• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    An appleseed sounds like a great thing, problem for me is incorrect equipment.

The closest thing I have is an older yugo K98 clone or the Mosin M44, neither with any optics.

Though I would be willing to try with either of those, as the last time I had the M44 out I was able to hit a 8.5x11 paper 6/9 at 100 yds off a bench. (old milsurp ammo).

I would love to learn better technique.

Our usual maxim is "we run what you brung". You bring whatever rifle you want and we'll teach you the techniques we know work.

The original premise to which we still hold is that we will teach you how to pick up any rack-grade rifle with surplus ammo and iron sights and hit a 4MOA target out to ~ 500 yards, aka the "Rifleman's quarter mile".

The course of fire is modeled on the M1 Garand with it's 8 rd. en-bloc clip.

There is also the posting about the $99.99 rifle... Cabela's or Dick's, I forget which, has for sale. IIRC, I think it's a Marlin 795.

If worst comes to worst, let us know and many of the instructors have a rifle available for loan; usually a 10/22 "Liberty Training Rifle"

Blessings,
    Bill

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    So it's designed for iron sites. Awesome.

Sounds like I just need to pick up another crate of whichever ammo I want to use (or both and use the other as a backup) and show up!

Probably next year, as ammo's not in the budget (don't have quite enough sitting at home -- those old bolt guns are too much fun to shoot to let ammunition get stale :p)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So it's designed for iron sites. Awesome.

Sounds like I just need to pick up another crate of whichever ammo I want to use (or both and use the other as a backup) and show up!

Probably next year, as ammo's not in the budget (don't have quite enough sitting at home -- those old bolt guns are too much fun to shoot to let ammunition get stale :p)

Yep. 450+ rounds of the same kind of ammo for a weekend. You can find our upcoming shoot schedule at Appleseed Schedule.

Blessings,
    Bill

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Our usual maxim is "we run what you brung". You bring whatever rifle you want and we'll teach you the techniques we know work.

The original premise to which we still hold is that we will teach you how to pick up any rack-grade rifle with surplus ammo and iron sights and hit a 4MOA target out to ~ 500 yards, aka the "Rifleman's quarter mile".

I'd like to ask, if I may, how many of the Indiana instructors have actually done this?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'd like to ask, if I may, how many of the Indiana instructors have actually done this?

I have right along side of DaveD down in KY last year and me alone over in Ohio a couple months back in Gibsonburg. I know Hawkhavn has. I would feel confident that WRWIII and HootersBilly has, but they can speak up for themselves. NEOCON and the three trainers in his family have (and they can do it any day they want because they are at Redbrush - I am so jelous!). Oh, and Sur+Rifle too as it is his home range.

Those are the ones I can speak for directly. But any that I have missed will be along sooner or later to chime in.

We try hard to get our new instructors out and to a 500 yard range as a kinda right of passage thing. Not to mention, they have a ball doing it!

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the quick response.

It's nice to hear that people are still shooting rifles at Redbrush. They quit shooting Highpower there a few years ago and I miss the monthly trek down there.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    An appleseed sounds like a great thing, problem for me is incorrect equipment.

I've never tried an Appleseed shoot, though I'd like to in the future. I decided to pick up a 795 after I saw someone point out that the money saved by shooting 22lr all weekend instead of a larger caliber would probably cover the cost of a new 22. That might be worth considering if you're not sure about your equipment.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Litlratt,

Hold to a 4 MOA standard? All of 'em, otherwise they would not be instructors. A few of our Instructors in Training may not have, but that hurdle gets cleared before they become Instructors.

Hawkhavn

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Litlratt,

Hold to a 4 MOA standard? All of 'em, otherwise they would not be instructors. A few of our Instructors in Training may not have, but that hurdle gets cleared before they become Instructors.

Hawkhavn

Thanks Hawk.

Regarding this 4 moa standard. Is it required at distance or at 25 yards/meters only?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks Hawk.

Regarding this 4 moa standard. Is it required at distance or at 25 yards/meters only?

That's the beauty of 4MOA, it doesn't change with range. 4MOA at 10 feet is the same as 4MOA at 500 meters.

of course I'm going to guess by your avatar, you knew that.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Want to make sure

I want to make sure that I am understanding everything. These appleseeds sound interesting and I really want to go to one. Am I clear that a ruger 10/22 with 5 twenty+ round magazines, 500 rounds of ammo and the "web sling" that they recommend is adaquate to do the course? Are there further resources where I can read up/practice before I go?

I have had formal training with pistol and shotgun and I used to shoot distinguished expert with my pistol on a PPC course, but I have never been formally trained with a rifle.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Hi Eddie,

I just attended my first Appleseed over this last weekend (Nov 28/29).

The equipment i used for the weekend were as follows:

Hearing protection.
    Eye protection.
    Shooting mat (mine was a thomas the tank throw rug thingy)
    ruger 10/22, with tech sites
    2, 10 round magazines.
    1 sharpie
    1 staple gun.

You don't need to bring the staple gun if you don't have one. there will be lots of loaners.

I'd recommend above everything else, Go with an open mind, willing to do what the instructors tell you. Everything is presented in layers. Designed to bring you from a cook, to a rifleman.

You will not need more than 13 rounds for any one course of fire. So twenty round magazines aren't required.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Thanks!

Thanks to both of you. I have bookmarked the websites and look forward to reading them. Unfortunately unless my season drastically changes and I limit out, I will be deer hunting on the 19th. Training is good, but I need the meat in my deep freeze right now. I will look forward to attending an appleseed in the spring.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Littleratt,

Lars nailed it:), if you can't hold 4 MOA at 25m, you can't hold it at 500m, and you have to reliably hold to a 4 MOA group to score a 210 on the AQT target.

Hawkhavn

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Littleratt,

Lars nailed it:), if you can't hold 4 MOA at 25m, you can't hold it at 500m, and you have to reliably hold to a 4 MOA group to score a 210 on the AQT target.

Hawkhavn

I fully agree with this, and that is why I asked.

The fact that you can hold 4moa at 25m has absolutely nothing to do with whether you can hold 4moa at 500m.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    I've never tried an Appleseed shoot, though I'd like to in the future. I decided to pick up a 795 after I saw someone point out that the money saved by shooting 22lr all weekend instead of a larger caliber would probably cover the cost of a new 22. That might be worth considering if you're not sure about your equipment.

Well, I planned on using an old milsurp rifle with milsurp ammunition at least the first time out (.25/rnd isn't too bad) because I already own the rifle, and any ammo I don't use at the appleseed will definitely go to good use down the road. Plus I like shooting my old bolt rifles a lot more than my .22. If I can do 4 MOA with the heavy recoil of those old beauties, I ought to be downright scary with a modern weapon :)

Heck, I've fired an AR, an SKS and a couple of other more "modern" weapons, but I always come back to my Mosin and Mauser pattern. Apparently I *like* the thump. (not to say the AR and others aren't fine weapons in their own right - as they are, and I don't have the $$ for an M1 just yet).

Top Bottom