• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I thought they completely avoided the issue. It seemed to me he made his comments only because he felt he had to say something. Honestly the needle hasn't moved one way of the other. So what's the point of even making a statement?

I thought addressing the mental health issue was the issue that needs to be addressed.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Personally I think we need to bring back "institutions" in the United States too many unstable people are out there and the second they go off their meds they loose their minds effectively speaking. When deinstitutionalization hit the United States in the 1970's the mental patients previously in institutions wound up homeless or in jail (jails and prisons are basically the new mental institutions).

I do not think that people with temporary issues (IE: depression) should be barred from having firearms but people diagnosed with diseases that cannot be controlled only medicated such as Schizophrenia should not be allowed to own firearms. I have seen this type of disease up close and when the person is on their meds they are relatively "normal" but they almost always stop taking them because they are "better now" thats when the voices come back telling them to kill everyone in their house.

Now I know this would not help with allot of school shootings immediately but if these resources were available more readily then it might help, parents could get their kids the help they need instead of the quick "in and out" system most hospitals employ currently for mental issues. Places for people to get the proper medications figured out before they leave would be fantastic instead of coming back every month to change the meds often times as outlined in other posts to find the right drug cocktail for the individual.

I would also like to develop a system for reporting the "troubled" kids in school for mental health issues as to be honest not being very far removed from high school and college it does not take long to figure out who the favorite candidate for "most likely school shooter" is in a school. The issue is with how it is handled and reported as in Tipton a HS student was recently reported as "having a list and planning on shooting up the school" turns out the report was 100% malicious and the product of a cruel prank by two other students.

Parents need to do better most of all IMHO, the Newton shooter (I refuse to mention these peoples names and honestly wish them and their entire family were effectively removed from history) there is NO way his parents did not know he was deranged, they just chose to ignore it. People go around believing that their children can do no wrong, that is a lie anyone regardless of birth and background under the correct circumstances is capable of committing evil acts.

I wish there was a simple solution to this problem but unfortunately it is a multifaceted issue that will require probably years to even properly scratch the surface or make meaningful changes to.

I believe if we are going to reduce the occurrence of this type of violence, we are going to have to do something akin to what you are suggesting here. This and some decent parenting would probably go along way, especially if the media vultures quit making these low lifes famous.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I still have to be a Constitutionalist. As much as I would like to go along with that idea, I can't. The same goes with the Second Amendment. I have no illusions about how to solve this issue, but the Constitution doesn't allow it, and I don't want to be the collateral damage as a result of collective safety.

We have a justice system not a revenge system...at least that's what it's supposed to be.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At the press conference, the school administrator went out of his way to say that the students wanted a conversation on gun control. :dunno:

Why wouldn't they say they wanted more see something say something?
    Why wouldn't they say they wanted the school and law enforcement to follow up on threats?
    Why wouldn't they say they wanted a noted threat to be tracked online?

I don't believe the administrator, I would like to see his correspondence to substantiate this claim.

This also makes one wonder what they teach these students...

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I still have to be a Constitutionalist. As much as I would like to go along with that idea, I can't. The same goes with the Second Amendment. I have no illusions about how to solve this issue, but the Constitution doesn't allow it, and I don't want to be the collateral damage as a result of collective safety.

Bravo.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Lets waive the 8th Amendment for this guy , Florida still sanctions the use of the Electric Chair, lets set it to a relatively low power to ensure that it takes a good amount of time to achieve the desired effect. Then eliminate this dirt-bag from history

I gotta go with Kut on this one. And deep down, you probably do too. But I have the same sentiment as you. Nothing we can do to this guy will be Justice for those families. Still, let's not make the Constitution one of his victims.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    At the press conference, the school administrator went out of his way to say that the students wanted a conversation on gun control. :dunno:

Why wouldn't they say they wanted more see something say something?
    Why wouldn't they say they wanted the school and law enforcement to follow up on threats?
    Why wouldn't they say they wanted a noted threat to be tracked online?

I don't believe the administrator, I would like to see his correspondence to substantiate this claim.

In high school students are graded on their ability to receive information from a teacher and regurgitate it back to them. Why would we be surprised to hear them do that in this case?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So I posted a rant on FB about disarming as I go in to schools(learned about shooting as I entered my daughter's school). Got called Wyatt almost immediately and told 'And your'e 22 times more likely to shoot a kid as you try to react to a situation cuz of a study I read a few years ago. But hey...'merica. '.

I went and found that study...you might want to read through it. BOTH links...not just the NRA-biased link. NRA is right...and my 'friend was wrong' in my opinion. I'd be curious to confirm the NRAs assertion that the study was political in nature....but as he has brought this up more than once...I figured I'd share so you can be educated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9715182

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20011211/22-times-less-safebranti-gun-lobbys-f

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thought addressing the mental health issue was the issue that needs to be addressed.

Convince me that if the shooter were a DACA kid or a Muslim immigrant that we'd have heard the same tepid response. The president isn't going to go off the rails and alienate a huge portion of his support.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Of course, if the school actually WANTS a conversation, this is a great opportunity for the likes of Colin Noir, Dana Loesch, or even Ben Shapiro to offer their time.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The link posted about the bulletproof backpacks while a good idea are only rated level IIIA. That is for handgun stopping power. Dont you need level IV to stop rifle rounds which is what school shootings normal have.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The link posted about the bulletproof backpacks while a good idea are only rated level IIIA. That is for handgun stopping power. Dont you need level IV to stop rifle rounds which is what school shootings normal have.

I believe the Martinsville school shooting a few years ago involved a handgun. And, at that point, I think IIIA protection would be better than nothing....

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Convince me that if the shooter were a DACA kid or a Muslim immigrant that we'd have heard the same tepid response. The president isn't going to go off the rails and alienate a huge portion of his support.

I'm not sure? In your question would the DACA kid or the Muslim immigrant have mental health issues?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just a quick FYI - some schools may sympathize with a parent's interest in knowing about the emergency action plan, but they also will likely decline to share it. The fear is that a parent with that information may try to "game" the system for purposes of an attack.

It is a difficult situation. They may want parents to be reassured, but not at the expense of opsec.

I am not aware of anything that generally requires the information to be shared with parents.
    Well,ours has a policy that they will show it to parents so I guess some parents may have to go to greater steps to see it. I've submitted to multiple background checks by the school in order to take an active roll in my child's education for things like trips and activities that parents can volunteer for. So if they were worried about a parent seeing the action plan they could just ask them to submit to a background check first.
    You can never fully plan for insane people. If someone is insainly and cowardly committing violence against innocent people they will do it. I just hope a good guy with a gun is there to stop them

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I gotta go with Kut on this one. And deep down, you probably do too. But I have the same sentiment as you. Nothing we can do to this guy will be Justice for those families. Still, let's not make the Constitution one of his victims.

I do agree with Kut on this one, it would be much too slippery of a slope to start trampling on the constitution like that. That being said the electric chair is still a legal form of execution in the state of Florida an I sincerely hope they use it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not sure? In your question would the DACA kid or the Muslim immigrant have mental health issues?

No. The point being, that the subject for discussion of this tragedy can't be completely separated from firearms. Being a "pro-gun" president doesn't allow him to be as vocal as he might have been otherwise if this tragedy was perpetrated by people who are members of the groups I referenced.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Well,ours has a policy that they will show it to parents so I guess some parents may have to go to greater steps to see it. I've submitted to multiple background checks by the school in order to take an active roll in my child's education for things like trips and activities that parents can volunteer for. So if they were worried about a parent seeing the action plan they could just ask them to submit to a background check first.
    You can never fully plan for insane people. If someone is insainly and cowardly committing violence against innocent people they will do it. I just hope a good guy with a gun is there to stop them

Just received an email from our school superintendent reassuring their safety policies and provided a link to learn more about the ALICE procedure that is in place. Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate.
    http://www.alicetraining.com

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom