Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    On the topic of journalism, here's a great post that I read awhile back. Talks about how algorithms drive clickbait, which results in misinformation.

The real story of machine learning is not how it promotes home bomb-making, but that it's being deployed at scale with minimal ethical oversight, in the service of a business model that relies entirely on psychological manipulation and mass surveillance. The capacity to manipulate people at scale is being sold to the highest bidder, and has infected every aspect of civic life, including democratic elections and journalism.

Link: Idle Words

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    He was Saying it's very hard to convert semi to full and you have to "gut the whole firing mechanism, you may as well buy a new gun". She found YouTube videos of people showing how to do it and challenged him on it. He was correct in saying registered guns are never used in crimes
    I heard one "expert" on tv say bump stocks are "legal in most states, but when you put them on a semi auto gun, it makes the gun full auto, and illegal"!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    On the topic of journalism, here's a great post that I read awhile back. Talks about how algorithms drive clickbait, which results in misinformation.

In the finest tradition of Pulitzer and Hurst...all the news that's fit to make up for increased circulation. Some turn of the century 'follow the money'.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've already compromised on:
    - National Firearms Act
    - Federal Firearms Act
    - Safe Streets Act
    - Gun Control Act
    - Firearm Owners Protection Act
    - Undetectable Firearms Act
    - Gun-Free School Zones Act
    - Brady Act
    - and any number of state and local ordinances.

I think I've compromised enough. Considering, the "other side's" version of compromise it to simple take more and more.

So, while "bump stocks" may be more a gimmick, the anti-freedom folks can put a cork in it. I'm not interested.

Again. Yup.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    TSA style? Does that mean I get a poke and a squeeze every time I open the safe?

No, that means they give you a poke and a squeeze and a radiation scan prior to opening your safe while you are not there without your permission. Would you like some additional violations? Just ask.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A brilliantly lit stage would've made an easy ball to call, coming from the north.

Heck the VOR/TACAN (its been awhile for me, I think that's what those radio beacons are) for 19R at the airport could've led him almost to it.

GPS direct. Preload the determined course. Immediately after takeoff while still on tower freq call a potential engine failure emergency and say you will try to make the field. Voila! Complete freedom to maneuver at low altitude as desired

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've posted the message below on FB three times now over the past few years when something like this occurs. All you really need to do is walk them through the logical conclusion of their goals and sprinkle in some undeniable truths. Don't be surprised if no one wants to engage you in civil discourse, no one ever has with me.

I typically try to avoid political discussions here as they rarely end without someone getting their feelings hurt. The gun control topic is my personal “hot button” because I cannot understand the logic from the other side unless I want to simply ignore some very basic, very simple facts. Whenever we have a lunatic cut loose like we did in San Bernardino we get to hear the talking heads spouting their side of the argument. I’m opening this up for anyone who wishes to have honest, respectful discourse on the issue. I will do my very best not to be condescending or rude and hope anyone who chooses to comment will do the same. I would also like to preface this by stating that I am not advocating for less controls than we currently have in place. I do not feel that the current precautions are unreasonable regardless of how the 2nd Amendment is worded. Unfortunately the nature of our society and the world has changed significantly since it was written. All that said, here are the facts as I see them.

1. Laws do not prevent crime.
    What happened in Paris and in San Bernardino was illegal with or without the use of firearms. Murder is illegal as is attempted murder and that fact does not deter someone who has decided to go down that path. The status of the murder weapon does not influence the murderer one way or the other.

2. Prohibition does not eradicate that which is prohibited.
    The prohibition on alcohol was a massive failure in this country. The prohibition of cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana has been even more so. You can find all sorts of numbers on it but its safe to say this country has spent well in excess of a trillion dollars attempting to prevent its citizens from consuming these substances. These illegal substances are more prevalent today than they were when the were deemed unlawful to possess. A prohibition on handguns in Chicago, Washington DC and New York City have not resulted in the disappearance of handguns.
    Prohibiting semi automatic rifles, handguns or shotguns will not make them disappear. They are here and they are here to stay. Millions and millions of these firearms have been in the possession of law abiding citizens for decades with no negative effect on society. Would we have fewer gun related deaths if they did not exist? Quite possibly but that is never going to happen. Chasing that dream is a complete and total waste of time as proven by our experiences with alcohol and illegal narcotics.

3. Obtaining firearms through lawful means is not “easy”.
    Buying a gallon of milk is easy. Legally purchasing a gun from a licensed dealer whether at a gun store or at a gun show requires the purchaser to show state issued identification, fill out a form and have a criminal background check conducted on that person before they can walk out with that firearm. Is this going to stop gun crime? Not by a long shot but I don’t believe it is unreasonable to take this basic precaution.
    The private sale of firearms (in Indiana) is lawful provided the seller is not knowingly selling to someone who is prohibited from possessing a firearm. This can occur at a gun show (and undoubtedly does) but it can also occur in a Walmart parking lot. There is no requirement for a bill of sale, receipt or any other record of the transaction to be completed or maintained by either party.

4. Making guns illegal will not solve any problems.
    The prohibition of illegal narcotics has our prisons packed with drug offenders. So much so that years ago we began releasing them well before they had served out their sentence. It is now widely understood that a convict can expect to serve half of their sentence.
    The problem of prison overcrowding has gotten to the point now where we no longer even bother with appropriate sentencing. I have personally had contact with well over two dozen criminals with murder convictions who were back on the streets of Indianapolis and still young enough to run from the police. Our current legal system is not a deterrent to criminals largely due to the failures of prohibition attempts and their ability to overload the system.

5. Guns are inanimate objects, they cannot act autonomously.
    Guns are man made objects, formed of plastic and metal. They do not have feelings. They are incapable of influencing human intention. They are tools, plain and simple. They are designed to inflict damage but are easily capable of preventing it.

6. The only reasonably successful means of defending against an armed criminal is to provide them with armed resistance.
    Firearms are hugely effective in their intended purpose. The primary reason for owning firearms for millions and millions of Americans is for self defense.

If you accept the facts that I presented above and you still advocate for a prohibition on firearms (of any type currently legal) then you must also accept the fact that you do not believe people in this country should have the right or the means to defend themselves against a criminal attack. That is the only result which comes from banning firearms.

These are the facts as I understand them and provides an explanation on my stance. I’m open to discussion if anyone can provide a logical argument to the contrary. I’m not interested in statistics, they are as easily corrupted as most politicians.

I hope you don't mind. I posted this on FB.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    By the way, thanks to fellow INGOers that have joined in on my FB argument about swimming pools.
    The woman arguing against "military style weapons" used to be an anti-gunner. She is now a gunner, but only understands the "need" for guns like hers.

And, she might be an ex-gf.
    :)

Top Bottom