Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Incrementalism.

With the ATF records, they have a paper trail as to who owns what. A small shift (statistically) in political leadership and we could have a small step along the Australian Model gun ban. "We don't want your all guns, just the bad ones, like.... semi-auto .50 cal."

Reference to indexed, easy to use ATF records, and they can find everyone who's purchased semi-auto .50 cal. Send out the investigators and it becomes very easy.

Now, can they do that with the current system, yeah- sorta, but the budgeting for resources makes it impractical. And that's ok with me.

Yes, there is a hard tradeoff when you and your colleagues are working hard to solve crimes. It takes longer. They are looking for a single needle in a massive room full of needles. Just IMHO, that's an ok tradeoff, but I can see how reasonable people could disagree on the matter.

If we are talking about a computerization of ATF records of Firearms purchases, it seems to me that that is very close to a registration. Some people would think that makes it easier to confiscate firearms.

Nevermind already been said.

It sounds like an unsubstantiated and irrational fear of the unknown. There is not a shred of evidence that this is even a likely outcome. Let's not kid ourselves, you are "registering" yourself with every 4473 you fill out. It only makes it to the ATF when the business shutters. The ATF HAS the information, it's laughable to believe that digitizing the records of defunct businesses could lead to mass confiscation...it's irrational. It's just as irrational as the left's fear of "assault rifles".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can see it now.... " pre ban bumpstock 1000 dollars"

So you're assuming a ban would allow retention of the ones that are out there?

Hopefully, we won't have to find out.

I've fired enough real full-auto weapons to know that full auto isn't all that orgasmic and simulating it is just a waste of money, but I hate to see more laws.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    From a report on the radio this morning, he used 7.62 and .223 rifles (according to said news report, "both known to be capable of penetrating police body armor") with "modified bump stocks to imitate full auto fire."

And California Senator Dianne Feinstein is out there today claiming these "bump" add ons make the weapon full auto...which is a LIE. These devices make the weapon capable of a faster trigger pulling rate, but does not make them automatic.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Captain Picard has a word for the gun grabbers.

[video=youtube;Jln3mi0vfJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU[/video]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If we give up anything, it will just show weakness and they will be like sharks with blood in the water.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It sounds like an unsubstantiated and irrational fear of the unknown. There is not a shred of evidence that this is even a likely outcome. Let's not kid ourselves, you are "registering" yourself with every 4473 you fill out. It only makes it to the ATF when the business shutters.

Technically it does not go to the ATF but to a non Governmental storage facility that ATF has access to...IIRC....

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It sounds like an unsubstantiated and irrational fear of the unknown. There is not a shred of evidence that this is even a likely outcome. Let's not kid ourselves, you are "registering" yourself with every 4473 you fill out. It only makes it to the ATF when the business shutters. The ATF HAS the information, it's laughable to believe that digitizing the records of defunct businesses could lead to mass confiscation...it's irrational. It's just as irrational as the left's fear of "assault rifles".
    They're actually afraid of "assault weapons" (which they can never quite define). "Assault rifle" has a certain specific meaning (full auto). I'm not sure how you don't know this.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

kangaroo_600_600.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The ATF HAS the information, it's laughable to believe that digitizing the records of defunct businesses could lead to mass confiscation...it's irrational. It's just as irrational as the left's fear of "assault rifles".

It doesn't necessarily lead to confiscation. Just makes it easier.

No one is coming for your guns. And if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Incrementalism.

With the ATF records, they have a paper trail as to who owns what. A small shift (statistically) in political leadership and we could have a small step along the Australian Model gun ban. "We don't want your all guns, just the bad ones, like.... semi-auto .50 cal."

Reference to indexed, easy to use ATF records, and they can find everyone who's purchased semi-auto .50 cal. Send out the investigators and it becomes very easy.

Now, can they do that with the current system, yeah- sorta, but the budgeting for resources makes it impractical. And that's ok with me.

Yes, there is a hard tradeoff when you and your colleagues are working hard to solve crimes. It takes longer. They are looking for a single needle in a massive room full of needles. Just IMHO, that's an ok tradeoff, but I can see how reasonable people could disagree on the matter.

You know that's not true. It just shows the first person who bought it from the gun store, not who currently owns it.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    So you're assuming a ban would allow retention of the ones that are out there?

Hopefully, we won't have to find out.

I've fired enough real full-auto weapons to know that full auto isn't all that orgasmic and simulating it is just a waste of money, but I hate to see more laws.

I do not want to find out either. Im implying if it were to happen it would mostly likley be grandfathered. I would think these would be the silly things posted on armslist.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    You know that's not true. It just shows the first person who bought it from the gun store, not who currently owns it.

Yeah, I own a few guns. The only 4473's I've EVER filled out were on 3 different occasions for a stripped AR lower. I currently own 2 of the 3. ALL of my guns were obtained legally.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There is a perception that the country music fan is typically a white, God-fearing conservative. It's not correct, but I can see how a seething leftist bent on mass murder might make this assumption. We don't know this *******'s motives yet, but it is certainly possible that this is a factor. It doesn't matter what your mom thinks. It only matters what the shooter thought.

[Citation Needed]

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/w...servatives-and-country-musics-complex-history

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

England, Australia, what certain current US politicians actually say and try to legislate. My friend, there is ample evidence that the path is on the map.

It doesn't necessarily lead to confiscation. Just makes it easier.

A whole bunch of ^^^.

Wait. I'm not sure you read everything that I said.

I said, "... they can find everyone who's purchased...." That may or may not be the current owner. That's where competent, well trained investigators (such as yourself) get sent to start the investigation.

I know a guy who, every time there's a fire drill, grabs his bag and runs down the stairs as if there's a real fire. He kinda has an irrational fear of being caught in a burning building.

Until you learn that his office 16 years ago was in NYC and he watched the planes hit the WTC.

I lived through the AWB. I never thought I'd live to see it sunset. I'd really like to not go back to that incrementalism, or anything like it.

ETA:
    Aw crap. I just saw the vague part. "Purchased" meant from an FFL, but I didn't say that. Sorry about that. Yes, it wouldn't count "purchased" from a private seller. Sincere apologies for that oversight on my part.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The government would never go outside the scope of law to punish or persecute political enemies.

Swear to God!

130522112606-lois-lerner-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Top Bottom