Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Indecision, Whoops, hadn't caught that you were not at Ft. Bragg! In that case thank you for your service, keep safe and we'll see you upon your return. Hawkhavn

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm currently attending. Yesterday (first day) we burned through around 300 rounds of ammo. I believe one of the AR guys ran out.

Shooting mats are nice; I'm using a WWII military blanket that's part of my bed roll. Seems appropriate.

This time of year, LOTS of warm clothing. I had five layers on yesterday. Today will be the same.

Lube. I had one stovepipe because the bolt was getting dry. This was toward the end of the day. A couple drops of OTIS cleaner cleared that up, but it shouldn't have happened. I was able to clear and go on, but this was during a 55 second timed shoot and I had to hurry a shot.

Don't wear an orange hat. This is what the line officers wear! Theirs has lettering on it though, and mine's so warm I ain't giving it up today! :D

Dependable ammo. I had a misfire with a Win333 and had to clear it, finish the string, load it, and fire it. My choice; I had 10 seconds. You gotta be fast, but the malfunction not happening would have been nicer.

I keep a 2qt military canteen at the prep line.

First aid supplies. Plenty of ibuprofen. Too, I have stick on heat pads. They help keep my muscles limber when off the firing line and help keep me warm too.

Get some stuff from your pharmacy (probably have to order it) called NutraShield. It is a bit expensive, but we use it in the health care industry and it is eXtremely good for dry and cracked hands.

A bit of good will. A kid's rifle wasn't shooting well with the ammo he had, so I gave him some hollowpointed and resized .22. He shot a one hole group with one flier. Unfortunately I'm out of the stuff now.

If you don't pre-register, it will cost you around $10 more at the door.

That's what I can think of, right now. I'll report back after today. Still have a bolt to clean and then have to get ready for round 2.

Josh <><

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    A couple drops of OTIS cleaner cleared that up, but it shouldn't have happened.

I recommend picking up some Break Free CLP, I've tried many different kinds. Otis is by far the worst experience i've had and Break Free has been the best. Hell, when I got to Afghanistan last deployment, my first team leader made me throw away the otis I had. Just some food for thought.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I actually got to give it a proper cleaning this morning. Stoned the sear a bit while I was at it. Breaks very nicely now. The drag was really giving me the creeps.

Put some stuff on it that shouldn't fail.

I would like some dry lube. Any recommendations? Was going to use a pencil, but with Al parts I'm not comfortable with this.

Thanks,

Josh <><

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I need to get a rifle more suitable for appleseed anyway. All I have is a scoped Remington 700 and an FS2000.

Nothing wrong with getting your own rifle, but if your budget doesn't allow it, I'll bet there are dozens of rifles being cybernetically thrown to you right now. Heck, didn't I offer you a rifle on another thread for something else?

Take care,
    Dean

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I need to get a rifle more suitable for appleseed anyway. All I have is a scoped Remington 700 and an FS2000.

Funny you should mention a FS2000! The first Appleseed I went to had a husband/wife team with two brand new space rifles and all new gear. They were stunning.

Day two as they stood there, muddy, tired, and a bit worn out, she was still stunning with her new Rifleman's patch and he was squinting with frustration. I think it was a quiet ride home... ;)

How soon will you be back, Indecision? I look forward to meeting you and having you at a 'seed when you are all caught up on your rest.

Stay safe, take care of business, and thank you for your service. Then get back here and bring that FS2000 to the line for some fun shooting!

:patriot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys have me wanting to do an Appleseed again. The Mini 'Seed I attended was compromised by some unpleasant weather . . . must try again!

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Funny you should mention a FS2000! The first Appleseed I went to had a husband/wife team with two brand new space rifles and all new gear. They were stunning.

Day two as they stood there, muddy, tired, and a bit worn out, she was still stunning with her new Rifleman's patch and he was squinting with frustration. I think it was a quiet ride home... ;)

How soon will you be back, Indecision? I look forward to meeting you and having you at a 'seed when you are all caught up on your rest.

Stay safe, take care of business, and thank you for your service. Then get back here and bring that FS2000 to the line for some fun shooting!

:patriot:

I will be home on leave in june, then home for good somewhere between Aug 1 and Sep 1. But I still have a year left in the Army when I get back, if I do an Appleseed in that time frame. It will be in/around NC. As for the FS2000, I got one with the 1.6x scope already on it. I thought one of the main points of the appleseed was iron sights. I don't have iron sights on either of my rifles. And it may look like a space rifle, but it's the most comfortable rifle I've ever held. :ar15:

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    bwframe,

Sure, two more in fact! NOV 21-22 at Ft.Wayne and NOV 28-29 at Riley (Terre Haute).

See you at one?

Hawkhavn

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I will be home on leave in june, then home for good somewhere between Aug 1 and Sep 1. But I still have a year left in the Army when I get back, if I do an Appleseed in that time frame. It will be in/around NC. As for the FS2000, I got one with the 1.6x scope already on it. I thought one of the main points of the appleseed was iron sights. I don't have iron sights on either of my rifles. And it may look like a space rifle, but it's the most comfortable rifle I've ever held. :ar15:

We don't care if you use irons or a scope. If you are new to rifles, knowing irons first is useful just as knowing a stick shift is useful, but I am guessing that you have had plenty of time with irons and grasp how they work. :):

In any case, irons/scope/reddot we make no distinction at all and so bring the FS2000! Our greatest preference is that you bring your rifle and use it. "We run what you brung" is one of our mottos.

All those soldiers we just trained at Ft. Stewart were using optics and that was great - the point was to teach them on their stuff in order to make them the most effective they could be in their mission, and hopefully to increase the chances of them coming home safe.

Hope you can come when you get back, we will have a place on the line for you just waiting!

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Appleseed

I have just purchased my tickets for both days next April for the Appleseed event in Cloverdale IN. Thanks for mentioning it, I was not aware of this great opportunity.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have just purchased my tickets for both days next April for the Appleseed event in Cloverdale IN. Thanks for mentioning it, I was not aware of this great opportunity.

Excellent! April 19th is a very important day in Appleseed, one we hope to make an important day (again) in America. Next year, it falls on a Monday, so we have our commemorative shoot the preceding weekend. You've picked a great time to come out with us, and if I'm not working at another shoot that day, I hope to meet you there.

ETA: Oh, and :welcome: to :ingo:! :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My experience was miserable.

I went down to Tennessee for my Appleseed. We started shooting immediately and without zeroing and without any instruction as to slinging rifle positioning, etc. I was flabbergasted, but did the drill.

My rifle was off, way off. We then shot at the black squares and my rifle was still off (I sent rounds into the dirt in front of the target, fragging my target and the one next to it). At lunch break I asked to shoot so I could zero and not hold up the class. No such luck.

After lunch I chased the zero more and more and more. The instructors were baffled (even shooting my rifle) and one wanted me to try a loaner (which I would not be able to take with me).

At 3:00PM I thought about quitting. I was falling way behind and was frustrated (this is to put it politely). I protested that my shooting was a complete exercise if futility and begged a spotting scope and put up a new black square (5 1" black squares at 25 yards).

I got a "rough zero" that still shot high but windage was perfect. I shot an AQT target and did well but screwed up the order on the bottom row. My second AQT was worse. We did a Redcoat target and I did well (figured out the hold), but pulled my head shot low and called it low (at least I know how I screwed that one up).

A long frustrating day . . . however, I learned a lot. I was badly prepared but even if you auger into the ground like I did and were less than pleased with the instruction or the way the class was run, at least you learn a great deal.

I learned:

1. My 1907 shooting sling is a highly specialized instrument. The web sling that Appleseed recommends is far more utilitarian and faster.

2. Do not go with an unzero'd rifle. I took my rifle down after only a function fire after the rebuild. The front sight must have been altered, modified upon installation of the Vortex flash suppressor.

3. I am getting to the age where I may need elbow pads. My right elbow (my trigger hand) is killing me as I type this.

4. I am buying a compact spotting scope and know what other things to put in my range bag.

I post this as someone may learn from this. I'm going back as I believe that Appleseed is a worthwhile endeavour. If anything this experience forces me to face my weakness (which just happens to be the rifle).

