• ...and so much more!
  • Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    IMG_0440.jpg

My baby, 79 doghouse and radiator, 88 frame narrowed 2"s, 88 tub, AMX 390 .60 over, holley 4D fuel injection, All MSD engine management, dyno'd at 470HP at flywheel, A904 trans, 5.88gears, OX lockers both ends, Atlas II with rear disconnect all spinning 35x14.50 boggers. When we lived in Chicago it was my daily driver, tagged and emission exempted. Moved to Porter county and Indiana refuses to plate it...
    But they gave me a permit to carry!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    View attachment 24236

My baby, 79 doghouse and radiator, 88 frame narrowed 2"s, 88 tub, AMX 390 .60 over, holley 4D fuel injection, All MSD engine management, dyno'd at 470HP at flywheel, A904 trans, 5.88gears, OX lockers both ends, Atlas II with rear disconnect all spinning 35x14.50 boggers. When we lived in Chicago it was my daily driver, tagged and emission exempted. Moved to Porter county and Indiana refuses to plate it...
    But they gave me a permit to carry!

why wouldn't they plate it?

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    FWIW, got my bumperettes used, think I paid 35 bucks for 'em. Now I gotta get 2 more for the back, assuming the POS makes it through winter LOL.
    What size lift and tires do you have on your jeep? That is what he wants to do with his but he has to pay off the first bank of dad first. He has a white one also but his is the Laredo model.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What size lift and tires do you have on your jeep? That is what he wants to do with his but he has to pay off the first bank of dad first. He has a white one also but his is the Laredo model.

I have 3.5" of lift and run 32x11.50's.
    Cheap lift- put front springs in back (V8 springs ride a little rough). That gave me 3.5" of lift in the back. Ordered new front coils, but they were only 3", so I slapped in a spacer to even that out. T case was dropped 1". Rear trac bar has a beefy offset bracket bolted and welded to axle. Front has offset bracket bolted/welded in. Those suck. Just get an adjustable trac bar for the front.

249 went to crap, has a 242 in it now. Picked up a couple MPG but figure it'll grenade when slammed offroad. I've blown two up in reg XJ's on 31's.

Front control arms are fixed length Rocky Road. I really liked my Rubicon Express superflex on my XJ's, but rubber at both ends makes for a little nicer ride on the ZJ.
    Non adjustable saved a few bucks, ZJ's have adjustment at the front bolt holes, so they dialed in. More lift? Might have to get adj lower c arms.

With 3.5" I didn't have to change the front upper C arms. I didn't change the rears either but the tires did move a bit more toward the front of the rear fenderwells.
    Kinda looks a little funky, would prefer them back .75" or so. But then that'd be all new rear c arms.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Want a ZJ to look better and not spend a ton of $?
    Just budget boost it (2" spacers) and an adjustable trac bar for the front.
    Run 31's tires.
    Anything past that starts adding up.
    32" MTR's are $250 each. Oh yeah, I'm running Procomp 1069 wheels, forget what offset they are, normal for Wranglers IIRC.
    I have to replace the front CV, swap to reg U joint this summer. Buy 2 more new MTR's, get a better hatch and redo my headliner.
    Then I'll have a better pile o' crap, as my engine burns oil and probably needs swapped.
    Yay. I already gotta put an engine in a dead 2002 for the kids to drive.
    Been Jeepin since the mid 80's, am getting tired of it.
    Damn I wish i could just get a new one, spacer kit and maybe AT's and be done.
    Was talking to a guy who has some monster builds in his past at work last night.............we're members of the 33" and under club now.
    Toy Jeeps? Have at it!
    Daily drivers.............a little more refinement goes a long way, esp when driving 3 hrs one way to go turkey hunting. A little better MPG is nice too.
    So are 150 dollar tires.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Want a ZJ to look better and not spend a ton of $?
    Just budget boost it (2" spacers) and an adjustable trac bar for the front.
    Run 31's tires.
    Anything past that starts adding up.
    32" MTR's are $250 each. Oh yeah, I'm running Procomp 1069 wheels, forget what offset they are, normal for Wranglers IIRC.
    I have to replace the front CV, swap to reg U joint this summer. Buy 2 more new MTR's, get a better hatch and redo my headliner.
    Then I'll have a better pile o' crap, as my engine burns oil and probably needs swapped.
    Yay. I already gotta put an engine in a dead 2002 for the kids to drive.
    Been Jeepin since the mid 80's, am getting tired of it.
    Damn I wish i could just get a new one, spacer kit and maybe AT's and be done.
    Was talking to a guy who has some monster builds in his past at work last night.............we're members of the 33" and under club now.
    Toy Jeeps? Have at it!
    Daily drivers.............a little more refinement goes a long way, esp when driving 3 hrs one way to go turkey hunting. A little better MPG is nice too.
    So are 150 dollar tires.

