• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Any veterans of an Appleseed class have any advice that they wish to pass along? I'm off to Tennessee in November.

Planning on taking a couple of M14s. (This one is a Polytech, reworked by Warbirds in Texas):

What do I need to bring? (Empty tea cup and open mind, check; if it were any more open, stuff would slosh out).:D

1255351896.jpg

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Good sling, peep site, shooting mat. -- excellent start!

Bring water (1 gal/day minimum), a folding camping chair to sit in during down time. A pen and little notepad to mark your shots and write down sight alignments (the tiny ones that are like 2 inches wide are perfect). Stapler. Plugs and Muffs in case they put you next to a loud gun -- with your rifle caliber gun you could be right next to some big boys. With my cheapo muffs I would put plugs on, too. YMMV on that one.

Check on the food situation -- do you need to bring a lunch, is there fast food nearby, etc?

Have fun -- Appleseed was one of the best days of shooting I've ever had. Trying to find time in my schedule to make it to more!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Two mags.
    400-500 rounds of ammo.
    Consider a web sling (easier than a leather sling).
    A wide brim hat if it is sunny and to keep the brass off of your neck.

There are other items which others have listed.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I'll want to hear your report when you get back, Kirk.... I really need to do an Appleseed, preferably sooner than later, before I reinforce too many bad habits....

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Yes on the 20 rounders for the AK same for AR too.
    I would recomend taking at least 5 mags because some shoot bosses have been running the rapid fire straight through AQT. To do this you need 5 mags.
    If you do not have 5 don't worry about it no need to go buy a bunch of stuff. But if you got them, do bring them.

The most important thing to bring is a teachable attitude. Try to forget what you know and try it our way, I am positive you will be pleasantly surprized if you do.
    I know I was probably 1 of the worst with this. But once I decided to do as I was being told and not what I thought I knew. Well the rest is history......gotta love the history.
    Have fun and report back.
    Where in TN are you going to? I was down in TN. a month or so ago for an Appleseed, Manchester Arnold Air Force base. Great facility!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The most important thing to bring is a teachable attitude. Try to forget what you know and try it our way, I am positive you will be pleasantly surprized if you do.

Yes, yes, I agree. Empty tea cup and all.

If you do not have 5 don't worry about it no need to go buy a bunch of stuff.

Not to worry, I have a big blue plastic tub of M14 mags and a stack of unissued mags in brown paper.:cool: I'll bring at least 5 then.:) Thanks.

I am going to the home of Brad Pitt's movie character--Sevierville, Tennessee. I'll be staying in Knoxville.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    most people "seed" with a .22,............although I'm all for using centerfire rifles, you may wanna start with a .22 and switch to centerfire later in the day. you could pay for a .22 and tech sights with the savings of one weekend, if you used the .22 alone. that being said,I shot my first appleseed with my m4gery!

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    I'll want to hear your report when you get back, Kirk.... I really need to do an Appleseed, preferably sooner than later, before I reinforce too many bad habits....

If you hurry, you might still be able to get in on this weekend(17 and 18), in Wabash. This will be my second and second attempt at mt Rifleman Patch. Hope to see some INGO folks there.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    Yes on the 20 rounders for the AK same for AR too.
    I would recomend taking at least 5 mags because some shoot bosses have been running the rapid fire straight through AQT. To do this you need 5 mags.
    If you do not have 5 don't worry about it no need to go buy a bunch of stuff. But if you got them, do bring them.

I know I was probably 1 of the worst with this. But once I decided to do as I was being told and not what I thought I knew. Well the rest is history......gotta love the history.
    Have fun and report back.

Where in TN are you going to? I was down in TN. a month or so ago for an Appleseed, Manchester Arnold Air Force base. Great facility!

First, Hey Mud Cat. Good to see you here! Looking forward to this weekends Seed! Got some practice in, and I'll be banging on the door, if not bustn it down!

Next, hope for rain at your Seed. The harder it rained at my last, (and first), the more fun I had. Open mind and good attitude is a must have. If you didn't bring anything but, you'll succeed.

Anyone going to Wabash, send me a message, and maybe we can buddy up. :patriot::cheers: Leaving from Carmel.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    What NEOCON said
    M1A, M14 is the rifle the program was buit around
    Your rifle, at least 5 mags 4 to 500 rounds ( if the class goes well)
    Proper clothing,hearing protection of course, a shooting mat, cleaning rod & for the M1A, your tools, gas plug wrench etc.
    A sling is a MUST
    A shooting jacket (military type) and knee & elbow pads
    Plenty of food & drink
    If you have the ammo & want to learn on your M1A thats what I recomend, Not only will you be learning the 6 steps you will be doing it on the rifle you may need and getting more familiar with it.
    In the mean time spend 1/2 hour every evening peacticing dry fire exersizes in your home , getting into the positions of Sitting,kenneling & prone.
    You will be going from the standing to prone & sitting positions a LOT
    I guarantee by the end of the second day you will be Hurting
    But it will be a good kind of hurt. It will be the pain of the smile that you can't wipe from your face, the pain that you wish you could have scored just a bit more , the pain of your back, knees & elbows because you have not used then that much in a long time.
    But more than anything else it will be the pain/joy you feel of Liberty the feeling of all who came before us the feeling they felt July 19, 1775

It will really be a life changing moving experience, take it all in it will be fun I'm sure.
    One of the first Red hats but because of Weddings, Funerals & personal issues have not had the chance to wear it in a bit more than 2 years now

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Yes, yes, I agree. Empty tea cup and all.

Not to worry, I have a big blue plastic tub of M14 mags and a stack of unissued mags in brown paper.:cool: I'll bring at least 5 then.:) Thanks.

I am going to the home of Brad Pitt's movie character--Sevierville, Tennessee. I'll be staying in Knoxville.

Go the the Orangery on Kingston Pike for dinner, Its excellent you'll love it...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    On further review it appears I will be in Maynardville, Tennessee (which was the given hometown of Brad Pitt's character) for the Appleseed event.

I apologize for any misinformation.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Basic Appleseed Packing list

Here is a basic list of what to take.

Class gear – take to the range

Primary rifle
    2-5 magazines, 10-20 rounds each
    Mag loaders
    USGI type sling with quick
    600 rounds ammo
    ear muffs
    Range bag
    Eye protection
    Sunglasses
    ponchos
    elbow pads
    ground pads –tarps and carpet pieces
    Baseball hat
    Granola bars/snacks for class and lunch
    Staple gun and extra staples. Put name on it
    small notepad, pens
    Paperwork from the class sign-up
    Sunscreen
    Water, ice, in cooler
    bug spray
    folding chair
    old towel to cover your rifle in direct sun (during the summer months)
    several contractor grade plastic bags (to cover gear if it rains)

Have with you but leave in the car

Backup rifle, mags, and ammo
    Basic cleaning kit
    Flashlight

Top Bottom