My last rifle class was April 2003 (Thunder Ranch, Texas), everything else has been handgun, shotgun, carbine, machine pistol, tactics, inter alia. Years ago my uncle told me that "rifles are like dogs. You have to put in love and time." He was right!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Consider a web sling (easier than a leather sling).

Boy, you were spot on, tech, my friend!:D

If I do stick with the 1907, I'm going to get one of those oversized keepers that Clint Smith uses on his slings. However, that websling arrangement is the bee's knees.

Live and learn . . . eventually I'll learn!;)

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The gun handling was fantastic. I was very impressed with muzzle discipline. We had one ND. Someone shot too soon (bullet went down range and completely safe, but someone got anxious).

The instructors were enthusiastic about what they were doing. Despite my own internal frustration, I could not help but notice their concern for what they were doing.

The people there were all fantastic and zealous about what they were doing.

I will not let my own disappointment prevent me from returning. Live and learn and all that.:)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My experience was miserable.

I went down to Tennessee for my Appleseed. We started shooting immediately and without zeroing and without any instruction as to slinging rifle positioning, etc. I was flabbergasted, but did the drill.

My rifle was off, way off. We then shot at the black squares and my rifle was still off (I sent rounds into the dirt in front of the target, fragging my target and the one next to it). At lunch break I asked to shoot so I could zero and not hold up the class. No such luck.

After lunch I chased the zero more and more and more. The instructors were baffled (even shooting my rifle) and one wanted me to try a loaner (which I would not be able to take with me).

At 3:00PM I thought about quitting. I was falling way behind and was frustrated (this is to put it politely). I protested that my shooting was a complete exercise if futility and begged a spotting scope and put up a new black square (5 1" black squares at 25 yards).

I got a "rough zero" that still shot high but windage was perfect. I shot an AQT target and did well but screwed up the order on the bottom row. My second AQT was worse. We did a Redcoat target and I did well (figured out the hold), but pulled my head shot low and called it low (at least I know how I screwed that one up).

A long frustrating day . . . however, I learned a lot. I was badly prepared but even if you auger into the ground like I did and were less than pleased with the instruction or the way the class was run, at least you learn a great deal.

I learned:

1. My 1907 shooting sling is a highly specialized instrument. The web sling that Appleseed recommends is far more utilitarian and faster.

2. Do not go with an unzero'd rifle. I took my rifle down after only a function fire after the rebuild. The front sight must have been altered, modified upon installation of the Vortex flash suppressor.

3. I am getting to the age where I may need elbow pads. My right elbow (my trigger hand) is killing me as I type this.

4. I am buying a compact spotting scope and know what other things to put in my range bag.

I post this as someone may learn from this. I'm going back as I believe that Appleseed is a worthwhile endeavour. If anything this experience forces me to face my weakness (which just happens to be the rifle).

My last rifle class was April 2003 (Thunder Ranch, Texas), everything else has been handgun, shotgun, carbine, machine pistol, tactics, inter alia. Years ago my uncle told me that "rifles are like dogs. You have to put in love and time." He was right!

Let me commend you on having the spirit of endurance that, unlike all else, cannot be taught, it just has to exist and you have it!

As for having a tough time, it can happen and mechanical problems can make a hard series of lessons harder out of pure distraction and frustration. That is one reason we bring loaner with us. We usually do our best to stay with the first rifle, but some times that is not possible. Oh, and I learned the very same lesson about the 1907 sling - it is awesome, cool but very slow and pinches.

Did you do only one day? Some students who get near the boiling point are able to come back on Sunday and make it happen after getting a good night's sleep and squaring away the mechanicals. If you were a Saturday only, I worry you left only at the height of frustration.

Will you be able to come to either of the shoots this month? Or perhaps a mini next month? I would love to meet you in person and work with you directly!

And do not take too much from having a hard time the first time out. I did not make rifleman until my third event and then it all clicked for me. My first was an exercise in humility (which is good as I occasionally get big for my britches, or so my wife says).

PM me, and let's get you back for more and make the next time even better!

Top Bottom