• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm not a "big" guy and usually carry a G19 or G26 IWB at 3:00. When using appendix carry, doesn't the gun/holster dig into your groin or leg when sitting down or driving?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm not a "big" guy and usually carry a G19 or G26 IWB at 3:00. When using appendix carry, doesn't the gun/holster dig into your groin or leg when sitting down or driving?

I won't speak for everyone else, but for ME, no. The only time I ever notice it is when I'm carrying a full size 1911 with a threaded (read "extra long") barrel. That extra bit is just enough that I'll occasionally notice it. I can do the same with a threaded barrel on a Glock 17 and I only notice it if I've been running it hard and the barrel is hot. Again, though, YMMV. Everyone has a different shape, wears their pants at a different "rise" level, etc. I've sat and/or driven for MANY hours carrying aiwb and generally don't even notice that it's there.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I won't speak for everyone else, but for ME, no. The only time I ever notice it is when I'm carrying a full size 1911 with a threaded (read "extra long") barrel. That extra bit is just enough that I'll occasionally notice it. I can do the same with a threaded barrel on a Glock 17 and I only notice it if I've been running it hard and the barrel is hot. Again, though, YMMV. Everyone has a different shape, wears their pants at a different "rise" level, etc. I've sat and/or driven for MANY hours carrying aiwb and generally don't even notice that it's there.
    Cool. Thanks for that info :yesway:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ok I am leaning more towards it then especially with the hand to hand comment. I found a guy who has one I am interested in buying, if it was made for a 26/27 would I be fine throwing a 19 in it and it riding ok?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ok I am leaning more towards it then especially with the hand to hand comment. I found a guy who has one I am interested in buying, if it was made for a 26/27 would I be fine throwing a 19 in it and it riding ok?

That definitely depends on the design of the holster. We have found that longer holsters work better as they tend to not be top heavy and tip out. This effect can be magnified if you have what some call a "successful life body". Those who have done this for a while usually pick a holster to fit the largest gun in a series and roll that way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That definitely depends on the design of the holster. We have found that longer holsters work better as they tend to not be top heavy and tip out. This effect can be magnified if you have what some call a "successful life body". Those who have done this for a while usually pick a holster to fit the largest gun in a series and roll that way.

Agreed!

Plus, if your slide/muzzle protrudes from the bottom of the holster, it's possible (and in some cased likely) that when you bend over it can push the gun by the muzzle end enough for the trigger guard to clear the holster. That's a good thing, especially if it falls out.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I decided to dig out the press and make my own. Having made a few Kydex sheaths, I figured I should at least try before dropping $70+ on what amounts to $5 in materials and some Dremel work.

Here it is:

408564498.jpg

She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she'll do.

408564655.jpg

I've narrowed the belt loop a bit since then so it doesn't impact my middle finger on the draw stroke.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice! Did you do the stippling on the grip too?

I haven't been able to use any of the one-loop designs, so I need the fore and aft loops. I'm too squishy.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Agreed!

Plus, if your slide/muzzle protrudes from the bottom of the holster, it's possible (and in some cased likely) that when you bend over it can push the gun by the muzzle end enough for the trigger guard to clear the holster. That's a good thing, especially if it falls out.

Yes the bending over and popping the gun out of retention and possibly out was my main concern... Thanks guys

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So this morning, I decided to give my G Code holster another try. I think if I decide it's not a keeper, I'm going to sell it and buy another Dale Fricke holster.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    So this morning, I decided to give my G Code holster another try. I think if I decide it's not a keeper, I'm going to sell it and buy another Dale Fricke holster.
    Good to know, I finalized a deal today with a fellow ingo'er for one. It allows a small amount of the muzzle to be exposed on a compact but he said he hadn't had any problems with our discussed problem and it losing retention. So i'll soon know for myself and if it doesn't work out I'll either use it for my compact or sell it I suppose but I am excited to see how it works for me.

Top Bottom