"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All she has to do to collect a $560 million lotto jackpot is make her name public. She refuses.

Mixed feelings on this one. I'd feel the same way, I wouldn't want to be publicly recognized for winning a lottery.

“She is a longtime resident of New Hampshire and is an engaged community member,” the woman’s attorney, Steven Gordon, wrote in court documents. “She wishes to continue this work and the freedom to walk into a grocery store or attend public events without being known or targeted as the winner of a half-billion dollars.”

On one side of the case are lottery officials who say the integrity of the games depends on the public identification of winners as a protection against fraud and malfeasance. A local woman holding up a giant check while cameras flash and reporters scrawl also happens to be a powerful marketing tool.

On the other side is a woman suddenly faced with a life-changing stroke of luck who, court documents say, wishes to live “far from the glare and misfortune that has often fallen upon other lottery winners.”

The law doesn’t appear to be on her side.

While that amount of money should afford anyone the opportunity to leave their community, and live somewhere well-protected and secure... she seems tied to where she lives, and surely going public would affect how she's viewed in some manner.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    All she has to do to collect a $560 million lotto jackpot is make her name public. She refuses.

Mixed feelings on this one. I'd feel the same way, I wouldn't want to be publicly recognized for winning a lottery.

While that amount of money should afford anyone the opportunity to leave their community, and live somewhere well-protected and secure... she seems tied to where she lives, and surely going public would affect how she's viewed in some manner.

I wish I had her misfortune. I would have no problem telling some freeloader to **** off.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You know, made she should have thought about it before buying the ticket? :dunno:

I wish I had her misfortune. I would have no problem telling some freeloader to **** off.

That'd be the easy part. It's the protection against identity theft that'd be hard.

Plus, not everyone is considerate enough to ask for the money.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i remember when children weren't raised by the state

those were good times

Schools Consider Banning 'Best Friends' To Foster Inclusive Environment « CBS New York

Point of order - you can't report about schools and only refer to one psychologist at one school.

But seriously send me the vet bill for your dog's tail

If you'd been following me, you'd know I hate dogs. ;)

But seriously, it's either a sensational non-story, or just ****ty reporting. Why does it bother you that I comment on these stories with some critical thinking? :dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You know, made she should have thought about it before buying the ticket? :dunno:...

Yep. Some states allow anonymity. Some don't. There's no "right to privacy" that goes along with your lottery win unless that is specifically the law. Most places, that is specifically NOT the law.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Point of order - you can't report about schools and only refer to one psychologist at one school.

The chair recognizes your point of order as "not well taken". It is not a violation of rules of debate to argue that individual instances belong to a themed trend that applies more broadly to more than one school.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yep. Some states allow anonymity. Some don't. There's no "right to privacy" that goes along with your lottery win unless that is specifically the law. Most places, that is specifically NOT the law.

Do all states allow the "proxy" thing to protect ID? Or does that vary as well? And does it have to be established before buying/claiming, or can it be done after a win?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's a trade-off. Sometimes it's a package deal where you can't really choose the parts you don't like. That's a Hobson's choice I wouldn't mind being burdened with. If she doesn't want the money, I'll take it and make my name public.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Her state allows you to set up a trust that the winnings can go into. If she had first consulted a lawyer, set up the trust, and wrote the name of the trust on the ticket, she could remain anonymous. Her mistake was signing her name to the back of the winning ticket.:dunno:

I wonder how many people who play lotteries know this is even an option.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

The chair recognizes your point of order as "not well taken". It is not a violation of rules of debate to argue that individual instances belong to a themed trend that applies more broadly to more than one school.

Debate, maybe, but this was journalism (from the CBS flagship station) - real journalism focuses on reporting facts and stories, not just inventing one for ratings.

And again, unless there's a report otherwise, it's one instance. Show me two and we'll talk.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not that I am in the business of defending media outlets (God forbid), but while there was one psychologist cited, the article referenced this being atrend at several schools in the U.S. and Europe. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but the use of the "s" on the end of schools was not a reference to a single school.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Her state allows you to set up a trust that the winnings can go into. If she had first consulted a lawyer, set up the trust, and wrote the name of the trust on the ticket, she could remain anonymous. Her mistake was signing her name to the back of the winning ticket.:dunno:

I wonder how many people who play lotteries know this is even an option.

Ooh. Good to know. I mean. I'd rather remain anonymous. But for $.5B before taxes, I'd let my name out there. But if I had that ticket in my possession, damn skippy I'd set up the trust.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Debate, maybe, but this was journalism (from the CBS flagship station) - real journalism focuses on reporting facts and stories, not just inventing one for ratings.

And again, unless there's a report otherwise, it's one instance. Show me two and we'll talk.

It's clickbaity, yes. But you raised a point of order, thus establishing the domain of discourse we're operating in. I was just following the rules you agreed to by invoking it. 'Cause I'm an ornery old cuss. :stickpoke:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not that I am in the business of defending media outlets (God forbid), but while there was one psychologist cited, the article referenced this being atrend at several schools in the U.S. and Europe. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but the use of the "s" on the end of schools was not a reference to a single school.

Yes, they claim it's a trend; so they, or someone else show be able to prove it's a trend.

Jack Shafer at The Slate used to run a series of articles debunking all these fake trends being reported with nary a shred of decent journalism.

http://http://www.slate.com/article...07/the_new_york_timesbogus_trend_factory.html

https://www.poynter.org/news/how-slates-jack-shafer-calls-out-bogus-trend-stories

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It's a trade-off. Sometimes it's a package deal where you can't really choose the parts you don't like. That's a Hobson's choice I wouldn't mind being burdened with. If she doesn't want the money, I'll take it and make my name public.

For half a billion dollars, I'll ride bare assed on an ostrich though Lucas Oil Stadium on the Fourth of July to pick up my check.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For half a billion dollars, I'll ride bare assed on an ostrich though Lucas Oil Stadium on the Fourth of July to pick up my check.
    If the event were advertized in advance, given he current state of things, I can’t predict whether the stadium would be empty or full. If there’s any hope for humanity I would hope for empty. No offense intended.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom