Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Good piece from a former anti-gun journalist.

As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn't even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ladies,

You do realize, don't you, that the "trade" for suppressors is a non-starter for the other side? Why would they bargain? They believe they have the tide of public opinion with them.

It would be a tempting bargain, but is really beyond an rational hope.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow. Talk about damned if you do, damned if you dont.

IF we dont buy safes we are unsafe freaks. if we buy a safe we are crazy because it is too big.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Concerning firearms........ "Nobody needs XXXXXXXXXXX."

Who decides the XXXXXXXX?

Your idea of XXXXXXX is not my idea of XXXXXXX.

What you need is a haircut , shave and to put some damn clothes on !

As a gun enthusiast, I am in that same group.

But, as a gun rights enthusiast, I know that I have to defend this segment, even though I don't particularly like it.

When they came for bumpstocks, I did nothing because I didn't have bumpstocks....

As a person I don't care if they're banned or not .

As a "gun guy" I already know which group I Have to side with .

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Spinning props, impacting and fragmenting metal, exploding fuel...it would have been a mess. Hitting a specific spot on the ground though...without guidance...maybe he wasn't that good of a pilot.

A brilliantly lit stage would've made an easy ball to call, coming from the north.

Heck the VOR/TACAN (its been awhile for me, I think that's what those radio beacons are) for 19R at the airport could've led him almost to it.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Ladies,

You do realize, don't you, that the "trade" for suppressors is a non-starter for the other side? Why would they bargain? They believe they have the tide of public opinion with them.

Yeah, some of us are thinking logically about a reasonable trade. Meanwhile, in reality, the antis just want to take more and more any way they can. **** them. Let's stand together guys. Not one more inch!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So let's take a step back and look at the reaction to this on all sides. Let me remove a few groups:

Angry ideologues that see this as an opportunity.
    Angry ideologues that don't care, just like name-calling and insulting on the internets.
    Angry gun owners that don't care, just like repeating "FREEDOM".

Let's just look at the people that don't understand. Your fellow Americans that don't necessarily subscribe to either team's newsletter... your neighbors and peers.

They see ~60 people killed in a single act, and they're sad... frustrated... disappointed... and sometimes angry. They want to know how and why. They don't understand why people should be allowed to buy so many guns, or so much ammo, or modifications that make them faster, etc... They don't get it, but they might start thinking something should be done about it.

Without getting defensive, is there a way to communicate to them why restricting firearms isn't the right course of action? Without playing politics, without name-calling, without broad answers ("FREEDOM!")... how do you explain to these Americans that otherwise don't care about guns... why the guns aren't the problem?

Curious if any of you have had to tone down, or phrase differently, your defense of firearms when it comes to the people you're talking to.

This being the internet, we mostly just see the angry ideologues screaming irrational things at gun owners, laying all the blame on them, the NRA, etc... But if we look past those people, there are others that just don't get it.

First determine if they're anti-gun zealots or otherwise, ideologues. If they are either, you're not going change their minds. I'm not saying you don't engage them at all, but they're not going to change their minds.

If they're not anti-gun zealots or otherwise, ideologues, then just say the truth. They'll probably have questions about all the stuff they've been hearing, and just answer their questions honestly.

Someone from work asked me about it yesterday. He thought full autos were legal. I explained the NFA process. I also explained how the bump fire stocks work and how the "gat cranks" work. In the end he was like, well, it doesn't sound like any laws would have stopped it.

I think a lot of non-ideologues who might call themselves "anti-gun" or even progressive, don't really know the facts, because they only know what they're told. So just informing them of the facts often gets them to at least think about it.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I came back to it earlier today.

Shooter sent 12 or so volleys downrange in about 10 minutes. Uniformed security guard came to the room to check on the smoke detector and loud noises. Shooter shot him through the door, injuring him. Shooter then turned a gun on himself.

It was an hour later that SWAT busted down that particular door.

Thank you sir, thats what I was curious about.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A brilliantly lit stage would've made an easy ball to call, coming from the north.

Heck the VOR/TACAN (its been awhile for me, I think that's what those radio beacons are) for 19R at the airport could've led him almost to it.

In Vegas (the city of lights)? From the air? Maybe...if you know what you are doing and looking for. For the average pilot I think it would have been a bit more confusing to make that call on the first pass anyway. Of course given the SA of the crowd you might have been able to make a go round or two.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Tempting? Hell, I'd call it a no brainer. And yes, all us ladies know bargaining with DiFi is not rational. But a girl can dream.;)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    WTB automatic rounds.

From what I understand, that's all I need to make my AR go pewpewpewpewpewpewpew without spending thousands of dollars.

I'm all for having the conversation... but these ****ing journalists need to know what they're talking about before they hit "publish"

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

201608-Faustian-Part2-large.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WTB automatic rounds.

From what I understand, that's all I need to make my AR go pewpewpewpewpewpewpew without spending thousands of dollars.

I'm all for having the conversation... but these ****ing journalists need to know what they're talking about before they hit "publish"

Agenda agenda agenda click bait agenda agenda Rhetoric click bait. No real journalists left anymore.

Top Bottom