• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Clay and Duff, looking for your opinions before we repin pwoller's AK.

The bolt turns all the way on pwoller's Massi no-go gauge (Aus) but it stops just short of turning all the way on my CIP no-go gauge. It is really close. I've never had a bolt this close. I have a feeling if we do need to push in more, we'll have to drill the barrel hole for .302.

BTW, welcome to my lair pwoller.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    they will some what lock up on a no go gauge its about 30% to no more than 50% lock up on a no go.... now on a field gauge it shouldnt engage the locking lugs at all.... to me it sounds like it needs to be a hair tighter ... would it work fine yes but why not play on the safe side as long as the it still locks up freely by hand on a go gauge ..... it safer to go a little on the loose side than too tight (thats where the problems starts) but if its almost closing on a no go completely its safe to go a little tighter

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    That was my thought too. It would work but it would be better to push it back a little further. I need to drill the front/back sigh blocks and gas block for that AK74 with the formerly stuck pin so it will be a good time to do it. I also have a Maadi to do.

pwoller, get your 19/64 bit ready. Looks like we may need to repin your AK with a .302. Good thing I now have the .300 reamer for it or you'd be going to Centerville for one :)

duff, you use .302 even on virgin barrels? My philosophy (which could be wrong) is 7mm for virgin barrels, .302 if I screw up (like I did with the AK74) and .302 for a used barrel, 8mm if I screw up. I do have a couple of 8mm pins but no reamer for them. Hopefully I will never get to that point.

they will some what lock up on a no go gauge its about 30% to no more than 50% lock up on a no go.... now on a field gauge it shouldnt engage the locking lugs at all.... to me it sounds like it needs to be a hair tighter ... would it work fine yes but why not play on the safe side as long as the it still locks up freely by hand on a go gauge ..... it safer to go a little on the loose side than too tight (thats where the problems starts) but if its almost closing on a no go completely its safe to go a little tighter

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    yes i do it on even on my virgin barrels i know its not correct but i dont have a set of metric bits yet cobalt metric's are much more pricey and i have drill blanks in .302 along with a dozen or so ak builder .302 barrel pins so i stick with that

and i dont have my reamer back yet i loaned it out but if anyone needs it when it makes it way back thats fine with me

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Hey Duffman, since it came up, your reamer is on the way! :) Huge thanks! Post some pics! I'll get some up soon as well, for some reason I just havent taken any...

Favorite thread ever!

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That was my thought too. It would work but it would be better to push it back a little further. I need to drill the front/back sigh blocks and gas block for that AK74 with the formerly stuck pin so it will be a good time to do it. I also have a Maadi to do.

pwoller, get your 19/64 bit ready. Looks like we may need to repin your AK with a .302. Good thing I now have the .300 reamer for it or you'd be going to Centerville for one :)

duff, you use .302 even on virgin barrels? My philosophy (which could be wrong) is 7mm for virgin barrels, .302 if I screw up (like I did with the AK74) and .302 for a used barrel, 8mm if I screw up. I do have a couple of 8mm pins but no reamer for them. Hopefully I will never get to that point.

I'll have to go looking for a bit that size. The largest I have is the 17/64th for drilling metal. Looks like Lowes has the 19/64th, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Hey Duffman, since it came up, your reamer is on the way! :) Huge thanks! Post some pics! I'll get some up soon as well, for some reason I just havent taken any...

Favorite thread ever!

lol came today what are the odds

oh and polish tantal kits are back in stock at apex i ordered one

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    congrats to pwoller! i want pictures..... and i was able to chase down both receiver for my romy rpk kit and polish tantal nodak spud has both in stock right now

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have to give a ton of thanks to "TheWabbit" he has spent a lot of his own time helping me with this build. I still have to do something with the wood and coat the metal but here are some pics.

P1010570_zps328a06d3.jpg

P1010571_zpse76f994c.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm looking to upgrade aspects of my SGL 21. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by 'upgrade'?

IMO the only upgrade an SGL 21 needs are: 1) more magazines, 2) more ammo, 3) a sling. After that I could go for a US Palm grip, and maybe some kind of optic on an RS Regulate mount, but that would be about it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I would love to have an RPK. I saw the kits available but not the receiver at NDS. And I have no idea where/when to find a barrel for it.
    im using a blug rpk barrel for mine which kvar has in stock.... nodak has them but right now they are a asking you call them for availability

Top Bottom