• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...If I am at a bus stop with my grandkids and some person is standing there packing a gun on his hip openly, he will be confronted by this CC'er. He better not try to tell me about his "rights".

What if they simply ignore you, or tell you to pound sand and mind your own business? Have you considered how far you're willing to escalate such a confrontation if you don't get the response you desire?

...Display some common sense please. Just cover it up.

You are welcome to try to convince me, but nothing you've brought up so far is swaying me to change my regular carry method.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Please tell me of the ".9mm handgun".

And the idiot probably got mixed up where you cannot be asked to identify yourself unless suspected of basically committing a crime, do not have to inform police of gun when stopped, and the real one he forgot about... and you guys already stated... that the gun owner has to prove he has a LTCH (present it, recite the number, let them identify him, etc.)
    I too would like to know about this ".9mm handgun".

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Just to make sure I understand: We want to extend the "gun free zone" to the bus stop? Cuz our bus stop is the front yard. And didn't this silliness just happen? Kids playing with an airsoft pistol in their front yard suspended because it was the bus stop?
    By virtue of being in public, I am carrying in the presence of children frequently. The yellow bus does not sanctify that ground.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What if they simply ignore you, or tell you to pound sand and mind your own business? Have you considered how far you're willing to escalate such a confrontation if you don't get the response you desire?

You are welcome to try to convince me, but nothing you've brought up so far is swaying me to change my regular carry method.

Yes. I have a unique perspective on this type of situation. I won't go into any more detail. I know exactly what I would do.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Just to make sure I understand: We want to extend the "gun free zone" to the bus stop? Cuz our bus stop is the front yard. And didn't this silliness just happen? Kids playing with an airsoft pistol in their front yard suspended because it was the bus stop?
    By virtue of being in public, I am carrying in the presence of children frequently. The yellow bus does not sanctify that ground.

So tell me, I pick up your precious children at your house where you are OC'ing. You and I are cool because we know each other. You go back into your house after we wave at each other.

Two stops later, there is some guy OC'ing at the bus stop who I don't know. What would you like me to do to protect YOUR children on my bus?

Think about it please.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I drive a school bus part time. If I approach a pick-up point or drop-off point and I see some person packing a gun on his hip openly, I will be driving on and getting on the radio. This is serious stuff. It wouldn't be the first time a domestic dispute happened at a bus stop.

If I am at a bus stop with my grandkids and some person is standing there packing a gun on his hip openly, he will be confronted by this CC'er. He better not try to tell me about his "rights".

Who thinks it is smart to stand near a bus stop openly showing a handgun? Put yourself in the drivers seat of the bus before you start spouting about how its legal, blah, blah.

Display some common sense please. Just cover it up.
    I couldn't disagree with you more!
    except for cc'ng

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    This is Indiana. I tell My Lady to assume that everyone is carrying.

If you are not law enforcement and the OC individual is not threatening you with such an intent and force to cause you to fear for your life, then I would think that the extent of your action would be to endure the pangs of your spidey sense and to make a MWAG call at most.

If armed citizen A initiates a confrontation with armed citizen B for a legal activity, I would think that armed citizen A is forfeiting any protection under the law. We used to be taught to avoid people that we are unsure of and to keep an eye on people that we cannot avoid.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Since we're dealing with hypotheticals here, I expect that you are well equipped and trained to handle that situation as well.

The problem with your perspective is that it turns everyone but you that carries a sidearm into a badguy. I've never wondered if the guy with the glock on his hip was going to mug me. Never crossed my mind that I was in more danger. However, the squirrely looking dude in the corner with his hand in his pocket or tucked behind him has my attention. I think you're way focused on the wrong thing.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yes. I have a unique perspective on this type of situation. I won't go into any more detail. I know exactly what I would do.

I am very curious what you would do to someone who is minding their own business breaking no laws, besides the obvious of sticking your nose in someones business because you know better than everyone else.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is not a hypothetical. It happened in the newspaper story. What the bus driver should do is policy in many school districts. It is actually logical policy to ensure the safety of the kids on the bus.

You guys are not thinking this all the way through to the logical conclusion. You guys are assuming that you are each individually "good guys" and everybody knows this. What should the person who doesn't see that you are "good guys" do?

Maybe the regular driver has sat at your kitchen table and is cool with you. He gets sick or his mother dies or he is still drunk from the night before and he calls for a sub to run his route? What is the sub to do when he sees somebody visibly armed at the bus stop?

