"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So when I inevitably slam on my breaks again to avoid hitting an idiot, and then I get rear-ended by the guy behind me, who's fault is that?

Do I get out of my car and tell the jackass that pulled out in front of me to stay right the **** where they are?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So when I inevitably slam on my breaks again to avoid hitting an idiot, and then I get rear-ended by the guy behind me, who's fault is that?

Do I get out of my car and tell the jackass that pulled out in front of me to stay right the **** where they are?
    When you’re surrounded by idiots, **** happens? :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The good thing about roundabouts is that they’re way more efficient than traffic signals at moving traffic through an intersection.

The bad thing about roundabouts is that they’re more complicated than traffic signals, and thus are way more accident inducing, though less severe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just a week or two ago. It was on a discussion of the triangle at Southport and Mann road. Some people want that turned into a roundabout.

Yeah, I measured things a bit using Google earth. I have yet to find a roundabout design that actually fits in the footprint of that triangle because the triangle is too obtuse. Nobody realizes just how big those are, and that somebody in one of those 3 houses is going to lose a significant amount of land, or possibly all of them. Hell, one house might even need to go. Maybe if they installed an ovalabout?

But looking at the design docs for the new Ameriplex extension a year or two ago at the public info meeting, there will be one built there as part of the project.

On a related note, have you seen the nextdoor members in the neighborhood south of us opining that the section between Mooresville Rd and Mann MUST be adjusted and go a different route? Currently it will follow a natural gas easement that will cut off about 16 homes and separate them from the rest of the neighborhood. There is literally no other route possible within reason. I would love to sit down with them and a map and have them show us a better route because every other route would actually require houses to be torn down. The only other thing I can think of is to put an overpass in that would go over the neighborhood street, but that would be so expensive it would be silly.

This is the group of houses that will get cut off. *yawn* The road will follow that open strip of grass between that cluster and the rest of the hood. You'd think they were complaining that the city is going to bulldoze their houses without compensation. Does it suck? yeah. But I can think of MUCH worse than having to cross a busy road to go visit neighbors. Hell, you just saved a couple minutes a day getting out of the neighborhood!

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6627548,-86.2660229,148m/data=!3m1!1e3

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The good thing about roundabouts is that they’re way more efficient than traffic signals at moving traffic through an intersection.

The bad thing about roundabouts is that they’re more complicated than traffic signals, and thus are way more accident inducing, though less severe.

Unless you have a severely lopsided traffic flow, then the lighter legs are screwed. I heard there are several roundabouts up near Deer Creek Music Center that become almost unusable to anyone not leaving after a concert. The outbound flow is so heavy the concert goers are able to monopolize the intersection, preventing folks approaching from the other legs from getting into the roundabout.

Granted that is not a constant occurrence, but its still a thing.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The first one I ever saw was slightly confusing. Since then they are just scary.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    We have 2. The south at center and webster is 3 sided and works pretty well.
    The north at Markland and Park is a larger standard 4 sided and there are accidents there regularly. :rolleyes:
    Morons don't know you are supposed to yield for traffic already in the circle.

Also: YIELD DOES NOT MEAN COME TO A STOP IF THERE IS NO TRAFFIC.

I've seen a person turn left onto the roundabout at markland before to make a left turn instead of proceeding around to the right like they are supposed to, Just about pulled a head on collision.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    We have 2. The south at center and webster is 3 sided and works pretty well.
    The north at Markland and Park is a larger standard 4 sided and there are accidents there regularly. :rolleyes:
    Morons don't know you are supposed to yield for traffic already in the circle.

Also: YIELD DOES NOT MEAN COME TO A STOP IF THERE IS NO TRAFFIC.

I've seen a person turn left onto the roundabout at markland before to make a left turn instead of proceeding around to the right like they are supposed to, Just about pulled a head on collision.

So you're saying the goal is to beat the other drivers to the circle so they will have to yield as I make my victory lap.

:rockwoot: Challenge Accepted!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    so this just pulled out of the gas station

and

predictably

spilled a bunch of **** in the road

20190815_121157.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Speaking of round-abouts....

You all notice folks cutting lane to lane in the multi-lane roundabouts? They enter the circle in the right lane, and then try to straighten out the circle. Like this:
    xJ3lS7Q.jpg

I need to use the left lane in the circle near our house, to get from southbound to eastbound. Some yokel going southbound either cuts me off, or nearly side swipes me, at least once a week.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You all notice folks cutting lane to lane in the multi-lane roundabouts? They enter the circle in the right lane, and then try to straighten out the circle. Like this:
    xJ3lS7Q.jpg

I need to use the left lane in the circle near our house, to get from southbound to eastbound. Some yokel going southbound either cuts me off, or nearly side swipes me, at least once a week.
    I used to see that crap a lot, but in time it's calmed down.

I got an old truck, and no fear...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Unless you have a severely lopsided traffic flow, then the lighter legs are screwed. I heard there are several roundabouts up near Deer Creek Music Center that become almost unusable to anyone not leaving after a concert. The outbound flow is so heavy the concert goers are able to monopolize the intersection, preventing folks approaching from the other legs from getting into the roundabout.

Granted that is not a constant occurrence, but its still a thing.

Hell, that happens at intersections with traffic lights. Apparently the people that program the timing of traffic lights think that traffic only flows north and south on 135 and 31 on the southside at least. I live just west of 135 on Thompson. It often takes me almost as long to get from 31 to home (about a mile and a half) as my entire commute from 56th St. on the northeast side to 31 and Thompson. :n00b:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

xJ3lS7Q.jpg

I recently had to actually drive up over the curb into the center section to avoid an accident because the woman beside me decided she needed to be in my lane worse than me. Her lane was a right turn only lane, but she apparently didn't want to turn right. The sad thing is that I don't think she ever realized what she did to me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you think that's confusing, try the "diverging diamond" we have here.

I've done the diverging diamond. Dupont Road in Ft Wayne when I was visiting outlaws. I had no idea what to do first time I saw it. I was like, WTF is this? Then it was like, eh. Weird, but workable. Just do what the signs say.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom