• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yeah, that is bad advice, too much use of a impact could make your wheel fall off. Invest in a torque wrench. I believe it is 100 lbs of pressure for Jeeps but check with a tire place ot be sure. I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $12.

I have a torque wrench. Recommended is 85 to 115 lbs of pressure. I have it at about 100 right now. But I'm not sure if the new studs are seated all the way, a mechanic friend of mine who specializes in jeeps recommended using an impact wrench to make sure they were pressed in completely and then change out the lugs because they probably won't be any good after using one.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok guys, school me a bit here...

I'm going to swap out my current 4" Skyjacker kit. Will keep my Transfer Case lower kit until I have the funds for a SYE.

I have just enough to purchase the Currie 4" Antirock suspension kit with JJ adjustable control arms.

I'll be purchasing it thru 4 Wheel Parts, simply because I can pick it up, and not have to pay S&H.

The guy there, tried talking me into getting the Pro Comp Long Arm kit instead.

Reading on wrangler forum, jeep forum, pirate 4x4, the general consensus is that Pro Comp is crap, and that Currie kit is the best.

Is this true? I do not want to be down this road again, having to swap out parts. I want the best ride that I can get.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    A club member is going to give me OEM ring and pinions to replace my front ring and pinions on my d30, and another member is going to help me rebuild the front....in time for hilift weekend at redbird maybe

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a torque wrench. Recommended is 85 to 115 lbs of pressure. I have it at about 100 right now. But I'm not sure if the new studs are seated all the way, a mechanic friend of mine who specializes in jeeps recommended using an impact wrench to make sure they were pressed in completely and then change out the lugs because they probably won't be any good after using one.

Getting the wheel studs in is the hard part (maybe). Seating them doesn't take much effort.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ok guys, school me a bit here...

I'm going to swap out my current 4" Skyjacker kit. Will keep my Transfer Case lower kit until I have the funds for a SYE.

I have just enough to purchase the Currie 4" Antirock suspension kit with JJ adjustable control arms.

I'll be purchasing it thru 4 Wheel Parts, simply because I can pick it up, and not have to pay S&H.

The guy there, tried talking me into getting the Pro Comp Long Arm kit instead.

Reading on wrangler forum, jeep forum, pirate 4x4, the general consensus is that Pro Comp is crap, and that Currie kit is the best.

Is this true? I do not want to be down this road again, having to swap out parts. I want the best ride that I can get.
    Currie makes (from my experience) very good stuff. However, I can't imagine that a 4" short-arm lift is ever going to ride all that good. There are several decent 4" short-arm kits out there, though (Rubicon Express, Currie, etc...). The Anti-Rock anti-sway bar is pretty nice, too. With softer springs, you will really appreciate it.

Or, you could swap in a shorter lift, and a small (1") body lift if needed. I am running an OME 2.5" lift and no body lift, and fit 32" tires easily. A friend has the same, but with a 1" body lift, and runs 35" tires with some rubbing at full compression. The same combo should clear your 33"s easily, and the OME springs ride about as good as you can get in a Jeep. Add in an adjustable track bar and adjustable upper control arms, and you should be able t o dial in a pretty decent alignment.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks Ryan.

I think I'll just end up going with the Currie Kit. I've been reading a lot of good thinks about their Johnny Joints, and since the adjustable control arms come with the kit, I'll be good to go for a SYE.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok I'm getting close to ordering the Currie JJ Antirock kit, and the Currie steering kit.

Would it be worth replacing my rear track bar with the Currie Adjustable rear track bar? The kit comes with a relocating bracket..

Also, ball joints. How do you check to see if they're bad?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Use a pry bar to check for up and down moment as well as well as side to side...if boot is torn, its done. If you see grease, its probably done.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ok I'm getting close to ordering the Currie JJ Antirock kit, and the Currie steering kit.

Would it be worth replacing my rear track bar with the Currie Adjustable rear track bar? The kit comes with a relocating bracket..

Also, ball joints. How do you check to see if they're bad?

I just used the bracket in the rear with my 2.5" lift. Seems to work fine. An adjustable would be nice, but my rear axle sits pretty darn square with the bracket. Check the bolts every few hundred miles for a while. They have a habit of working loose.

As for ball joints, Caleb nails it. Pry bar and look for movement. Helps to have the tire off the ground (less weight to pry against), or even off the vehicle. Pretty much any movement other than rotation of the knuckle is bad.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just placed an order for the Currie 4" suspension lift with Antirock and rear track bar. I went with the JJ aluminum double arms.
    Got the Currie Currectlync, extended brake lines, new Rancho steering stabilizer, and a AA SYE with a Tom Wood driveshaft.

I can't wait to get started on this....

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Do you guys know of any reputable shops that will regear? Preferably in the Central Indy area?

Guys in my club recommends sun fire...They quoted me $375 to overhaul and reset gears in one axle, 450-500 for both...so adding regears and lockers wasn't much of an additional cost if any at all.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SunFire-Off-Road/129980086425

...or find somebody in your club that you trust to reset the gears for you. I'm having a guy in my club helping me overhaul my dana 30 with new bearings and seals...

Top Bottom