• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Anybody know if I can put a stronger brake booster in my 1998 cherokee? I feel the brakes are lacking...
    Not sure how a brake booster would help? If anything it will just cause you to lock up your brakes more often, which is just as bad. Check your rears for gear oil or if they're adjusted.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Good question, Caleb. I agree; the brakes are lacking especially backing down steep steep hills in reverse. I literally am standing on the brakes with the pedal on the floor in such situations and it's not a good feeling. More volume would probably be more better than more boost.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Good question, Caleb. I agree; the brakes are lacking especially backing down steep steep hills in reverse. I literally am standing on the brakes with the pedal on the floor in such situations and it's not a good feeling. More volume would probably be more better than more boost.

aside from the chrysler 8.25 disc brake swap, what would you suggest to improve braking?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    aside from the chrysler 8.25 disc brake swap, what would you suggest to improve braking?
    Rear disks would be a huge help. Larger calipers (and the matching master cylinder) would help as well, but I'm not sure what is available for the stock axles.

I'm running a hydroboost system on my CJ, and 4-wheel disc. The previous setup was stock Scout calipers in the front (rather large for a Dana 44), and Cadillac rear calipers. It would lock the 37" tires with ease. I know hydroboost systems are available for the XJ from Vanco.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Rear disks would be a huge help. Larger calipers (and the matching master cylinder) would help as well, but I'm not sure what is available for the stock axles.

I'm running a hydroboost system on my CJ, and 4-wheel disc. The previous setup was stock Scout calipers in the front (rather large for a Dana 44), and Cadillac rear calipers. It would lock the 37" tires with ease. I know hydroboost systems are available for the XJ from Vanco.

You may want to look into adding rear rotors. If you still have issues, fitting a Dodge Durango brake booster is a popular addition.

I was also wondering if I should go ahead and replace the rotors and pads as they are currently old(unknown how old)... what year dodge durango brake booster?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

No clue, that why I said "good question". :)

The XJ master cylinder looks like it came off a Chevette. Discs and a MC swap like Ryan said is probably the way to go. I couldn't imaging driving a XJ with 35"s on the stock MC.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No clue, that why I said "good question". :)

The XJ master cylinder looks like it came off a Chevette. Discs and a MC swap like Ryan said is probably the way to go. I couldn't imaging driving a XJ with 35"s on the stock MC.

looked into the durango MC swap, looks to be a very good improvement over stock and only $68 bucks new from autozone

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Got some questions about rear axles.

I've been reading about D44s and 8.8s. A lot of people don't like the 8.8 because they aren't as wide as a D44, sit lower to the ground, heavy, and they have C-clips.

D44s, I can't find any used ones. I found one on eBay, but they want $2000. A brand new one with ARB locker, chromoly shafts, 4.56 gearing runs $3000. It's a G2.

4 Wheel Parts wants $1700 to regear front and rear axles. I have a feeling that's rather high, and no idea of anyone closer that can do it.

I have rear drum brakes now, do I want to keep them, or get disc brakes?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Got some questions about rear axles.

I've been reading about D44s and 8.8s. A lot of people don't like the 8.8 because they aren't as wide as a D44, sit lower to the ground, heavy, and they have C-clips.

D44s, I can't find any used ones. I found one on eBay, but they want $2000. A brand new one with ARB locker, chromoly shafts, 4.56 gearing runs $3000. It's a G2.

4 Wheel Parts wants $1700 to regear front and rear axles. I have a feeling that's rather high, and no idea of anyone closer that can do it.

I have rear drum brakes now, do I want to keep them, or get disc brakes?

go to sun fire offroad, $500 to overhaul both axles and install lockers/new gears(you provide parts, or pay extra for parts)...imho, go disc if you can

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The width of the 8.8 (and it's not very much) can easily be compensated for with spacers. Yes you want discs if you can get them (late model Exploder SportTracs) and if 4.10 is low enough, you can save that money too... Yes, it's a C-clip axle, but you REALLY have to abuse it to worry about it. Just the size of the housing and axle tubes make the D44 look kinda small.

On the cheap, depending on your tire size, you could go with C8.25 29-spline. With 33" tires, 4.10 or 4.56 gears, you will likely have a long life. Many people run them with 35"s.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    IMG_20130823_023635_613_zpsdc8f0a1f.jpg

Finally got my rear end lifted to match the front lift, but I'm unable to wheel as my front axle is out of commission. My friend who is helping me with my front axle noticed the overhaul kit that I had bought had one bearing that was a bit too big. Come to find out, my front axle is a dana 30 from a 1996 cherokee and the pinion bearings are different sizes. Also I learned last weekend that you cannot drive on hub/wheel bearings without a spindle shaft going through it...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is it? I really thought it was a 44, but I was unsure.

It's MY axle, and I always thought it was a D35, until someone told me today it was a 44.

Top Bottom