Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seems like most of the social media I’m seeing has turned from “reasonable” legislation to “**** it, just take all the guns away.”

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems like most of the social media I’m seeing has turned from “reasonable” legislation to “**** it, just take all the guns away.”

I think, at some point it's inevitable that there will be some pretty severe restrictions. Even with minor spikes, decade by decade, there really hasn't been a net increase of gun owners...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think, at some point it's inevitable that there will be some pretty severe restrictions. Even with minor spikes, decade by decade, there really hasn't been a net increase of gun owners...

So the record breaking run of new gun owners in the post Sandy Hook era and the serious spike in over all numbers has no influence here....:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It seems the left wing of the Dem party has completely dropped any pretense of being reasonable in every category, economics, governing, guns, etc. They seem like true believing bolsheviks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So the record breaking run of new gun owners in the post Sandy Hook era and the serious spike in over all numbers has no influence here....:dunno:

No, not really. We'll get spikes here and there, but overall we're declining. And as older generations die off that will further continue the decline. Even for "new" owners, our ideas aren't exactly automatically adopted by them. And the periodic gun crazes we see, I seriously doubt people are buying ARs; during panics they seem to buy handguns, while the old heads are the ones buying up the RRAs/DDs/Colts etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For this, I think you should want him in office. Obama puts a face on many's perceived enemy (gun grabbers). He would've been a figurehead to oppose. People could have organized, and attacked him as attempting to infringe on rights. Since he's no longer in office, that really can't be done. If gun activists become vocal, it will most certainly paint them in a bad light...
    Given the politics this kid seemed to have, it would be wise to tread carefully, and hope this blows over.

I agree.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The number of households with a firearm has stayed pretty steady over the last several years. There has been a pretty noticeable spike in purchases, but it would appear it was mostly existing firearm owners buying more. There HAS been an uptick in minority owners, but, well, they are minorities, so don't impact the overall number a lot.

sgcossbzcei5hhmpeq0ryq.gif

percent_changes_since_1993_-_number_of_firearms_vs._gun_homicide_rate_1993-2013.png

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

No, not really. We'll get spikes here and there, but overall we're declining. And as older generations die off that will further continue the decline. Even for "new" owners, our ideas aren't exactly automatically adopted by them. And the periodic gun crazes we see, I seriously doubt people are buying ARs; during panics they seem to buy handguns, while the old heads are the ones buying up the RRAs/DDs/Colts etc.

Record breaking sales is what we've had since Sandy Hook, from what I've read. Assuming my understanding is correct, gun ownership has increased but to a large degree, of the sales splurge was by already gun owners.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Record breaking sales is what we've had since Sandy Hook, from what I've read. Assuming my understanding is correct, gun ownership has increased but to a large degree, of the sales splurge was by already gun owners.

Well, when I have kids they'll certainly be in the "new" category.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I see so many Newbies at ranges and LGS's. So many of them. Could the facts be skewed just a bit....????

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well, when I have kids they'll certainly be in the "new" category.

Strongly agree

I see so many Newbies at ranges and LGS's. So many of them. Could the facts be skewed just a bit....????

Thats what I wonder, I hear people ALL THE TIME talking about buying their first handgun or something of the nature. I meet LOTS of new people on a daily basis so it has seemed to me that the trend has been on the uphill. But when it comes to polls, I don't care who they are from, they are skewed and biased.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've got a bad feeling about this one. I'm glad Obama's not in office and if this keeps up and gains traction, we might just see how conservative Trump is. We really need the news cycle to turn over so this will go away.

Trump was for the so called "assault weapons ban" before he was against the so called "assault weapons ban".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The number of households with a firearm has stayed pretty steady over the last several years. There has been a pretty noticeable spike in purchases, but it would appear it was mostly existing firearm owners buying more. There HAS been an uptick in minority owners, but, well, they are minorities, so don't impact the overall number a lot.

sgcossbzcei5hhmpeq0ryq.gif

percent_changes_since_1993_-_number_of_firearms_vs._gun_homicide_rate_1993-2013.png

I left both graphics in the quote to illustrate why its important to be clear about statistics (sorry, a bit of a pet peeve of mine).

The first appears to be a percentage. The actual US population, therefore objective number of households, is increasing. So, to hold the same percentage of households (roughly) having firearms requires the objective number of households with firearms to increase in roughly the same proportion as the population at large.

So, I humbly submit that the assertion that it is existing firearms owners buying more is probably inaccurate. It is those "new" members of the population starting households and having guns. Now, MAYBE if you count children being raised in gun-owning households purchasing their own guns, it makes sense. But, I think it is more accurate that as some people decline to buy guns although they were raised in gun-owning households (which does happen, and the gravestone of John Moses Browning sheds a tear each time that happens), a non-gun-owning household decides to switch sides.

If that first graph is in raw numbers, like millions or something, then you may be right. But, if it is, I'm afraid that might be signaling the marginalization of gun owning households.

I love the stats that support the second graph. I included that one just for kicks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom