• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Meh. You put things in social media, you should expect social commentary.

I wouldn't shoot a giraffe, but I'm also not funding a significant chunk of the economy of sub-Saharan Africa like big game hunters are. A good friend of mine went on a hunt in Africa and, among other things, killed a zebra. To me that's like shooting a jauntily painted horse. It made a nice rug, though. I see both sides.

I think most folks have a scale. I suspect most here would react differently to canned hunting for dogs or horses then they would to turkeys or squirrels. Personally, the more intelligent an animal is the more I'd be against trophy hunting. Wanna bass fish? Cool. Dolphin fishing? Less cool.

It doesn't take long to get over the idea that zebras are just like horses if you try hunting one. The ones I saw in South Africa were easily among the most switched on animals I've ever encountered and that includes several species that are typically shot upon sight as varmints or freezer fillers. Their only real weakness is curiosity, at the first sign of potential danger they will retreat to the nearest high point to observe from a safe distance but on occasion they will drift in closer to watch you stalk other animals. Once they get the idea that they are being hunted though, they disappear in a hurry.

As for dolphin, anyone who spends much time trying to fish from piers or wade fishing in shallow bays in Florida gets over their affection for them real fast.

Ya, but they could have used the money spent on the safari to buy those people meat from the store instead...then no animals would have had to die

In much of Africa, South Africa especially, a lot of the meat one could buy in the store is from game animals. They raise a lot of sheep, cows and even a few pigs most but ranchers primarily eat game and any grocery store or a restaurant will usually have game meat for sale.

I have no issue with the legality of the practice. If people want to do it, I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't be able to do it. The justification for doing it, comes from the SA government, not the hunters themselves, who IMO don't really care about the reasonings, as long as it's legal, and they can shoot something very few other people have a chance to.

The SA government has little to do with most of the hunting, the exception being certain sensitive species. The animals are the property of and managed by the landowners. When the landowner has more wild animals than they want or can tolerate(competitions with their livestock) they either sell them to hunters(local or foreign) or they setup a cull and sell the meat to local butchers, groceries, or restaurants. Most of the 29 species of huntable animals in South Africa were nearly extirpated from the late 1800s through the mid 1900s due to competition with livestock and the ever present potential to spread disease to livestock. Around the late 1960s some ranchers realized they could make a better living by raising wildlife and selling hunts. By the 1990s the idea had spread and wildlife populations were flourishing.... thanks to the visionary ranchers and the hunters dollars.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I wouldn't know, so you informed me... but nevertheless, the profit they're taking in does come from conservation minded people that don't know any better. And in all honesty, it would not surprise me (no should it, you) if these hunting safaris, were lining plenty of pockets as well.
    No it does not surprise me that the safaris line pockets.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Did you ever get to try it? Curiously it is, as I’ve had about every game in America but never anything from the African continent.

I didn't get to try giraffe but have tried springbok, kudu, red hartebeest, warthog, and blesbok. I love deer meat but in comparison to the springbok and red hartebeest, deer is garbage. Kudu isn't far behind springbok and RH. The warthog pretty much tasted like an uncut domestic boar, though not nearly as strong. The blesbok tasted like deer but a bit more gamey.

I wouldn't know, so you informed me... but nevertheless, the profit they're taking in does come from conservation minded people that don't know any better. And in all honesty, it would not surprise me (no should it, you) if these hunting safaris, were lining plenty of pockets as well.

So it is perfectly fine if a self proclaimed preservation(not conservation, huge difference) group scams preservation minded people out of money without using much or any of the funding for the claimed purpose but it is wrong for the landowner to benefit from his stewardship of wildlife?

You are right though in that hunting safaris line plenty of pockets, they line the pocket of the landowner for increasing and managing the wildlife, they allow the professional hunters to make a living, they provide the black staff, the trackers, skinner, cook and maid with all the meat they can handle, all the Cokes they can drink and an income to live on. Safari hunting lines all those pockets in addition to actually conserving the wildlife, Greanpeace, PETA, HSUS, and others scam the gullible to line the pockets of their directors and don't conserve anything.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Those hunters do more to protect endangered animals in Africa than those who just ***** about it on social media.
    The trophy hunters pay for the salaries of the park rangers who protect endangered animals from poachers.

rhino1.jpg

It's a bit ironic that you have to kill animals (legally and paying the local government to do so) to protect animals but it's how it works.

It's a bit like how you have to keep buying books and use paper in order to save trees.Since if there's no need to produce paper there would be no need to keep growing trees and managing forests.

Poachers are the bad guys here, they kill animals and park rangers ... not the hunter who legally kills one animal.

Of course the poachers are never blamed in social media.

There are a few groups of military veterans from all around the world that provides training to park rangers so they can fight the poachers.

The poachers are willing to kill park rangers just to steal some elephant tusks.

s2HTZQH.jpg

Those vets do more to protect endagered animals than all the folks who just ***** about it on the internet without doing anything concrete about it.

They probably don't even brag about it on the internet.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We're on opposite sides of the fence and as they say "Good fences make good neighbors"!:cheers:

To be clear though I'd rather see a dead human laying alongside the interstate than a dead animal. The human should know better.

Do me favor and . . .well. . Try favoring your own species. If you think there are too many of us, you can be the first to leave. It's ok with me.

Freedom is a good thing. Commerce in livestock is a good thing. Seeing new places as a tourist is a good thing. I hope she enjoyed herself.

A critter's place is right next to the taters and gravy.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I've heard that the government is Africa is so very corrupt that I wonder what exactly the percentage of what is getting paid to hunt is getting where it is supposed to. I would imagine a very small percentage.
    I have no interest in hunting a giraffe, but if someone wants to do it legally then that's up to them. Just because I wouldn't hunt a giraffe, that doesn't mean that no one should do it, nor that it should be illegal. We can choose to not do things that others have the option to do legally.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've heard that the government is Africa is so very corrupt that I wonder what exactly the percentage of what is getting paid to hunt is getting where it is supposed to. I would imagine a very small percentage.
    I have no interest in hunting a giraffe, but if someone wants to do it legally then that's up to them. Just because I wouldn't hunt a giraffe, that doesn't mean that no one should do it, nor that it should be illegal. We can choose to not do things that others have the option to do legally.

It's probably hard to know.
    It's why I think it's great to support organizations that provide training directly to the park rangers.
    If you're not a veteran who can directly travel there to provide training you can also donate gear (backpacks, military fatigues etc).
    I think some gun manufacturers even donated firearms to help the rangers fight the poachers.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Why are people against providing food others who have no food even if it's with their own money and not forced upon by any government?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Africa doesn’t have a government, the individual countries do, and most are corrupt like ours.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What’s the symbol look like for that, fire and the wheel? Or just a differently colored rainbow? Do they get their own month too?

Indie_c88675_2835884.jpg

926c636c-866b-415e-e5f6-8fc6f5bf64bd.png

who-would-win-255165.png

mono-sapiens-go-honge-europ-for-neanderthals-only-13745105.png

BTW- in having a little fun with the whole neanderthal thing, I found that the references to neanderthal by the guy who went all preachy and ranty about this wasn't just him, but there is this whole weird racist thing about people of European descent being subhuman because of the neanderthal DNA. Well, to those who want to share the hate, I guess, on that basis I say, keep it coming...I find it somewhere between amusing and hilarious!

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Do me favor and . . .well. . Try favoring your own species. If you think there are too many of us, you can be the first to leave. It's ok with me.

Freedom is a good thing. Commerce in livestock is a good thing. Seeing new places as a tourist is a good thing. I hope she enjoyed herself.

A critter's place is right next to the taters and gravy.

Sweet! Someone else that values my opinion. To be clear (apparently needed) my point is that if some idiot walks out into traffic well he should have known better.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Most governments in African countries range from extremely corrupt on the low end to having the ability to teach the Clintons new things about being corrupt on the other end. In countries where the wildlife is owned by the country a large amount is skimmed off the top by various government officials. However, even in those countries it is in the landowners/outfitters best interest to maintain and improve the wildlife in his area in order to attract hunters so they frequently invest a significant amount of their profits into anti-poaching and habitat improvement. In the country of South Africa where the landowners own the wildlife, the money never goes through the government in the first place (with the exception of licensing fees for professional hunters and outfitters) and the incentive to maintain and improve remains the same.

Where the real corruption comes to play in African wildlife is when organized gangs of poachers, funded and supported primarily by the Chinese, bribe and extort officials to look the other way while they indiscriminately poach elephants, rhinos and lions and smuggle the ivory, horns and assorted lion parts into the Asian markets. The only thing even attempting to curtail this poaching in many countries is the anti-poaching crews funded by hunters' dollars. These efforts are continually hampered by corrupt officials on the take.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom