• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    All the answers are in the earlier posts. Some will help right away and others will take time because they have been eroding the system for a while now.

- Get rid of all the Gun Free Zone.... so the people have a chance to defend themselves and it's a deterrent to dirtbags.
    - Stop overdispensing drugs to the mentally ill...... this has been going on way too long. Most the damage is irreversible for some.
    - Prosecutors need to actually prosecute......as it is now, crime DOES pay. There is no incentive not to do the crime.
    - Judges need to keep dirtbags in prison and stop letting them out early...... cops are burned out by re-arresting dirtbags too soon.
    - Parents need to take more responsibility for their kids actions....... pro-active parenting is almost non-existent in certain places.

Easy fixes but liberals will have none of it. Only knee-jerk reactions to feel better in the short term.

oh, and IBTL :):
    Wow, amazing what can be had when you think instead of feelz!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And now I received a message that there was a non credible threat made against Noblesville High School for tomorrow. Two students overheard a conversation on the bus ride home today and used the confidential reporting app on the Pad to report the student making a threat. The school and NPD have made contact with that student. I am guessing that after the interview a determination was made that there was no real threat. The app is called Speak Up. The message continues to urge students to speak up and praised the two that reported the conversation.

This is great! The way things are supposed to work.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All the answers are in the earlier posts. Some will help right away and others will take time because they have been eroding the system for a while now.

- Get rid of all the Gun Free Zone.... so the people have a chance to defend themselves and it's a deterrent to dirtbags.
    - Stop dispensing drugs to the mentally ill...... this has been going on way too long. Most the damage is irreversible for some.
    - Prosecutors need to actually prosecute......as it is now, crime DOES pay. There is no incentive not to do the crime.
    - Judges need to keep dirtbags in prison and stop letting them out early...... cops are burned out by re-arresting dirtbags too soon.
    - Parents need to take more responsibility for their kids actions....... pro-active parenting is almost non-existent in certain places.

Easy fixes but liberals will will have none of it. Only knee-jerk reactions to feel better in the short term.

Let's not kid ourselves. No one who's unaffected by any of these gives a flying **** about murders in the inner city, or murderous jealous partners, or robberies gone bad, or accidents. So most of the things that you listed will help solve the school shooting.

But the last thing, that hits on this problem more than the other things do. I think a postmodern society doesn't have the moral IQ to handle freedom. The solution isn't to end freedom. The solution is to destroy postmodernism.

We got rid of god without replacing the basis for a moral society. There are consequences for doing that. I'm not saying we can't be moral without god, but we do need some common basis for moral individuals to live in society.

We've always had improperly socialized people--outcasts, misfits, whatever--who've done stuff like this. Used to be those kinds of people came along years or decades apart. So why are they now so much more frequent? Probably a lot of reasons that add up to what we're seeing. It's not just one thing. So people Avec, who think that if we just enact something, anything, as long as it's some kind of gun control, it'll make a difference, they're not helping to solve the problem. If anything they're directing everyone to a conversation that isn't helpful.

So all this time people are arguing back and forth, WE NEED GUN CONTROL -- NO WE DON'T -- YES WE DO -- NO WE DON'T... That's wasting our time. We should be talking about why people do this now more than ever. What impact does social media have? What impact does wall-to-wall TV coverage have? What impact does the crumbling of the nuclear family have?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Let's not kid ourselves. No one who's unaffected by any of these gives a flying **** about murders in the inner city, or murderous jealous partners, or robberies gone bad, or accidents. So most of the things that you listed will help solve the school shooting.

But the last thing, that hits on this problem more than the other things do. I think a postmodern society doesn't have the moral IQ to handle freedom. The solution isn't to end freedom. The solution is to destroy postmodernism.

We got rid of god without replacing the basis for a moral society. There are consequences for doing that. I'm not saying we can't be moral without god, but we do need some common basis for moral individuals to live in society.

We've always had improperly socialized people--outcasts, misfits, whatever--who've done stuff like this. Used to be those kinds of people came along years or decades apart. So why are they now so much more frequent? Probably a lot of reasons that add up to what we're seeing. It's not just one thing. So people Avec, who think that if we just enact something, anything, as long as it's some kind of gun control, it'll make a difference, they're not helping to solve the problem. If anything they're directing everyone to a conversation that isn't helpful.

So all this time people are arguing back and forth, WE NEED GUN CONTROL -- NO WE DON'T -- YES WE DO -- NO WE DON'T... That's wasting our time. We should be talking about why people do this now more than ever. What impact does social media have? What impact does wall-to-wall TV coverage have? What impact does the crumbling of the nuclear family have?

You're Right!
    Let's pass a law that will force everyone to go to church and pray so then ...... oh, wait....

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There's also lots more people now than ever before. It logically follows that well see more of every crime imaginable than we used to. As the population grows, so does the raw number of people committing atrocities. I'm sure that's PART of the issue. Not likely all of it, but at least a substantial part.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You're Right!
    Let's pass a law that will force everyone to go to church and pray so then ...... oh, wait....

Oh hell no!

But being individuals working in a society, the need for moral behavior should be self-evident. Properly socializing kids and teaching them how to behave and treat other people gives them the tools to handle freedom in a free society.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are more and more people who don’t respect the sanctity of life and, therefore, think nothing of ending lives. I wonder where these crazy ideas come from.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's also lots more people now than ever before. It logically follows that well see more of every crime imaginable than we used to. As the population grows, so does the raw number of people committing atrocities. I'm sure that's PART of the issue. Not likely all of it, but at least a substantial part.

That's a good point. Populations haven't grown nearly enough to account for the increasing occurrence, but there's also something to be said about the affect of living in closer proximity to others has on crime in general. Densely populated urban areas have much higher crime rates than rural areas. So it seems reasonable to say that increasing populations may have a non-linear affect on occurrences of violence.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My theory.....smart phones. People, especially the younger generations, aren’t developing good relationships and friendships like they used to. People are more miserable, depressed, and unhappy as a result. I really think the technology these days is a problem.

That's a good point. Populations haven't grown nearly enough to account for the increasing occurrence, but there's also something to be said about the affect of living in closer proximity to others has on crime in general. Densely populated urban areas have much higher crime rates than rural areas. So it seems reasonable to say that increasing populations may have a non-linear affect on occurrences of violence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are more and more people who don’t respect the sanctity of life and, therefore, think nothing of ending lives. I wonder where these crazy ideas come from.

This is what I'm getting at. In a postmodern world, there is no real concept of the sanctity of life. And even as an agnostic I think that's true. I have to admit that my Christian background has given me an appreciation of life that I think today's people don't have. Dave Ruben had Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson on his show, and they touched on that topic. Even though atheists/agnostics don't believe in God, in the West many of them still have the morality derived from the West, which is primarily based in Christianity.

Of course Shapiro thinks about that in religious terms. Peterson does to some extent, but with Peterson, the religious aspect is more about Jung's evolutionary archetypes at work. Lots of religions have many of the elements of Christianity. A Christian could make a case that they're all descendant from the first human beings from the creation story. Also an Evolutionist could make a case that what evolved as religion is the manifestation of some universal truths about human morality.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My theory.....smart phones. People, especially the younger generations, aren’t developing good relationships and friendships like they used to. People are more miserable, depressed, and unhappy as a result. I really think the technology these days is a problem.

I think you're right. I think that is a factor too. And the point of that is that it's not just one thing, unless we lump all the factors contributing to the problem into a single monolith and find a name for it. It's more complicated than the people with the loudest voices are willing to admit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Depression would lead more to suicide than to murder.

Some of those mass shootings could be considered "suicide by cops" but most of the depressed kids don't have the will to kill others.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom