• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    35 is more round. I'd link a wiki pic of a 35 but my phone won't let me.

45102d1303086575t-axle-pics-thread-axle_id_01.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Your welcome! How's the lift install coming along?

It's been fun, and a PITA.

Front Coil springs was a pain to get in. And today, we broke a bolt for the rear upper bump stop. Was trying to get the old one out, and it just snapped. Haven't been able to drill it out, so I'm going to cut the "cup" out, and take it to work and drill it out, then weld it back. So I'm running with no rear bump stops right now.

Then the stock bolts to my rear sway bar are broke, so I'm running without a rear sway bar until I can get a couple bolts from the dealership.

So once I get all that done, I'll be doing the SYE.

It drives and rides SO much better now, besides the body roll. The steering is much tighter.

You lucky devil!

ETA, Oh I see it's a TJ... not as lucky as I thought. Still a good thing though... no worries out the axle coming out of the housing unexpectedly... unless you break it just in the right spot.

Not sure what you mean?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rear sway bar is completely unnecessary. It was the first thing I removed when I did my first lift. Are you doing the cut and tap SYE?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What Kludge meant...

Dana 35s uses c clips to hold the axle shafts in. When the shaft breaks, the broken piece attached to your wheel walks out of the axle. A Dana 44 is semi float so you won't lose your wheel.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What Kludge meant...

Dana 35s uses c clips to hold the axle shafts in. When the shaft breaks, the broken piece attached to your wheel walks out of the axle. A Dana 44 is semi float so you won't lose your wheel.

like this

ORTT-Axle-Tool-300x225.gif

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    On my TJ, I ran my front sway bar on road. When it became a trailer queen, I got rid of it completely.

I've been meaning to fab or buy a new sway bar with disconnects but I have other broken things I need to replace like my front axle which kept me from redbird this weekend...grrr...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my two XJ's with about 5" of lift, neither one ran front or rear sway bars, and I drove them on the highway at reg speeds too. Yeah they're a little different but still even then they were much more well mannered than either of my old CJ5's.

Not saying folks should remove all sway bars, just saying I did :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I just tried to loosen the 6 bolts that are holding my skid plate in. I figured it would be smart to start soaking them in PB, that way when I do my SYE, I won't have any problems.

Those 6 bolts are VERY tight. I was able to loosen 3 of them, but haven't been able to take them all the way out. The other 3, I'm going to have to get a torch and an impact.

And since I have that broken bolt in my rear coil bucket for my bump stops, I just ordered this: TJ/LJ Coil Spring and Bump Stop Correction - Full Kit

It has good reviews...

Top Bottom