give me this "His badge will be showing" for all we know it's the infamous CCW badge, or a security guard badge.

WWCED?

Really, What Would Clint Eastwood Do?

I think he might tell you to stop being a sissy girl and let the man carry as he see's fit, after all it's HIS choice to carry that way, why do you have to bust his chops with your worthless CC spew. Carry as YOU see fit, and let others carry their way.

One thing we must start to realize as legally licensed firearms holders as a whole, the public will continue to be reactive this way to open carriers until they are educated, it may be one at a time, but that's one more than what there was. This antigun culture was not created overnight, and we won't change it overnight either.

Inform, Educate and be responsible.:patriot:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Don't feed the trolls

Aaaaaauuuuhhhhh???

images

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    After thinking about it for a bit, I believe that the antis, to include many within government, don't want the masses educated about firearms, firearms discipline, and firearms safety. Part of that strategy, is to perpetuate the notion that law enforcement, as a whole, are incredibly competent and capable with the handling and use of firearms.

I dispute that notion, especially since the night I was pulled over and disarmed....and was nearly shot....because the officer attempted to unload my weapon, and swept me with the muzzle while his booger hook was on the bang switch. What again is so hard about safely unloading a Glock?

By perpetuating the illusion that the police have some type of God-like mastery with firearms, further relegates the need of the citizenry to possess firearms only to that of a mere luxury....and in fact, not is only not needed by the average person to defend themselves, but is too dangerous for even our own possession.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

In my experience, the average citizen that openly carries will generally fall into the category of "true gun enthusiast". As far as everyone that owns a firearm in general - I would have to concur with your opinion.

Maybe my view is biased, and the people I personally know that open carry are not a valid subsection of the demographic... but it sure seems that way...

Just as a random opinion I also feel safer next to someone carrying a firearm on their hip secured in a quality holster when compared to tossing it in a purse/bag or a cc holster without retention. (If you carry in a cc holster that does not have a retention strap, I am not trying to belittle your holster choice - I am simply saying that I personally believe one to be safer than the other)

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The whole "you need to cover that up" notion is just silly imho. It doesn't make the gun any more "safe" nor does it make the carrier of that gun any more "safe". I mean, whether it's covered or not - it's still there.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The whole "you need to cover that up" notion is just silly imho. It doesn't make the gun any more "safe" nor does it make the carrier of that gun any more "safe". I mean, whether it's covered or not - it's still there.

Exactly. I have always wondered about this idiocy.

"Oh, that gun is MUCH safer now, I can't SEE it!" :n00b:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County

Agreed! What if the OP was merely printing and Mr Store Ninja saw it and said he had to leave? This is NOT an OC/CC issue, it's the right we exercise and it's the ignorance of the sheeple that we contend against. The more questions get asked, the more opportunity we have to educate.

Top Bottom