"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) Pay your taxes (even if you don't like them)
    B) Keep you application received postcards for documentation. Don't throw anything out until it has been 100% settled for a number of years.
    C) Just because your application was received does not mean it was accepted. Follow up. Know the deadlines. Put then on your calendar.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere

Definitely sad, and were I the one buying that tax lien I'd probably work with the guy, but in the end my sympathy is limited by the fact that the house that is apparently so very important to him wasn't worth the time to make sure he had everything needful paid off. Heck, Indiana lets you check online for your taxes: did this fellow just...not do that?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have an exception from the state of Indiana that should effectively wipe out my property tax. (Disabled Veteran)

I went to the County to register it last year. I walked out with the assurance that it was all taken care of.

I got a tax bill this year showing last years taxes, a penalty for last years taxes and this years taxes.

I went into the county this year and was told that that exemption has never been applied to a mobile home.

So, I paid it all and very politely told the ladies thank you for your help.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I would think it would be a requirement that an owner receive some type of registered mailing informing him of the impending sheriff’s sale of the real estate. Apparently not. Regardless, apparently the owner didn’t ensure he had a written approval of his request concerning deferment of the tax payment.

According to information in the article I think it’s reasonable to say the Sheriff’s office does share some some culpability.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have found when dealing with gov't at all levels that you have to really push to get them to converse via email, something I interpret as a desire not to leave a paper trail which in turn makes them likely to overpromise and not follow through

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have found when dealing with gov't at all levels that you have to really push to get them to converse via email, something I interpret as a desire not to leave a paper trail which in turn makes them likely to overpromise and not follow through

Yes, and you really do need paper copies of everything.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "Greatest Generation" apparently renamed.

Also, Generation X doesn't exist anymore.

DxUvFyXUUAUkqm8

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

You mean to tell me that if I don't pay my taxes, fail to follow-up on a benefit I apply for, ignore what I am guessing is numerous peices of mail (I know how this works) I can lose my home?

Shocking. :coffee:

I hope this can get figured out for him because I'd hate to see anyone on the street, but geez, this is primarily (if not completely) on him. Oh, and his story about the applying twice, post cards, calling being told false information....it's pegging my BS meter. My take (speculation based upon experience) is that he's covering for his inaction. Like a lot of people, he just figured that it would all work out somehow.

Someone asked him: "there's a program to get your taxes lowered, did you apply?"

- "Sure, sure I did, I got a postcard confirming that I was accepted."

- Deputy asks about it again: "you could lose your home, did you see if there is some kind of program to help you with your taxes?"

- "I already applied and was accepted, got a postcard....but I'll apply again, knowing that I am behind on taxes, and sure, I got another postcard...which I did not keep."

"Why didn't you call to make sure you house wasn't being auctioned?"

- "I did, I did, I talked to someone, don't remember the name, who told me to talk to the Sheriff's office, don't know who I talked to there...but they told me everything was fin."

C'mon.

Oh...and it looks like he was taking full advantage if the disability "lottery". His retirement house....retirement from what?

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Greatest Generation" apparently renamed.

Also, Generation X doesn't exist anymore.

DxUvFyXUUAUkqm8

"Greatest" is before "Silent". Silent are those born before WWII, generally too young to serve in the war. That would be my parents.

...and someone must have been born between 1965 and 1980.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Greatest" is before "Silent". Silent are those born before WWII, generally too young to serve in the war. That would be my parents.

Nope! Never happened.

It's funny how people change the designations of "generations" years and decades after the terms were first applied. When the term GenX was first used, it was intended to apply to people born from 1960-1980. It makes no sense for people to change that or any other.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My mother would disagree. She gave birth to three, 10ish pound, bouncing baby boys in that span of years.

She is still whining about it.:rolleyes:

Nope! The chart clearly shows no generation in those years. In fact, it means that I don't exist!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

This must be the silent generation. Call the Sheriff and explain that your generation wasn't counted before they sell your house. You have to apply and follow up. Did you get a post card saying you had been accepted into a cute name generation?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My mother would disagree. She gave birth to three, 10ish pound, bouncing baby boys in that span of years.

She is still whining about it.:rolleyes:

Obviously not a member of the silent generation.

My mom was born in 1928, and she won't shut up, either. I was at the tail end of the baby boom..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom