• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While it is prudent to look at what can reasonably be done to try to prevent these horrific acts from happening or to lessen their impact, misuse of freedom by some is the price of freedom. ​There is no "will never happen again" solution. None.

So, you might say that accepting this as a risk is part and parcel of living in a free nation?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    While it is prudent to look at what can reasonably be done to try to prevent these horrific acts from happening or to lessen their impact, misuse of freedom by some is the price of freedom. ​There is no "will never happen again" solution. None.

This is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, pointing that out to the general public outside the cozy confines of this forum, tends to lead members of said public to label one as a supporter of dead kids.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Pretty sad that my daughter has had armor in her backpack since she was in first grade.
    Schools don't even treat violent students or threats of violence seriously. They still think they can "save" everyone and use a soft touch for their sensibilities.
    This school shooter was known by student and I'm sure we will find out he was known to administrators too. Sad

Thanks for that good idea. I hadn't thought about doing this. Did you just get some ar500 plates made for a vest?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I think we need to bring back "institutions" in the United States too many unstable people are out there and the second they go off their meds they loose their minds effectively speaking. When deinstitutionalization hit the United States in the 1970's the mental patients previously in institutions wound up homeless or in jail (jails and prisons are basically the new mental institutions).

I do not think that people with temporary issues (IE: depression) should be barred from having firearms but people diagnosed with diseases that cannot be controlled only medicated such as Schizophrenia should not be allowed to own firearms. I have seen this type of disease up close and when the person is on their meds they are relatively "normal" but they almost always stop taking them because they are "better now" thats when the voices come back telling them to kill everyone in their house.

Now I know this would not help with allot of school shootings immediately but if these resources were available more readily then it might help, parents could get their kids the help they need instead of the quick "in and out" system most hospitals employ currently for mental issues. Places for people to get the proper medications figured out before they leave would be fantastic instead of coming back every month to change the meds often times as outlined in other posts to find the right drug cocktail for the individual.

I would also like to develop a system for reporting the "troubled" kids in school for mental health issues as to be honest not being very far removed from high school and college it does not take long to figure out who the favorite candidate for "most likely school shooter" is in a school. The issue is with how it is handled and reported as in Tipton a HS student was recently reported as "having a list and planning on shooting up the school" turns out the report was 100% malicious and the product of a cruel prank by two other students.

Parents need to do better most of all IMHO, the Newton shooter (I refuse to mention these peoples names and honestly wish them and their entire family were effectively removed from history) there is NO way his parents did not know he was deranged, they just chose to ignore it. People go around believing that their children can do no wrong, that is a lie anyone regardless of birth and background under the correct circumstances is capable of committing evil acts.

I wish there was a simple solution to this problem but unfortunately it is a multifaceted issue that will require probably years to even properly scratch the surface or make meaningful changes to.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, pointing that out to the general public outside the cozy confines of this forum, tends to lead members of said public to label one as a supporter of dead kids.

I wouldn't try to explain this to any parents at their kids' funerals.

So, you might say that accepting this as a risk is part and parcel of living in a free nation?

Sure...if I were less eloquent.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Sad that this is even needed.......BulletBlocker Bulletproof Backpacks and Body Armor

I still think Gun Free Zones are like fish bowls.
    Our youngest is not allowed to bring his backpack to class, and would have to go to his locker to get it.
    One of his teachers kept a "rock collection" on the windowsill, with instructions that students would grab one and be ready to use it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Tragedy aside, the more I hear about this kid (yes, 19 is a kid) the more sorry I feel for him and less shocked I am it happened.

The only thing I'm sorry about,for this kid, is that he didn't start his spree by putting a bullet in his own head. I think this "mental illness" trope is a kop out. He knew right from wrong, and chose to do evil.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thought the President's comments this morning were poignant and well delivered.

I thought they completely avoided the issue. It seemed to me he made his comments only because he felt he had to say something. Honestly the needle hasn't moved one way of the other. So what's the point of even making a statement?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I thought they completely avoided the issue. It seemed to me he made his comments only because he felt he had to say something. Honestly the needle hasn't moved one way of the other. So what's the point of even making a statement?

Well, for one, the media would have raked him over the coals if he didn't.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The only thing I'm sorry about,for this kid, is that he didn't start his spree by putting a bullet in his own head. I think this "mental illness" trope is a kop out. He knew right from wrong, and chose to do evil.

Lets waive the 8th Amendment for this guy , Florida still sanctions the use of the Electric Chair, lets set it to a relatively low power to ensure that it takes a good amount of time to achieve the desired effect. Then eliminate this dirt-bag from history

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lets waive the 8th Amendment for this guy , Florida still sanctions the use of the Electric Chair, lets set it to a relatively low power to ensure that it takes a good amount of time to achieve the desired effect. Then eliminate this dirt-bag from history

I still have to be a Constitutionalist. As much as I would like to go along with that idea, I can't. The same goes with the Second Amendment. I have no illusions about how to solve this issue, but the Constitution doesn't allow it, and I don't want to be the collateral damage as a result of collective safety.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012

WELL SAID!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom