• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    I just a firm property rights guy. If asked to leave, you really don't have the right to challenge their reasonings. If I owned a store and I wanted someone to leave, and they demanded a reason, I would tell them, "because I, the lawful owner, said so." End of story.

Back to the OP. The manager is not the lawful owner, her personal thoughts should have no say in what the company has already set in their policy. The same would be if you told someone to leave your store as the owner but your manager told them it was OK for them to stay if they had a LTCH. :twocents:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    ...Why is it you can be sued for violating religious rights or if you deny entry based on color but not when you discriminate for firearms...

IANAL, but I'll give this one a whirl. It is not discrimination. "Discrimination" in the legal sense of the word refers to classes of individuals enjoying protection under Federal law. The right to keep and bear arms doesn't make this list:

Kroger's property owner rights may have trumped the OP's right to keep and bear arms (on their property), but it isn't discrimination as legally defined.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I just a firm property rights guy. If asked to leave, you really don't have the right to challenge their reasonings. If I owned a store and I wanted someone to leave, and they demanded a reason, I would tell them, "because I, the lawful owner, said so." End of story.
    Well, so long as the discussion was civil I see no harm in it.

Two scenarios:

1. You ask me to leave. I ask you why. You say "I'm not discussing it with you, leave now."
    2. You ask me to leave. I ask you why. You discuss why you wish me to leave in a civil manner for a few minutes and then I depart.

The way I understand it, it was scenario 2. Scenario 1 would be when you simply walk out. There is no issue having a simple discussion with another individual over a disagreement or difference of opinion or views so long as it's civil.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    For the record, aside from his Western films, (and even a few of those) Clint Eastwood usually carries concealed. :D

Why exclude Western films? Open Carry used to be a way of life. Remember, history repeats itself and Open Carry may become a way of life again.

Just so this is out there, I don't care how you carry, just carry. You never know when you will need it.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    OK, here it is from a former Kroger manager (I left about a year ago, so my info might be slightly out of date):

Yes, company policy is to follow state laws. Yes, managers sometimes get their pantaloons in a wad about people OC'ing in the store. I never did, in any of the stores I was in on the southside of Indy or when I was in Bloomington. In general, OP was in the right, manager was being uptight. OP might also have better luck with calling corporate in Castleton directly and asking to speak to someone in public relations in addition to calling the complaint line. I won't give out the number, but it's in the phone book. Also know that when you send in a complaint over the internet or through the phone, it goes to the district manager and the store manager, who is supposed to contact you about said complaint within 24 hours. Just handy info to keep in your minds when your out and about. Either way, I have OC'd at 3-4 Kroger's on the south side with no issues

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    OK, here it is from a former Kroger manager (I left about a year ago, so my info might be slightly out of date):

Yes, company policy is to follow state laws. Yes, managers sometimes get their pantaloons in a wad about people OC'ing in the store. I never did, in any of the stores I was in on the southside of Indy or when I was in Bloomington. In general, OP was in the right, manager was being uptight. OP might also have better luck with calling corporate in Castleton directly and asking to speak to someone in public relations in addition to calling the complaint line. I won't give out the number, but it's in the phone book. Also know that when you send in a complaint over the internet or through the phone, it goes to the district manager and the store manager, who is supposed to contact you about said complaint within 24 hours. Just handy info to keep in your minds when your out and about. Either way, I have OC'd at 3-4 Kroger's on the south side with no issues
    Just a quick question. Why would one want to call Castleton rather than Cincinnati?

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Just a quick question. Why would one want to call Castleton rather than Cincinnati?

The Castleton office deals directly with the stores in this state, while corporate office in Cincinnati does not. Much better chance of your complaint not being lost in the ether when you deal locally. Granted, the 1-800 number does route through a call center in Ohio (Blue Ash, I think?), it still does reach the store manager. But if you want to go higher than store management, the division office is the place to go. They may try to refer you back to the 1-800 number, but be insistent that you talk to PR. Don't try to go through a district manager, however. You can beg and plead and no store will give out their phone number, much less which store their office is located at.

Also, if anyone wants to plan a OC event there, count me in as another willing participant.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Ok I'm confused. Kroger says it is their "policy to side with state law concerning customers carrying weapons." So then, you were complying with state laws. You have your permit, there is no law concerning OC, therefore you were in compliance with state law. As such, since Kroger sides with state law, what exactly is the problem? That is what I would have asked.

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How much time have you spent or going to spend on making everyone else believe you're within your rights (which it seems you are)? Heck, next time pull out your shirt tail and go shopping.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    How much time have you spent or going to spend on making everyone else believe you're within your rights (which it seems you are)? Heck, next time pull out your shirt tail and go shopping.

Thought much about not exercising your 1st amendment rights?

If not I think you should.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

This is not an issue of making people "believe" he was within his rights.

HE WAS within his rights.

Would you would be wrongly asked to leave if the tip of the barrel showed from underneath your shirt? I'm curious because you would both hold a valid legal LTCH, what makes the difference if it's OC or CC?

Please explain.

We see that your opinion is of the concealed carry method, his is of the open carry method, mine is of both, that does not make any of us wrong, the point is that Kroger has specially stated before that they follow state law on this matter.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Your advice would be more apt if the question had posed, "How can I hide this darn thing so nobody notices?"

But it wasn't.

Perhaps you should go find one of those threads.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Subscribing to follow.

As mentioned in an earlier post: it is Bloomington....it's a dang wonder we don't hear more of these stories happening in the PRB, especially, there on the east side of town.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    names for people like you in the penal systems

How about this:

"Dear Kroger,

I was asked this evening to leave one of your stores because I was carrying a gun in plain sight. I realize that I could carry my gun in a concealed fashion, and disturb no one, and not cause any commotion in your store that might cost you a sale, but I have this ego thing that makes me want to be Clint Eastwood and carry my gun so people can see that I'm somebody. If I had to carry it concealed, I couldn't show off and would be nobody.

Thank you for exercising your property owner rights and safeguarding your financial bottom line. I fully agree that there is no reason for me, or anyone, to carry a firearm in open sight in an environment where it may not be appreciated and cost a merchant business. I didn't think. I'll try harder next time."

Tweek that a little and fire it off to Kroger.

They usually call little pacivists like this, but I can see you would like to exercise your 1st ammendment rights and expound about a person's ego that you have never met. What a . just to remind you, we have had several people petitioning our rights with the castle doctrine in our state and any exercise of our Constitutional Rights should be embraced, ego or not. But you just keep on talking and telling the people how dumb they are. That's your freedom of expression in the constitution, so please defend that for us with your lips!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom