"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just don't see it as a big deal.

Letting an 11 year old drive a bus full of students? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It would be different if it were the driver and maybe her own kid, in an abandoned parking lot, but driving part of the route with the students (not to mention other vehicles and pedestrians) present? A lot could've gone wrong.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah, I saw a Boone Grove sign in the background, but it had just been on our local news and they said Valparaiso so I guess that's what stuck with me. I thought Boone Grove might have been the school's name or something.

Valparaiso is not "incorrect". Boone Grove is the name of the school system. It is an area out in unincorporated Porter County. I used to own some property out there. The mailing address is Valparaiso. I was just pointing out that the school system was not the Valparaiso schools...but that's probably only important to locals.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Letting an 11 year old drive a bus full of students? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It would be different if it were the driver and maybe her own kid, in an abandoned parking lot, but driving part of the route with the students (not to mention other vehicles and pedestrians) present? A lot could've gone wrong.

It's in the middle of nowhere, not in a downtown.
    Tell her not to do it again. Make a mark in the record. Move on.

Firing and charging with child endangerment.
    Give me a break.

Are we going to start charging parents who do that, or worse?
    We don't need to fire everyone for every mistake.
    Educate people
    Move on
    They keep making those mistakes then fire them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Give me a break.

Educate people
    Move on

I'd guess the school system realizes the ****storm and lawsuits that would've ensued had there been an accident, even if nobody got hurt. I think that is the reason for the charges and firing. She got lucky, and nothing happened, but if it had? She'd have still been fired and charged, but there would've been a lot of money changing hands.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd guess the school system realizes the ****storm and lawsuits that would've ensued had there been an accident, even if nobody got hurt. I think that is the reason for the charges and firing. She got lucky, and nothing happened, but if it had? She'd have still been fired and charged, but there would've been a lot of money changing hands.

Then I guess there are millions of parents that should now be fired and charged?

Like I said, corrective action.. educate person that is wrong, why it's wrong, what could happen.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Then I guess there are millions of parents that should now be fired and charged?

Like I said, corrective action.. educate person that is wrong, why it's wrong, what could happen.

I don't disagree and I would be OK with some sort of discipline rather than firing. However, I understand her being fired. Criminal charges are out of line.

My boys have been driving around my own property since they were about 12, but that is on my own property.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I get what you're saying, but in the case of a parent, they're taking their own child's life into their hands, and that's their decision to make. In the case of the bus driver, she's (potentially) endangering a bunch of other people's children. She doesn't have the right to make that decision.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get what you're saying, but in the case of a parent, they're taking their own child's life into their hands, and that's their decision to make. In the case of the bus driver, she's (potentially) endangering a bunch of other people's children. She doesn't have the right to make that decision.

Unless they are on their own street, in the middle of nowhere, they are taking other's lives at risk. Including other people's children.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't disagree and I would be OK with some sort of discipline rather than firing. However, I understand her being fired. Criminal charges are out of line.

My boys have been driving around my own property since they were about 12, but that is on my own property.

This.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is a propensity now to fire everyone for every single mistake.

You ever see someone at work that never made a mistake? It's usually because they don't do anything.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Unless they are on their own street, in the middle of nowhere, they are taking other's lives at risk. Including other people's children.

Okay, from a different perspective... in your job you work in a potentially very dangerous environment. Do you think you'd be fired if you brought in an 11 year old and let them control the pouring of molten steel? Or do you think you'd just get a talkin' to?

This situation with the bus driver wasn't the same as if she was working at a fast food joint and let some kid walk around the counter and fill up a soda cup. However benign it turned out to be, she still put an 11 year old in a position of responsibility (not to mention the illegality of an 11 year old driving a bus without a commercial driver's license) for which she was not qualified. Dereliction of duty. Maybe the criminal charges were over the top, but I think the firing was warranted.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay, from a different perspective... in your job you work in a potentially very dangerous environment. Do you think you'd be fired if you brought in an 11 year old and let them control the pouring of molten steel? Or do you think you'd just get a talkin' to?

This situation with the bus driver wasn't the same as if she was working at a fast food joint and let some kid walk around the counter and fill up a soda cup. However benign it turned out to be, she still put an 11 year old in a position of responsibility for which she was not qualified. Dereliction of duty. Maybe the criminal charges were over the top, but I think the firing was warranted.

I've blown up millions of dollars of equipment. Should I be fired?
    Cause then there would be zero people working there, except the people behind desks or those that do nothing.

Parents letting their children drive on a side street can hurt the same amount of people.
    Are we now going to collect all those parents and fire them, and sue them?
    Cause if we aren't, it's hypocritical.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No, I don't take 11 years olds.
    I have to train 18 year olds. Guess what. They listen LESS than the boy scouts I taught to shoot guns. The scouts listened.
    After I tell an 18 year old not to push this button until this gauge reads 12, guess what... THEY PUSH THE BUTTON.

So, instead of FIRING them, we TRAIN them. CORRECT them.
    If they continue to make stupid preventable mistakes, or don't learn, then they get fired.

I never said nothing should happen.
    I said, the punishment was too much for the crime.

Hell, why don't we just take the bus driver and execute her?
    Cause it's TOO MUCH.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

Give me a break.

Educate people
    Move on

Ditto. Can't see how this should be a life altering event.

Maybe shouldn't have done it but come on.....

Don

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Should a bus driver have to be trained to not let kids drive her bus, or do you think that should pretty much be an unspoken prerequisite for the job? If she truly didn't know that 1) a young person has to be at least 15 (with a permit) to drive a car, and 2) that a person must have a CDL to drive a bus, then maybe she's not cut out for that job. Nobody is wanting her executed, and I conceded that the criminal charges may have been too much. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Should a bus driver have to be trained to not let kids drive her bus, or do you think that should pretty much be an unspoken prerequisite for the job? If she truly didn't know that 1) a young person has to be at least 15 (with a permit) to drive a car, and 2) that a person must have a CDL to drive a bus, then maybe she's not cut out for that job. Nobody is wanting her executed, and I conceded that the criminal charges may have been too much. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Maybe, like me, she drove when she was 12.
    Or like my father that drove his dad to the hospital.

You may have "conceded" that criminal charges are too much, but that's what it's looking like.
    Nowadays look in the paper. Everything is FIRE, or CHARGE.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe, like me, she drove when she was 12.
    Or like my father that drove his dad to the hospital.

You may have "conceded" that criminal charges are too much, but that's what it's looking like.
    Nowadays look in the paper. Everything is FIRE, or CHARGE.

Yep, I sat on my dad's lap and drove our Plymouth Belvedere with the push button transmission on the wheel when I was probably only 6 or 7. Sadly society has become much more litigious than when we were kids. I think that's what's lead to all the "zero tolerance" policies, which lead to firings/charges.

Ah, memories... the Plymouth looked just like this one.

280px-1962_Plymouth_Belvedere_sedan_at_2015_Shenandoah_AACA_meet_01.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If I was the guy who had hired her, I'd think about what the incident tells me about her judgement. When a person does something that so clearly pegs my scale of bad judgement, I'm left wondering what if it barely registers on hers? What if that incident of bad judgement is nothing compared to what else she might do? And, if she did something worse next month, or next year, would I want to be sitting in front of my bosses explaining why I didn't fire her the first time.

The only thing that would keep me from firing her would be if it's really, really hard to find a good replacement, or maybe if hiring her in the first place was a favor to someone else that I can still enjoy the benefits of.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom