• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Had an interesting day today. My front track bar bolt went missing today. It's long gone.

Had to borrow my wife's Grand Cherokee.

Supposedly Champion Dodge will have the bolt for me in the morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Had an interesting day today. My front track bar bolt went missing today. It's long gone.

Had to borrow my wife's Grand Cherokee.

Supposedly Champion Dodge will have the bolt for me in the morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Been there, done that!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Red loctite that bad boy.
    I had one pop loose, at an intersection, with an "S" in the middle and 4 lanes each direction......once was enough.
    I kept it in my lane even, miracle.
    That was an XJ with lift, a shorter wheelbase and lift might.................... have been too exciting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My exp shows red to not be as permanent as some claim or believe.
    I use it, and rarely use heat to get them apart. Do save it for larger coarse thread apps.
    Hell, I by stack up of variables, probably use heat more on non Loctited bolts ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wife got me a set of KC long range light with windshield brackets for Christmas.

Now I just need to figure out the best location for the light switch...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wife's LIberty was dead yesterday, no gauge (WTH kind of Jeep has no voltage gauge???).
    Put new battery in today.
    On way back with new battery my ZJ loses power steering. Threw a belt.
    Old aluminum power steering bracket is toast.
    Got one coming tomorrow morning. Close by junkyards don't have any.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    good evening ladies and gents,

I am about to finish a project truck and am looking for a used in good condition or new Warn winch. 12K would work best but might be able to use some 16K models also. please email if you have something that may work. i will pay up to $1000 depending on condition. drive safe on this cold evening.

thanks in advance

pete

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I had to give up my 93 Jeep Cherokee last week (Firestone crunched it and it is worth so little they will probably cash me out) so went out and bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Loved my Jeep and expected to get another 40K out of it (262K).

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well, I had to give up my 93 Jeep Cherokee last week (Firestone crunched it and it is worth so little they will probably cash me out) so went out and bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Loved my Jeep and expected to get another 40K out of it (262K).

What drove you to the FJ?

I'm at 215k with my '01 XJ....Looking forward to hitting 300k....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mine's still only 2wd. Good MTR's on the back.............should be fine.
    Hell I drove rear wheel drive cars back in the day with reg tires...............in plenty of snow. Most times it was a 1 car through intersection type of deal, but everybody else was comparably equipped LOL.

The Liberty is functional 4wd..........but it's a ........................Liberty.
    Yeah, I don't need bread or milk either.

But am out of printer ink :(

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What drove you to the FJ?

I'm at 215k with my '01 XJ....Looking forward to hitting 300k....

As long as it does not rust out (in the uniframe) before 300K you should make it easy. My uniframe was still good on my XJ but the other body rust was getting bad. I had to caulk above my windshield due to rusting out and water soaking the headliner. I am really kind of bummed that Firestone crunched it because I feel I could get another 40K out of it easy. What it needed was a new master cyl, rear axle seal and a little other brake work. Other than that everything worked and it was totally reliable.

Nothing drove me to the FJ. Because of the Jeep fiasco, I started looking for something to replace it since Firestone still has it and it is in claims. I really did not want to buy a car at this time but I am glad I did due to the snow we are getting.

I need something to pull my trailer and wanted a 4x4 for Winter since my Summer car is not very good in snow (as in impossible). I seriously considered finding another XJ. You can get them pretty cheap and still find them with 100K or so or less if you are lucky. I bought mine with 193K on the ODO for $2,000 and drove it to 262K with only about $2,000 in maintenance over about 11 years. I think it is a great vehicle and very useful. I was out looking for maybe a 4x4 pickup and ran across the FJ. I didn't know anything about them. Went home and did some research and was impressed by what I read. From what I can tell, another 300K car and I like that it is kind of funky. Used, the prices are high (highest car to retain it's value on the market) and I did have a budget and it was very close to my budget and priced below market value because it had sat on their lot too long. I got a good price. 2014 will be the last year for the FJ in the US though they just introduced them in the Philippines.

The FJ is body on frame construction and like the Jeep, has levers to put it into 4L and LL instead of push buttons. Things that I liked about the old Jeeps. Mine also has a rear diff lock.

I love Jeeps (the new ones not so much) and may end up with another but this time it would be a Wrangler at least before the V6s and maybe more for fun than everyday use. Love the straight 6 but I also had 4 cyl Jeeps a couple of times over the years and liked them too.

My Jeep:

wintercar.png

My FJ:

izw1.jpg

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Know how to tell a Jeeper? When they cover up half the grill when it is going to be really cold so the engine gets up to operating temp. faster. A pizza box is good for that. If I wanted to, I could make my Jeep sponsored by Pizza Hut, but I didn't.

Top Bottom