This whole thread is about school bus stops with somebody's innocent kids at stake. Keep that in mind.

If I have YOUR kids on my bus and as I approach a bus stop I see someone is standing there with a gun on the hip.

What do you think I should do? What would be your response?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am very curious what you would do to someone who is minding their own business breaking no laws, besides the obvious of sticking your nose in someones business because you know better than everyone else.

School bus stop. This whole thread is about a school bus stop. Visit a school bus stop some morning with kids and parents coming in from all around the area.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I still don't get what you are saying. What's the diffrence if a person CC, OC or sets in there car? Does it make you feel safer there just cause you can't see it just before it happens? I feel me OC will stop a Domestic Disputes from happening in the first place.

I get his point and see merit in it. That you do not is your mind set. Some times common sense should be used. Just because you can does not mean you should.
    Situations vary. JMHO.

I CC every day when picking up the grand daughter and so does my son. No panicked moms or freaked out kids.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It is not a hypothetical. It happened in the newspaper story. What the bus driver should do is policy in many school districts. It is actually logical policy to ensure the safety of the kids on the bus.

You guys are not thinking this all the way through to the logical conclusion. You guys are assuming that you are each individually "good guys" and everybody knows this. What should the person who doesn't see that you are "good guys" do?

Maybe the regular driver has sat at your kitchen table and is cool with you. He gets sick or his mother dies or he is still drunk from the night before and he calls for a sub to run his route? What is the sub to do when he sees somebody visibly armed at the bus stop?

This whole thread is about school bus stops with somebody's innocent kids at stake. Keep that in mind.

If I have YOUR kids on my bus and as I approach a bus stop I see someone is standing there with a gun on the hip.

What do you think I should do? What would be your response?
    well I'd make sure my kids weren't on YOUR bus. Not everyone with a gun is bad. Your attitude is one of paranoia.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I know bus drivers who CC every day. They are quite prepared to protect the children on their bus. They will not be victims and will not allow their kids to be victims. They don't wait for "permission" from their school district. I know of one who was told privately by the director of transportation that if he used his CC gun to protect the kids on the bus that he better damn well be justified. He would be fired but he would not face criminal charges. And he would get lots of loving hugs from the staff when he walked away.

That is the rumor that I have heard. I was not there. It may or may not be true.

Warriers are everywhere. They just don't always make themselves obvious to everybody.

I think I am done with this thread.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    well I'd make sure my kids weren't on YOUR bus. Not everyone with a gun is bad. Your attitude is one of paranoia.

You sucked me back in. Tell me how you determine that as you are driving your school bus up to a school bus stop.

If my paranoia allows YOUR child to have one more dinner with you, would you be OK with that?

Or should I just let you pick up your kid in the morgue because I let bad stuff to happen? Because i was oblivious to the world around us?

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You sucked me back in. Tell me how you determine that as you are driving your school bus up to a school bus stop.

If my paranoia allows YOUR child to have one more dinner with you, would you be OK with that?
    There's no guarantees in life. I don't live my life through hypotheticals. I don't allow precogs to control my fate or that of my family. And I don't give paranoid people credit for my child coming home safe at night. Drive the bus jack. If you wanna be a cop and fight pre-crimes then go do that.
    if some loon wants to get on your bus then your not gonna have a clue because your gonna probably have afew extra holes and not have time to do ****.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So wait, you can CC near our kids, and break the law, but we can't FOLLOW THE LAW and OC.

And someone OCing near a bus stop is a threat.
    People are killed with fist, so any ADULT NEAR A BUS STOP is a threat.

People are killed by automobiles, including school buses. So any automobile near the bus stop is a threat.

Kids have killed kids. So any kids other than mine at a bus stop are a threat.

WHERE DOES IT STOP?

Because YOU have seen stuff?
    GREAT
    With over 30k people on INGO, I'm sure NO OTHER PEOPLE have seen stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My paranoia (situational awareness) has kept me alive as a soldier, bomb disposal tech, police officer and a few other titles, to reach my age of 62.

If your child is ever in my charge, they will be as well protected as they can be. I can assure you of that. I also understand nothing is perfect.

I am not sure why the vitriol. Calm down.

i just ask that you think the scenario through from all sides as presented by the OP.

I really would like your opinion on what YOU would do if you were driving a school bus and observed an individual armed that was standing off from the group at the bus stop. Would you make a normal stop or just drive on?

I maintain that I would drive on and err on the side of caution.

Top Bottom