Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    One thing I read, but didn't find substantiation for, was that they started a room-to-room search on the 29th floor before going to the 32nd, where they knew the guy was. Haven't gotten clarity on that part of the timeline.

Supposedly they were clearing the floors below and above the shooter to protect any nearby non-combatants. Makes a little sense, but not a whole lot...even when considering the explosive dynamic entry on the room. LVMPD SWAT is well-versed in explosive dynamic entry, so I really don't see that being a big issue.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We shouldn't give an inch. Still can't help but think offering to trade those silly gadgets going on to the NFA for suppressors coming off might open positive silencer dialog. :dunno:

I had typed a similar thought, but I'd let them ban the silly gadgets outright, no grandfathering, for suppressors coming off the NFA.

I didn't hit post because I thought it might be seen as giving an inch and make me flunk the INGO ideology purity test.;)

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Someone planning to die providing resources and personal items to family and friends is pretty classic pre-suicide behavior...and this was definitely a murder suicide..

Too bad this guy doesn't fit the " classic " mold huh ?

The only thing that seems " classic " at this point is the tools he used and the drugs he was on .

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I posted the wrong link....The correct one from an hour ago is there now...

Its sad that someone would offer up anti gun bils so often that you get confused over which is the current one.

And I heard the starting on the 29th floor was due to bad intel by someone who rushed and couldnt count how many floors were below the broken window. (not throwing stones, I have been known to miscount myself)

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Random thoughts: Knob Creek will be held in just over a week. I can only wonder the level of national news attention it will attract with all the ant-gun fanatics shrieking about the culture it fosters. It has gone by in the past without any news media attention that I've seen. Cannot imagine it will fly under national news media radar this time.
    :popcorn:

That problem has been dealt with before. Right after Columbine was the first time it got negative national attention. The organizers, shooters, and vendors are unfortunately accustomed to this by now.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Concerning firearms........ "Nobody needs XXXXXXXXXXX."

Who decides the XXXXXXXX?

Your idea of XXXXXXX is not my idea of XXXXXXX.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    P.S.
    Random thoughts: Knob Creek will be held in just over a week. I can only wonder the level of national news attention it will attract with all the ant-gun fanatics shrieking about the culture it fosters. It has gone by in the past without any news media attention that I've seen. Cannot imagine it will fly under national news media radar this time.
    :popcorn:

Actually, the alarmist press coverage of a responsible group of people doing responsible things with dangerous tools might backfire (pardon the pun) on the MSM. I mean, those folks are generally really good ambassadors for us.
    Supposedly they were clearing the floors below and above the shooter to protect any nearby non-combatants. Makes a little sense, but not a whole lot...even when considering the explosive dynamic entry on the room. LVMPD SWAT is well-versed in explosive dynamic entry, so I really don't see that being a big issue.

Yeah, not a big issue, but just something I'd like to get clarity on. (But, won't lose sleep over.) :)

I mean, they put a tac group near the door where they know he is to make sure he doesn't get out. Within a few minutes, without any more volleys forthcoming, they start to figure out the threat's probably been neutralized. Take the time to get civilians out of the floors underneath and above in case the place is rigged with explosives.

I suspect that, if shooter had continued shooting, the dynamic entry would've happened much sooner.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I had typed a similar thought, but I'd let them ban the silly gadgets outright, no grandfathering, for suppressors coming off the NFA.

I didn't hit post because I thought it might be seen as giving an inch and make me flunk the INGO ideology purity test.;)

A tit-for-tat trade with NFA amnesty registration might fly. The no grandfathering is a VERY dangerous precedent to set. What will you be willing to give up after the next nut-job tragedy? What will the antis try to take after the next nut-job tragedy? With no grandfathering, you will be SOL the next time around whether you are willing to give up that next item or not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the devices are stupid. I have a hard time defending stupidity even though I understand the ideology.

As a gun enthusiast, I am in that same group.

But, as a gun rights enthusiast, I know that I have to defend this segment, even though I don't particularly like it.

When they came for bumpstocks, I did nothing because I didn't have bumpstocks....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Its sad that someone would offer up anti gun bils so often that you get confused over which is the current one.

And I heard the starting on the 29th floor was due to bad intel by someone who rushed and couldnt count how many floors were below the broken window. (not throwing stones, I have been known to miscount myself)

Isn't easier to count down from the top?

i have tried to do this before. It's hard unless you really know the building. Usually first windows are not floor one. Top windows may not be the top floor.

but also, is the fire alarm alerted per room or just segment of building? I have to imagine it went off fairly quickly

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    As a gun enthusiast, I am in that same group.

But, as a gun rights enthusiast, I know that I have to defend this segment, even though I don't particularly like it.

When they came for bumpstocks, I did nothing because I didn't have bumpstocks....

As I said, I understand the ideology. I even agree with most of it. But, I thought these things were a ridiculous toy and ammo waster when they were first introduced and my opinion hasn't changed.

At best, I agee with NFA registration of them. Banning them doesn't bother me one bit.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I think the devices are stupid. I have a hard time defending stupidity even though I understand the ideology.

I agree that they are pretty ridiculous, but I hate to offer up gun parts (no matter how stupid) on the sacrificial altar just because I don't see the point.

At best, I agee with NFA registration of them. Banning them doesn't bother me one bit.

I disagree with this based on the fact that you are still only pulling the trigger once per round fired... plus you can do it without the stock. It's almost like making a law regulating how fast you can make follow up shots.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Concerning firearms........ "Nobody needs XXXXXXXXXXX."

Who decides the XXXXXXXX?

Your idea of XXXXXXX is not my idea of XXXXXXX.

According to the Supreme Court, with respect to XXXXXXX, you know it when you see it.

(Or is that only XXX?)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just throwing this out there - would you trade bumpstocks becoming a grandfathered NFA item if supressors were removed?

As one is meant to skirt the law, and could result in more damage over time... and the other is meant to protect your hearing, and likely impractical for realistic covert killing... Yes. I would trade a plastic toy for a useful suppressor... in this very specific situation. It's definitely a trade up.

Doesn't sound like we're going to get a choice, though.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anyone find the girlfriends words to her family strange!?

'Relax, we shouldn't worry about it. I'll fix it. Do not panic. I have a clean conscience,'" Bustos told the outlet Wednesday morning.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A tit-for-tat trade with NFA amnesty registration might fly. The no grandfathering is a VERY dangerous precedent to set. What will you be willing to give up after the next nut-job tragedy? What will the antis try to take after the next nut-job tragedy? With no grandfathering, you will be SOL the next time around whether you are willing to give up that next item or not.

Given that automatic firearms are not illegal, I fail to see how such a bill would pass constitutional (or any other) muster. This is like overcharging a crime to score political points. If DiFi were smart (and we know, thankfully, that she isn't), she would have proposed a bill that merely makes "bump fire devices" an NFA item, subject to the same regulation as other Class 3 items.

Top Bottom