• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    When I was younger I had to ride the shot bus with the tinted windows AND seat belts.... my seat had extra padding around it and I had to wear a helmet........:xmad::noway:

Yes, that Helmet made it hard to lick the windows.....They always tasted like snoz berries.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Tonight I was cleaning my kitchen and had put my Glock 17 in its holster on my dining room table. I have a sliding glass door next to the dining room and kitchen that opens to my patio. I didn't have the door locked because I just got done grilling.

While I'm cleaning, I hear my sliding glass door open which is odd to me because I'm the only one that lives here. In walks a kid probably 4 or 5, he immediately starts touching things and picking things up. I could tell pretty quick he was disabled so I smiled at him and asked him where he lived? He didn't respond and kept touching things. I grabbed my gun from the table and attached it back onto my belt because I didn't want to risk him grabbing at it.

All of a sudden, a woman walks into my apartment and sees her son and grabs him and apologizes. I smiled and told her it was no problem and that he had done no harm. She saw my gun on my side and immediately got this very angry look on her face and asked me if I thought that was really necessary? It took me a moment to figure out what she was mad about but then I looked down and I told her that I always keep it on me because you never know what might happen. She pushed her son out the door and said, "I don't think you should have guns around children." I kinda looked at her for a minute and then told her I don't have any kids. She just kept looking at me then walked out and slammed the door.

Anyway, no harm done to anyone, but I feel like I'm now obligated to lock my doors every time I turn my back and always keep an eye out for her son coming in to MY apartment and possibly getting himself hurt.
    My hat's off to you for handling this incident the way you did! You recognized the kid had problems, and made the place safe, while engaging him in conversation instead of yelling at him. My guess is that you made a friend of the boy, and an enemy of his mother....oh well.:rolleyes:

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    as a father of one of these so called retards..or toothpick counting forrest gump types..as some ppl like to call em...i salute you for your patience and understanding with the young boy..these kids have it tuff enough with the name calling and stupid comments that so called normal ppl make...and then to have a mother who isn't to bright her self...you done well...no good deed goes un-noticed....the mother is a jerk....we all understand theres alot of those ...as a parent of a handicapped young man....i thank you..

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Welcome to apartment life.
    no Bunnies and Unicorns!...

I live in an apartment in a nasty part of town and see all kinds of weird activity.

There's a toddler that lives around the corner that is allowed to wonder all around the block un-supervised. He can hardly say anything coherent and understandable.

And to top it all off, he was caught taking a dump on the sidewalk of our downstairs neighbors back yard.

when confronted, he pulled up his drawers/diaper/whatever, said "i sorree" and sped off on his trike....

I still crack up over this, lmao...

Thank God I should be moving out by Summers end...

Last edited by a moderator:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I would have told her it's irresponsible to allow her child near my guns and don't let it happen again.

Well +1 to you for not making the really crappy comment that I would have probably made to her. Talk about balls. Telling you that you shouldn't have a gun around children when it was her poor parenting that allowed the child into your place to begin with...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    no sh!t...

I live in an apartment in a nasty part of town and see all kinds of weird activity.

There's a toddler that lives around the corner that is allowed to wonder all around the block un-supervised. He can hardly say anything coherent and understandable.

And to top it all off, he was caught taking a dump on the sidewalk of our downstairs neighbors back yard.

when confronted, he pulled up his drawers/diaper/whatever, said "i sorree" and sped off on his trike....

I still crack up over this, lmao...

Thank God I should be moving out by Summers end...

- thats ok, dont feel bad. i know a world leader who was the same way, GWB were his initials. (its a joke, so all you hardcore GW fans that wanna have sex with him, dont give me crap over it, ok!)

- he also did this on someones doorstep, they called the house the kremlin and the tyrant who lived there was names putin. since in the 8 years of the clinton administration russia had gotten away with doing it to America, he just thought it was a customary hello. but this big kid sped off in his own jet named Air Force One. :):

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    as a father of one of these so called retards..or toothpick counting forrest gump types..as some ppl like to call em...i salute you for your patience and understanding with the young boy..these kids have it tuff enough with the name calling and stupid comments that so called normal ppl make...and then to have a mother who isn't to bright her self...you done well...no good deed goes un-noticed....the mother is a jerk....we all understand theres alot of those ...as a parent of a handicapped young man....i thank you..

+1 here. Couldn't say it better myself.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Wait her kid walks into your house and then she blaims you for having guns around children :laugh: ... ooh I get it makes perfect sense :lmfao::lmfao:

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    Without purple, some of the slower members on INGO might have thought that you really meant that you should not have guns in your home. We have ramps for wheelchairs, and those really big stalls in bathrooms, so why not purple text to help the people who are slower than the rest of us. We have to be fair with everyone.

garagegunmaker, could you write slower? I'm having a hard time keeping up.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Tonight I was cleaning my kitchen and had put my Glock 17 in its holster on my dining room table. I have a sliding glass door next to the dining room and kitchen that opens to my patio. I didn't have the door locked because I just got done grilling.

While I'm cleaning, I hear my sliding glass door open which is odd to me because I'm the only one that lives here. In walks a kid probably 4 or 5, he immediately starts touching things and picking things up. I could tell pretty quick he was disabled so I smiled at him and asked him where he lived? He didn't respond and kept touching things. I grabbed my gun from the table and attached it back onto my belt because I didn't want to risk him grabbing at it.

All of a sudden, a woman walks into my apartment and sees her son and grabs him and apologizes. I smiled and told her it was no problem and that he had done no harm. She saw my gun on my side and immediately got this very angry look on her face and asked me if I thought that was really necessary? It took me a moment to figure out what she was mad about but then I looked down and I told her that I always keep it on me because you never know what might happen. She pushed her son out the door and said, "I don't think you should have guns around children." I kinda looked at her for a minute and then told her I don't have any kids. She just kept looking at me then walked out and slammed the door.

Anyway, no harm done to anyone, but I feel like I'm now obligated to lock my doors every time I turn my back and always keep an eye out for her son coming in to MY apartment and possibly getting himself hurt.

And we wonder how obama (spit) got elected

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OK, calm down.

First of all you didn't lock your doors. Don't get too upset that someone just walked in. Your apartment should be secure at all times. Especially now that you know you may have a special needs kid in the neighborhood.

I'm sure the woman was worried and concerned and reacted within that emotional context. Cut her some slack. Most certainly, if she seems like a regular lady, do NOT call CPS. CPS has way too much power to make someone's life miserable. Depending on the kid, it's almost impossible to keep track of a special needs kid 100%, 24x7, forever without ever, momentarily, saying, "Hey, where's Jimmy!?"

It happens.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    OK, calm down.

First of all you didn't lock your doors. Don't get too upset that someone just walked in. Your apartment should be secure at all times. Especially now that you know you may have a special needs kid in the neighborhood.

I'm sure the woman was worried and concerned and reacted within that emotional context. Cut her some slack. Most certainly, if she seems like a regular lady, do NOT call CPS. CPS has way too much power to make someone's life miserable. Depending on the kid, it's almost impossible to keep track of a special needs kid 100%, 24x7, forever without ever, momentarily, saying, "Hey, where's Jimmy!?"

It happens.

This has nothing to do with it being the OPs fault :nono: If he wants to have his door unlocked because he just got done grilling, he most certainly can do that.

I dont understand why you are telling him not to get upset that someone just walked in. Does that happen a lot at your house? Is that ok at your house?

The woman has her right to be concerned, but she is in HIS house. Who is to truly know that the kid is retarded and isn't a diversion for someone breaking in the front of the house?

He doesnt have kids, why would he be concerned that a gun is around them if there SHOULD be NO kids in his house.

Parents should watch their kids, its understandable that from time to time they can get out of hand, but that is NOT the OPs fault. Put a fence up in your yard, lock the doors, put up baby gates, something, letting your child wonder into a strangers house us unacceptable.

It does happen, but its her fault not his.

Does my heart go out to those who take the time to love their "special" kids, absolutely. Doesn't mean they can't watch their kids without having them go into a strangers house.

The OP handled the situation extremely well and was only concerned for the child's safety, that is to be applauded.

moozak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    The OP handled the situation extremely well and was only concerned for the child's safety, that is to be applauded.

...i agree!... in fact, i'm not sure that i wouldn't have yelled at the woman at that point... so the OP did handle it extremely well.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    OK, calm down.

It happens.

i respectfuly disagree that kids will just wonder off and thats normal. if parents cant keep track of the little rugrats then either put them on a tether, teach them not to run away, or dont have kids.

or better yet, how about putting deadbolts on your doors up high where a kid cant get to it???? and locking the windows. maybe even getting a house arrest bracelet type deal that goes off if they break the perimeter of your yard. ESPECIALY if your kids mentally challenged and prone to escaping the compound :n00b:

I bet this kid is normal and not retarded at all. HIS MOM IS THE RETARDED ONE and hes just imitating what hes seen his whole life!!! a bunch of "deeee da deeee" & ear biting courtesy of mom.
    call CPS (child protective services) quick, to come get her before she drowns herself washing dishes.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I agree that the Mother is a nut job. HER child walked into HIS house. Not HIS problem. I think the OP handled this situation great. I'm not sure how I would have handled the Mother but I can almost bet that I would have told her exactly what I think.
    As for calling CPS....I'm pretty sure I would. That's just me though.

And folks...Lets be PC here. It's Mentally Challenged NOT Retarded. Not everyone sees it that way, but it's a form of RESPECT.

call CPS (child protective services) quick, to come get her before she drowns herself washing dishes.
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I have been around special needs children all my life with my stepmother being a special needs teacher. I don't blame the child at all and I really don't blame the mother. There are 5 or 6 kids that play in the back area of the complex and her not allowing him to go play with them could seriously mess him up later on.

That being said, I only became upset when she became outraged that I would keep a loaded gun around kids. I think it was a quick reaction to her being upset and possibly stressed and yes, I do think that it was very inappropriate of her to question me on it. Like someone said, I live in an apartment. If I drew my weapon and got to cover with every funny noise and strange incident that happened here, I would never be able to sit down.

Anyway, seems like no harm done. I don't think I'll be getting invited to any BBQ's in the future but oh well.

Top Bottom