• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Nope, I love my XJ. The issue is that it has 196k on it, rides like a Jeep (not a bad thing, really), heat barely works, and I wanted to make the XJ a trail rig/bad weather rig eventually anyway. Now I can park the XJ and put miles onto this car and save gas ($ for Jeep stuff). I can also go more extreme on mods when I get them.

When I get a 2009 Accord from a family member with 29k, heated, leather, power seats, sun roof, XM radio, and great gas mileage, who wouldn't do it.

XJ will be stored at my fiances (then wifes) parents house in summer in a garage for easy working on it when I need. I also won't worry about putting dents or other stuff now. As long the windows are in tact and it drives home from the trails, that will be all I care about.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Nope, I love my XJ. The issue is that it has 196k on it, rides like a Jeep (not a bad thing, really), heat barely works, and I wanted to make the XJ a trail rig/bad weather rig eventually anyway. Now I can park the XJ and put miles onto this car and save gas ($ for Jeep stuff). I can also go more extreme on mods when I get them.

When I get a 2009 Accord from a family member with 29k, heated, leather, power seats, sun roof, XM radio, and great gas mileage, who wouldn't do it.

XJ will be stored at my fiances (then wifes) parents house in summer in a garage for easy working on it when I need. I also won't worry about putting dents or other stuff now. As long the windows are in tact and it drives home from the trails, that will be all I care about.

you should disconnect the heater hoses and run some CLR through the heater core and let it sit for 5-10 mins. I did this and applied compressed air going against the flow to blow the junk out...Now I have heat again. Held up for a year so far.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana

Sounds good to me. Mine has 146K on it, everything works great still. Recently seafoamed it. Only needs new leaf springs and further planned mods. I'm currently just driving it about 4 miles a day through the work week, so mileage isn't such an issue.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Anyone have a bull bar or brush guard that will fit a 97 Jeep GC? (ZJ) My son has the 97 and I have been looking everywhere for a bull bar or brush guard for it. I'm not going to pay $500+ for one when the whole jeep was only $1800. Just checking. Thanks

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IC 9-19-4-1
    Passenger cars originally equipped with bumpers; bumper height
    Sec. 1. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered as a passenger car that was originally equipped with bumpers as standard equipment must be so equipped. The bumper height may not vary more than three (3) inches from the original manufactured bumper height for the vehicle.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

IC 9-19-4-2
    Trucks with declared gross weight of not more than 11,000 pounds
    Sec. 2. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered as a truck with a declared gross weight of not more than eleven thousand (11,000) pounds must be equipped with bumpers of substantial construction on the extreme front and the extreme rear of the vehicle. The height of the front and rear bumpers may not exceed thirty (30) inches when measured from level pavement to the bottom of the bumper.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    IC 9-19-4-1
    Passenger cars originally equipped with bumpers; bumper height
    Sec. 1. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered as a passenger car that was originally equipped with bumpers as standard equipment must be so equipped. The bumper height may not vary more than three (3) inches from the original manufactured bumper height for the vehicle.

IC 9-19-4-2
    Trucks with declared gross weight of not more than 11,000 pounds
    Sec. 2. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered as a truck with a declared gross weight of not more than eleven thousand (11,000) pounds must be equipped with bumpers of substantial construction on the extreme front and the extreme rear of the vehicle. The height of the front and rear bumpers may not exceed thirty (30) inches when measured from level pavement to the bottom of the bumper.

Darn! I guess it's time to buy that JRC DIY rear bumper kit for my xj...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bumperettes from a YJ. Opened up a hole on each to match the span of the factory fog light brackets and used the orig foglight fasteners there, but went with grade 8 bolts on the outside holes (had to drill those holes). Figured the hoop and lesser fasteners might allow a little bit lighter crush. Might go backing plates and bigger bolts on all sides. Eh, that sounds like more work........maybe if I score some Double Crooked Tree IPA.

Cheap, easy, legal..............one guy on a Jeep forum said it looked like my Jeep had t*ts. Told him that's better than a stinger that looks like a you know what.

I dunno, am I the first cheap redneck to do this ZJ mod? So easy, cheap............I can't believe all others overlooked it. Is it offroad protection? Nope.

But it does offer some impact help vs bluehairs and Buicks at the Rural King parking lot (head on).

Didn't think it looked too bad, the original ZJ is just styrofoam under the plastic...........grocery cart will take that out.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Duplicolor spray on bedliner stuff on the hoops and frame.

Nobody said crap about my not having a bumper, even my cop associates.. But outside of my local area maybe a guy with a ticket book could get crappy......and I had the bumperettes laying around (for the rear when I yank that off) so after a couple of beers said "go for it".

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have found that I absolutely hate the mechanical linkage for my four wheel drive. Everytime I adjust it, it still pops outta 4 high.

I'm going to buy the Novak shifter cable.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have found that I absolutely hate the mechanical linkage for my four wheel drive. Everytime I adjust it, it still pops outta 4 high.

I'm going to buy the Novak shifter cable.

I also heard a worn transfer case can cause the popping out of gear problem....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Jeep T case shifter linkage going to a body mount is just stoopid. That little bushing can wear out in a normal Jeep, let alone a lifted one (T case drop). They make a drop bracket to help alleviate that but I too think Novak to be the way. Ditch the body mount connection all together. If the bushing on the body mount holds the cheap POS plastic one on the transmission bracket can turn to crap.

A 249 that's got a dying VC will do the pop out, usually when a bump is hit. So that's two stupid things that need changed on a ZJ ;)

Top Bottom