• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The allen screws, right? That's what I was thinking. I forgot all about the loctite. I'll fiddle with the adjustment and if I get it working, then I'll loctite them. I still may post a pic to make sure the spring ends didn't wind up where they shouldn't be.

What is this allen screws and loctite blasphemy I'm hearing with our beloved AK? If allen screws and loctite were to be used with AKs, the Soviets would have issued it.

Sometimes you just need a torch and a big ass hammer to take care of the job.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well I got the front site on but I'm going to wait to drill the barrel and pin it. I want to shoot this thing first. A couple issues I'm having...The hammer is not locking back when I cycle the bolt carrier and the whole action feels gritty. Gets stuck alot of times in differant locations.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    What is this allen screws and loctite blasphemy I'm hearing with our beloved AK? If allen screws and loctite were to be used with AKs, the Soviets would have issued it.

I didn't realize the soviets issued the Tapco triggers we all put in our builds :D lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Sometimes you just need a torch and a big ass hammer to take care of the job.
    Did I say allen screws? My bad. I meant IVAN screws. Oh, and the loctite is made from ground up bones of bourgeoisie swine mixed into a paste with vodka. Better? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fixed it!

Got 'er workin' now... It was indeed one of the [STRIKE]allen[/STRIKE] IVAN screws that needed adjusting. Springs were fine. The trigger pull is now a thing of beauty. :D

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Anyone have any experience with heat treating a receiver? I have read lots on the topic and opinions range from "people who treat their own are morons" to "don't over think it, it's an ak...". Just wanted to know if there was anyone somewhat local that's done it with good results! I have a couple bent flats now, and just picked up some 80%ers from Jack Squats Flat Spot and would like to get them ready to go just in case I trip on a cheap kit.

In other news, my PSL is up and ready for its first trip to the range! That receiver needed lots of trimming!!! :). Another huge thanks to Clay and Duffman for all of their help!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    so what did you end up doing with the muzzle brake?
    I very carefully dremel'd/ chiseled it off! Wouldnt know anything was even there! I'd like to at some point get it threaded and throw something cncwarrior makes on the end of it. I was thinking about this one Conical AIMR Flash Hider just because its a bit on the longer side. The rifle is pretty long, I might as well keep with that theme.

I'm hoping there is an "AK build party part II"

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Good deal! Do you have a set of calipers you can get a diameter of the muzzle end with? Hoping its around 14mm so you can just run a LH14x1 die over it.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    After many weeks of fighting, my other AK74 finally has a proper barrel pin installed. For anyone with a virgin barrel, you are going to need the correct reamer . I had one for a 7mm but this was oversized .302 pin. I tried to drill and file but all I did was get the pin stuck. I had to drill the pin out. After reaming with a .300, the pin was pressed in easily.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    good to hear it! should have said something at the build about it. there were at least 2 of us with 0.300 reamers and duffman had pins.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    yep i had some of .302 pins and the .314 pins for oversized needs and plently of stock pins all use .302 pins in all my builds and if for some reason the .300 reamer messes up thats what the .314 pins are for normally i will reduce the id for a perfect .002-.003 fit just ordered a few of the oversized yugo .302 pins as well i never realized they where so much longer till my m92 build

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Jeff helped me this evening with my head space issue on my rifle. I think what happened is I accidently head spaced my gun with someone elses bolt. It was just barely closing on the Massi No Go gauge. We push the barrel in a little bit and repined it and now it doesn't close on Jeffs no go gauge but it still just barely closes on the Massi gauge marked "AUS" which we assumed is the no go gauge. Jeff though it would be good to go but thought I should see what the others thought.

Top Bottom