It's not expensive to lift 2"...for my xj, I bought a used set of 2" spacer for the front and doubled up my leaf springs in the rear. Did have to buy new u-bolts, which was $30 at advance auto and some jk shocks for $20 bucks or so. You'll want an adjustable trackbar, or your front axle will be sticking out past your driver's side fender.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Stock XJ springs suck.
    On both of mine I did 3", with new rear leaf springs. I just did the offset bracket for the trackbar and welded the 2nd XJ's in from the start, did not crack that one.
    Added 2" spacers on top of the 3" spring kit later and with a 1" t case drop and adj lower C arms could boogie 80 MPH with no wobble or vibe.
    3" wasn't enough lift on my XJ, even running 31's. I stuffed 'em pretty hard, chewed fender wells.
    3" or more IMHO needs new lower C arms.
    My last XJ I said screw it and yanked all sway bars. I'm used to driving POS CJ 5's.............so I found the ride/drive to be OK. Not nearly the death trap many claim.
    Maybe it was, and my other Jeeps just completely dangerous LOL.

On road, I think lower stance and smaller tires the way to go. Bigger and taller just wears stuff out sooner. Hell my Jeeps are so ugly, and I'm older and more beat up too, there's no reason to spend any $ on trying to impress others, esp females.

Go minimal lift, smaller tires, and buy more guns and bows. Deer on the hitch haul don't care ;)

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Stock XJ springs suck.
    On both of mine I did 3", with new rear leaf springs. I just did the offset bracket for the trackbar and welded the 2nd XJ's in from the start, did not crack that one.
    Added 2" spacers on top of the 3" spring kit later and with a 1" t case drop and adj lower C arms could boogie 80 MPH with no wobble or vibe.
    3" wasn't enough lift on my XJ, even running 31's. I stuffed 'em pretty hard, chewed fender wells.
    3" or more IMHO needs new lower C arms.
    My last XJ I said screw it and yanked all sway bars. I'm used to driving POS CJ 5's.............so I found the ride/drive to be OK. Not nearly the death trap many claim.
    Maybe it was, and my other Jeeps just completely dangerous LOL.

On road, I think lower stance and smaller tires the way to go. Bigger and taller just wears stuff out sooner. Hell my Jeeps are so ugly, and I'm older and more beat up too, there's no reason to spend any $ on trying to impress others, esp females.

Go minimal lift, smaller tires, and buy more guns and bows. Deer on the hitch haul don't care ;)

agreed, xj springs do sucks...none of my springs were broken and I didn't have money to buy the lift kit I wanted, so it will work for now. Now I gotta figure out what the hell is wrong with my front axle...anybody have a good HP d30 sitting around?

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I think he is only wanting to go 2" with some 31" tires anyway. His jeep was lady driven for 205K miles by a buddy of mine's M-I-L. It leaks oil pretty good but seems to be a good runner. He isn't going to put a ton of $$$ into it because we only paid $1800 and it simply isn't worth it. It is great for a 17 yr old's first ride and he is learning a lot with tinkering on it. Thanks for all the input!!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I think he is only wanting to go 2" with some 31" tires anyway. His jeep was lady driven for 205K miles by a buddy of mine's M-I-L. It leaks oil pretty good but seems to be a good runner. He isn't going to put a ton of $$$ into it because we only paid $1800 and it simply isn't worth it. It is great for a 17 yr old's first ride and he is learning a lot with tinkering on it. Thanks for all the input!!

"He isn't going to put a ton of $$$ into it" and "His jeep" do not belong in the same sentence

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I've got a '98 Grand Cherokee (ZJ). Not sure if the front axle will fit your XJ. You would have to buy the entire vehicle, but I'm not asking that much for it. Can't PM because of insufficient number of posts.

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    agreed, xj springs do sucks...none of my springs were broken and I didn't have money to buy the lift kit I wanted, so it will work for now. Now I gotta figure out what the hell is wrong with my front axle...anybody have a good HP d30 sitting around?

Let's try again. I have a ZJ that I am looking to let go. Not sure if the axle will fit your XJ, but if it does, we should talk. Can't respond to PMs because I don't have enough posts. Call or text three one seven seven five nine one four two eight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom