Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That is what we are looking at right now. $670 for an R-1S and $625 for an unknown. The extra $50 could put him in a Springer.

I have seen the spherical bushings. You seem to like them. Worth the effort???

I do like them, but only if the pistol has a bit of barrel binding happening. The Remington barrel bushing to barrel fit was very good, but just before the slide would return to battery, the bushing would bind a bit and the barrel would be pulled forward and try to engage the upper lugs before they were lined up. Just about every Remington I've looked at has that slight catch just before the barrel returns to battery and the angled bore bushing eliminates it. I'm sure that shooting would eventually eliminate it too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do like them, but only if the pistol has a bit of barrel binding happening. The Remington barrel bushing to barrel fit was very good, but just before the slide would return to battery, the bushing would bind a bit and the barrel would be pulled forward and try to engage the upper lugs before they were lined up. Just about every Remington I've looked at has that slight catch just before the barrel returns to battery and the angled bore bushing eliminates it. I'm sure that shooting would eventually eliminate it too.

Makes sense. Most of the time I am trying to tighten those tolerances.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Not bad paint job for a race car.....:)

Not bad at all! The one I'm building is just a small tire street car. With The Auburn posi unit and 3.73s, she'll lay double black as long as you've got the balls to stay in it! I'm afraid that even with the subframe connectors, she'd twist herself up if she DID hook!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not bad at all! The one I'm building is just a small tire street car. With The Auburn posi unit and 3.73s, she'll lay double black as long as you've got the balls to stay in it! I'm afraid that even with the subframe connectors, she'd twist herself up if she DID hook!

I could set this one up to get up on the rear Valence if I wanted it to. Not going forward if you are climbing the ring gear. Set up as pictured car ran constant 6.10's eighth mile. 9.60's quarter.
    If I pulled the ballast (car was legal to 6.40/9.90) and put the right chips/tune up in it high 5's and low 9's with little effort. Ran Super pro/Pro with it.

Yes they will twist. I learned that the hard way. 70 Nova with LS-6 and 4 speed way back in the day. Passenger door would pop loose in 2nd gear. Frame rack....frame ties and it helped.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I could set this one up to get up on the rear Valence if I wanted it to. Not going forward if you are climbing the ring gear. Set up as pictured car ran constant 6.10's eighth mile. 9.60's quarter.
    If I pulled the ballast (car was legal to 6.40/9.90) and put the right chips/tune up in it high 5's and low 9's with little effort. Ran Super pro/Pro with it.

Yes they will twist. I learned that the hard way. 70 Nova with LS-6 and 4 speed way back in the day. Passenger door would pop loose in 2nd gear. Frame rack....frame ties and it helped.
    Were I smarter, I'd have back halfed it, right outa the gate! Especially since I already took it down this far!
    391948_288406427865359_58843402_n.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like my Camaro. New quarters and in between. It had been hit in the back and the front. Lots of twisting and re-aligning. The doors were in good shape and the top. Everything else was toast. We were planing on restoring it for street duty but way to much damage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So the Camaro was built to be trailer and we went to Arizona to get this.
    It became my street/track car. 4200 pounds with me in the seat. 11:90's through the mufflers in street tune. Look close and you will see air under the left front. I could leave harder and get both up but it was not much faster that way. Uncorked/tuned and nitrous 2nd gear on would net a brisk low 11 pass.
    Not bad for a street car

Top Bottom