• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    It sounds like you may have made up your mind already from reading the thread, but I'd like to add my perspective.

From what I gather, you work nights, leaving him unsupervised, which is better than second shift, but still not ideal. I caution you about turning him over to the state. For two reasons, one in his eyes you will have turned your back on him abandoning him. This type of emotional trauma can stick with a kid the rest of their lives. I realize he's giving you emotional trauma right now, but hang in there it gets better.

Second, the state has just taken in their foster care system in house. It's a mess. He would likely fall through the cracks. Besides, the last thing you want to do is get the state involved in your family affairs.

You and your son need some counseling, yourself to help parent this strong willed teenager right now and him to work through his anger issues. Tough love is a very hard thing to follow, you need a support system under you.

I agree with some of the post prior that say you need to take everything away from him what he values, except his bed, the shelter over his head and your LOVE. If he won't get up off the couch from watching TV, turn the cable off so there is no TV to watch, but you have to give him an alternative on what to do. Don't let him decide how to fill his time. Yes, this will affect you also, but you are raising a human being and sacrafices will need to be made. You will think at times you are punishing yourself more than him, but don't give up.

As far as the illegal activities, such as pot. Talk to him once, lay down the ground rules. No pot or the police will be called, then stick to it. If you know where he's getting the stuff from, turn his friends in too. In fact he probably needs to find some new friends if you expect him to get away from the stuff. Peer pressure is one of the most powerful things, even adults have trouble bucking the group mentality.

About everyones advise on laying the kid out, please don't. You can show your authority and alpha status without a physical altercation. I don't mean let him hit you, defend yourself, restrain him if you must, but do not strike back. It will be very difficult with tempers are flaring, but in the long run, your son will respect you more for it. He will learn a valuable lesson about self restraint from you too.

He didn't become this way over night and the problem won't be fixed over night. It's going to take a lot of hard work on your part and sacrafices too.(it is so worth it in the end) It would be great if you and the ex could be on the same page, but if not, you still have to hold firm. Your son is worth it, help him through this difficult time in his life, don't give up on him, sounds like you're the only one in his corner.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Preface: I am 26 and my parents divorced when I was 14. Lived with mom had hard relationship with dad. Mom moved in with current husband when I turned 18 left me in the apartment, 1,500 a month rent, solo with all the bills to pay while I was a full time college student, double majoring, with part time job.

I called my dad "a name" once the next thing I remember he was sitting on the couch drinking Ice tea and asking if I needed an ice pack for my head.

at 15 the legal system will try to throw him in adult courts. I say pick your battle. Literally put him on his butt, like my dad did me, or send him to jail for theft. They don't call it tough love for nothing. My dad also always said two things 1) if you don't hate me by the time your 18 I have failed as a parent. 2) you may not like me but you will show me and everyone else proper respect either by choice or force.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Why do you keep bringing up that he and others call you paranoid? Do you have a pastor you could both go talk too? Perhaps see if there is a way to get both of you in to see a mental health professional/
    Well, to answer that truthfully, I don't need mental healthcare and I don't need a pastor. Before I can get my son this help, I need to have a dayshift job.
    The place I work now, I was hired full time through temp service. The temp service can not offer me employment again until I quit the job. From what I see, I could have told the employer I can't work nights and I would still be working there.
    The 2nd shift makes it difficult to get him setup for the help he needs. It worked great for the last 1st shift job I had. That's the problem though, it was working out to good.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I started to give you one of my usual sarcastic comments but this sounds like a serious situation. Can you get yourself and the kid into some kind of counciling? Is he capable of doing you harm? Are you capable of doing him harm?
    There is one thing certain in your post you are getting desperate and you should be. Get help if it's child services, church, school or your dutch uncle.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I started to give you one of my usual sarcastic comments but this sounds like a serious situation. Can you get yourself and the kid into some kind of counciling? Is he capable of doing you harm? Are you capable of doing him harm?
    There is one thing certain in your post you are getting desperate and you should be. Get help if it's child services, church, school or your dutch uncle.
    I agree he needs the counseling. He did fairly well before when we had family couseling. The key here is to find a dayshift job to get him back into the program.
    Serious harm from me against him, not a chance. Unless you consider a butt whippen harmful. Many do.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Well, to answer that truthfully, I don't need mental healthcare and I don't need a pastor. Before I can get my son this help, I need to have a dayshift job.
    The place I work now, I was hired full time through temp service. The temp service can not offer me employment again until I quit the job. From what I see, I could have told the employer I can't work nights and I would still be working there.
    The 2nd shift makes it difficult to get him setup for the help he needs. It worked great for the last 1st shift job I had. That's the problem though, it was working out to good.

If it's a choice between your job and your child's future/welfare, the child comes first always. Even if you have to quit your job. Another job will come along, the chance to change your son's life may not.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

These two suggestions and Expat's stuck out to me the most:

Your son is worth it, help him through this difficult time in his life, don't give up on him, sounds like you're the only one in his corner.

If it's a choice between your job and your child's future/welfare, the child comes first always. Even if you have to quit your job. Another job will come along, the chance to change your son's life may not.

Please listen to Rayne and Expat. Get counseling, and reconsider seeing a pastor. It's none of my business, but you did come here asking for advice.

If we were talking about a teenager with a strong family and background getting out of line a few times, then maybe laying him out would be the answer. But this is not going to be solved with a fistfight. And it certainly won't be solved by letting the state finish raising him.

I can't imagine many things that would destroy my soul more than knowing that I gave up on my son when he needed me the most. Your son needs his dad right now. I'm sure you have plenty of regrets in your life, just like the rest of us. Giving up on your son doesn't need to be one of them. It's time to man up and do whatever it takes to be there with him whenever you can be, to teach him how to act and how to live. Do whatever it takes, work wherever it takes. Turn your house into a boot camp and prove to him that you love him too much to watch him throw his life away.

Your job doesn't matter. Any crap he steals doesn't matter. Your son matters and you're all he's got.

Just my :twocents:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    at 15 the legal system will try to throw him in adult courts. I say pick your battle. Literally put him on his butt, like my dad did me, or send him to jail for theft. They don't call it tough love for nothing. My dad also always said two things 1) if you don't hate me by the time your 18 I have failed as a parent. 2) you may not like me but you will show me and everyone else proper respect either by choice or force.

No offense intended here, but that's awful. My dad was one of my best friends up until he died when I was 20. I don't recall us ever having major issues like anything I've seen in this thread. We were both very easy-going and played softball, golf, basketball, etc. together. We never physically fought each other because I respected him without fear of physical violence. The highlighted should definitely NOT be a parent's goal. :noway:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Nope,

I do have the problem of ammo going missing and returning as spent brass. Sometimes guns get dirty sitting in the safe......

The kids have said they are researching the problem, and will get back to me.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    This is kinda my thoughts to. But bringing this up to the wrong person can make you out to be a paranoid. It has in the past. Heck, everyone where I work thinks I'm a paranoid. It's embarassing man. The fact is, I'm not. They are!

80% of modern society are brain dead sheeple who wouldn't know their ass was on fire unless they were told so.

Who cares what they think, they don't live with the monster.

I've been thru the same things too with sheeple dipsh*ts and we will just see who has the last laugh.

You need to get him out before it escalates into something really bad.

I have no doubt the mother might be behind his actions and coaching him the whole way.

Sounds like she needs her head on a mantle and your foot planted firmly up his ass to show him once again just who the boss is.

Or, better yet, send him to the mom and let her deal with his crap.

Eventually he will turn on her, as you wont be around to be the punching bag in his sight.

Let her reap what she sows and you'll be rid of him AND get ultimate revenge on her to boot.

Feel for ya dude. And no offense, but it just makes me even more glad I never had children.

More power to ya and I hope things work out soon. :yesway:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    You need to get him out before it escalates into something really bad.

I have no doubt the mother might be behind his actions and coaching him the whole way.

Sounds like she needs her head on a mantle and your foot planted firmly up his ass to show him once again just who the boss is.

Or, better yet, send him to the mom and let her deal with his crap.

Eventually he will turn on her, as you wont be around to be the punching bag in his sight.

Let her reap what she sows and you'll be rid of him AND get ultimate revenge on her to boot.

Feel for ya dude. And no offense, but it just makes me even more glad I never had children.

More power to ya and I hope things work out soon. :yesway:

You think he should use his son's problems to get revenge on his ex?

:(

This isn't just some punk teenage kid. This is his son. You don't just give up on your son and toss him out with the trash. Judging by this thread, there's a handful of real dads here who know what I'm talking about. And quite a few who don't. And that breaks my heart.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    This is kinda my thoughts to. But bringing this up to the wrong person can make you out to be a paranoid. It has in the past. Heck, everyone where I work thinks I'm a paranoid. It's embarassing man. The fact is, I'm not. They are!

I made it to page 3 before I hit the quote button.... AND I TRIED TO MAKE IT TO THE END!!!

Listen..... If you know FOR A FACT that he is using drugs..... Catch him in the act and call the police.... They will arrest him if you let them know that you can't control it anymore..... I don't know your financial situation but a camera system with a strong box recorder in your bedroom wouldn't be a bad idea.....

I was along this path around his age.... smoking weed, stealing, and running around with the bad azz neighborhood kids.... luckily my grandfather knew the 2nd in command at the Wabash Maximum Security prison and had me taken on a tour of the SHU (Special Housing Unit) and had me meet some of the prisoners.... Kind of like scared straight before scared straight..... That really opened my eyes to where I was headed..... One prisoner was in there for 2 life sentences and his first arrest was at the age of 16......

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    How in the world do you give a man advise on how to help with his son when you have never had children. What a Monday Moron Quarterback. :xmad:

Because I have dealt with kids his age and went thru much worse.

You dont have to be a parent to know kids.

Save your insults wise guy, as I dont see much from you on how to handle this. :rolleyes:

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    You think he should use his son's problems to get revenge on his ex?

:(

This isn't just some punk teenage kid. This is his son. You don't just give up on your son and toss him out with the trash. Judging by this thread, there's a handful of real dads here who know what I'm talking about. And quite a few who don't. And that breaks my heart.

His ex is a big part of this, as it has been said.

Let her sleep in the bed she made and deal with it for awhile.

This guy has done his part and he needs a break.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Save your insults wise guy, as I dont see much from you on how to handle this. :rolleyes:

Your advice helps no one. His son will end up in prison. His ex will be the same miserable wench it sounds like she already is. And the OP will regret it for the rest of his life.

His ex is a big part of this, as it has been said.

Let her sleep in the bed she made and deal with it for awhile.

This guy has done his part and he needs a break.

Dads don't get breaks. The job doesn't end. At no point will any decent man be able to give up on his son and not hate himself for it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Wow.

Until you've felt the love a parent has felt towards their child, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Just quit while your only way, way behind. No offense, but you are making a fool out of yourself right now.

Top Bottom