"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    evacuate

[FONT=&amp]verb

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]evac·​u·​ate [FONT=&amp]| \ i-ˈva-kyə-ˌwāt

, -kyü-ˌāt\[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]evacuated; evacuating
    [/FONT]
    Definition of evacuate

[FONT=&amp]transitive verb

[FONT=&amp]1: to remove the contents of : EMPTY
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2: to discharge from the body as waste : VOID
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]3: to remove something (such as gas or water) from especially by pumping
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]4a: to remove especially from a military zone or dangerous area
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]b: to withdraw from military occupation of
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]c: VACATE sense 1were ordered to evacuate the building
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]intransitive verb[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]1: to withdraw from a place in an organized way especially for protection
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2: to pass urine or feces from the body

​[/FONT][/FONT]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    evacuate

[FONT=&amp]verb

[/FONT]

, -kyü-ˌāt\[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Definition of evacuate

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]3: to remove something (such as gas or water) from especially by pumping
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1: to withdraw from a place in an organized way especially for protection
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2:to pass urine or feces from the body

​[/FONT][/FONT]

Do you really believe that was the part of your message that elicited the "why would you say that?" question marks? It was not.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    evacuate

[FONT=&amp]verb

[/FONT]

, -kyü-ˌāt\[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Definition of evacuate

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2:to pass urine or feces from the body

​[/FONT][/FONT]

The Ultimate Denny???

Don

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have not flown since I got out of the Army in 82. I cannot speak to modern air travel.

but weren't those military flights fun?
    cranky machinery and hydraulic oil all over.
    no seats, just cargo nets
    no heat due to the explosives being shipped
    no movies
    no music
    LOTS of engine noise

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I actually enjoyed most of them.

I used to love flying. I flew on some of the majors back in the day many little planes both commercial and private.

Today I would not go beyond the common area of an airport. I would not put up with TSA.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Spirit offered her a $7 food coupon, and a hotel voucher with the wrong date on it.

There was an earlier Delta flight to her desired location, but Spirit wasn't doing anything about it.

Aren't passengers entitled to more than this when their flights are massively delayed or diverted?

GP, only first tier airlines (domestically American, Delta, United maybe Alaskan - I consider S/West and JetBlue second tier and all the rest third tier) have interlocking carriage agreements. If one carrier's aircraft is disabled or delayed they can place you on a competitor's flight if there is room at no cost to you

The airlines that are not participants, like SW and JetBlue, you're waiting for the a/c to be fixed or for them to send another or for a terminator to arrive so they can swap you onto that a/c. In a case such as your wife's, they are only obligated to a certain level of support if the problem is unambiguously their fault. If weather is involved, in almost any way (such as the upline delay) the airline can wiggle out of some of its responsibilities

Most reputable airlines will still try to do something for a customer (Within reason. There are standard voucher amounts and preferred hotels - they're not putting you up at the Waldorf) but I don't think Spirit or Frontier are worried about repeat business as much as they are worried about survival

The strongest protections are .gov mandated remedies for involuntary denied boarding due to overbooking (which you often don't have if you book on a foreign flag carrier such as BA or Virgin or KLM etc). Read the fine print buried on the carriers website under rules of carriage

ie:
    https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/contract-of-carriage-dgr

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just to lighten up this thread.

ZebZtfj.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/florida-slingshot-ride-breaks-moments-before-launch

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Miss America pageant kicks out miss Nevada (an E-7 National Guard combat veteran) because of her conservative political views...

https://popularmilitary.com/miss-am...DfjC8ustfY40317N0oIDkw#utm_source=Grunt Works

Ms. America, not Miss.

She says it's because she is conservative. They say it's because she mixed pageant and political in the same social media. Easy to disprove that- find someone left who did the same thing and wasn't kicked out....I mean, I'm not going to do it, but...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GP, only first tier airlines (domestically American, Delta, United maybe Alaskan - I consider S/West and JetBlue second tier and all the rest third tier) have interlocking carriage agreements. If one carrier's aircraft is disabled or delayed they can place you on a competitor's flight if there is room at no cost to you

The airlines that are not participants, like SW and JetBlue, you're waiting for the a/c to be fixed or for them to send another or for a terminator to arrive so they can swap you onto that a/c. In a case such as your wife's, they are only obligated to a certain level of support if the problem is unambiguously their fault. If weather is involved, in almost any way (such as the upline delay) the airline can wiggle out of some of its responsibilities

Most reputable airlines will still try to do something for a customer (Within reason. There are standard voucher amounts and preferred hotels - they're not putting you up at the Waldorf) but I don't think Spirit or Frontier are worried about repeat business as much as they are worried about survival

The strongest protections are .gov mandated remedies for involuntary denied boarding due to overbooking (which you often don't have if you book on a foreign flag carrier such as BA or Virgin or KLM etc). Read the fine print buried on the carriers website under rules of carriage

ie:
    https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/contract-of-carriage-dgr

Ah thanks, will have to check that.

She was supposed to be back in Indy by 5pm today. Now laid-over in Newark, got a text that she's been rebooked for a 5:30am (tomorrow) flight back. This is on United now.

Just the worst flight luck this entire trip.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Addendum

I can find no rational time-based reason for them to divert her flight to Atlanta. My first thought was perhaps the control tower was not 24 hour (most airlines do not fly into airports w/o a working tower) but it is indeed round the clock. Then I thought it could be a noise curfew/ordinance but can't find any on line. There are limitations on crew duty time, but an enroute flight should not be diverted because of that unless something like fog or other weather was going to cause significant arrival delays. If there was insufficient crew duty time to complete the flight it should never have been dispatched

Both Spirit and Frontier have part time ground handlers and it is possible they would land with no one available to accept the arrival, but again they should have been able to brainstorm that before dispatch. If I was a betting man, I would say they needed that airplane available for a 'kick-off' flight in Atlanta the next day (with a rested, legal crew) and the diversion was for schedule recovery. Might be worth pursuing a complaint with your state Attorney General and via complaint/bad mouthing in any widely publicized forum you can find (like TripAdvisor) and on their website. Also twitter if they have a real time presence. Squeaky wheel gets greased and all

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom