• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    You handled the situation with the kid very well. Good job having the awareness to take the gun out of the equation. You were a lot nicer to the mom than I would have been. If she had come in and apologized and taken him home I would probably let it go. When she came in my house and went off on me, I would have told her to ingest feces and expire. I would have also informed her that, by allowing him the run around unsupervised, she was more of a threat to him than a gun on my person IN MY OWN HOME would ever be. I might have even mentioned that if I ever saw him outside her home unattended again I would call CPS and have a little chat with them about her allowing him to go into other apartments and play with loaded firearms. I probably would never actually make that call, but she would believe that I would.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would treat the situation as what it was, a learning experience. I'm not being critical, but hopefully informative.:)

It is your responsibility to keep your weapon secured. As you discovered the hard way, laying open inside your sanctuary may not be secured. On your person, locked away or even nearby out of sight is.

Nosey kids and crazy moms happen, along with a lot of other things you may not have considered.

I think you handled the mom and child fine.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    And folks...Lets be PC here. It's Mentally Challenged NOT Retarded. Not everyone sees it that way, but it's a form of RESPECT.

Forget PC. Retarded is a medically acceptable term. No matter what term you choose, it'll get picked up by some people and used as a derogatory statement. Get over trying to please everybody, it ain't gonna happen.

IANA-MD, but my wife is. :patriot:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Forget PC. Retarded is a medically acceptable term. No matter what term you choose, it'll get picked up by some people and used as a derogatory statement. Get over trying to please everybody, it ain't gonna happen.

IANA-MD, but my wife is. :patriot:

You obviously haven't been here long enough to realize the last thing I'm worried about is, pleasing anyone (you included). :rolleyes:

Have a nice day!

Oh and BTW....I bet YOU would be offended if someone called your "Mentally Retarded" child just plain "Retard". JMO

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    OP- Good job. You handled the situation well. The panicked woman was WAY over the top but was probably inconsolable due to fear.

RM and BS40 - Good attempt. I appreciate the effort.

I had another - much longer post - typed out. I sincerely was preparing to post it when I had to drop the laptop, get out of bed and go console my autistic (aspergers) 6 year old son who was having a nightmare.

Coming back, I'm just gonna take the high road and leave the rest alone. To everything, there is a season.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Her kid barges into your home, SHE barges into your home, and she had the gall to try to chew YOU out?

Should have charged her $20 for the babysitting.

:laugh: :+1:
    Good job on keeping your cool though and glad nothing bad happened. I always keep all doors locked though, you just never know?

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    Two thoughts ... of possible responses to her initial question.

(1) Maam, the authorities have been called and will be here shortly to investigate this abandoned child that wondered into my home.

(2) Is she distracting me and her dirtbag companion is doing something at one of my windows or doors while my attention is focused on them?

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I feel your pain, I once lived in a townhouse with a room mate. Next door a family of 11 moved in (2 bedroom town house). I was with a girlfriend at the time and ran by my apt. to pick up something and use the toilet, she stayed in the car. I was taking a pee when I heard the front door open and shortly thereafter the bathroom door open. At first I didn't think much of it (thought it was my GF), but I look down and see a 2-3y/o girl in my bathroom while I am standing there holding my junk!! I quickly zipped up and saw by the way the little girl was gesturing that she needed to use the bathroom. I walked her back over to the apt. she came from, but it did little good since they did not understand much English...always kept the doors locked after that. :n00b:

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My cousin is autistic and he is AWSOME. Not only does he know not to touch guns, but when in public and he sees"trouble makers" he yells the bad boy theme song. He is 5. And pretty much a genius in my eyes. And I'm sorry I'm not the most PC person but I do get offended when people call him a "retard". He is not a "retard" he is autistic. I know its a mental retardation, but when people call him that he cries. Then I have to open a can of whole sale whoop a$$ on who ever makes him cry.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    My cousin is autistic and he is AWSOME. Not only does he know not to touch guns, but when in public and he sees"trouble makers" he yells the bad boy theme song. He is 5. And pretty much a genius in my eyes. And I'm sorry I'm not the most PC person but I do get offended when people call him a "retard". He is not a "retard" he is autistic. I know its a mental retardation, but when people call him that he cries. Then I have to open a can of whole sale whoop a$$ on who ever makes him cry.
    most kids who are autistic are awsome...they are not mentally retarted,,,quite the opposite...their IQ are well over the average...almost all scientist have some sort of autism...einstien had aspergers...even thomas jefferson they belleive to of had aspergers...the list is very interesting...which is why when i hear so called normal ppl call autistic kids retards...well..just shows how stupid we normal ppl are...:ingo:

Top Bottom