Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My mom listens to country because she likes the artists. Goes to concerts, too.

She hates guns, couldn't give less of a **** about politics.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    To what end? What will the politician do with the ATF records?

Incrementalism.

With the ATF records, they have a paper trail as to who owns what. A small shift (statistically) in political leadership and we could have a small step along the Australian Model gun ban. "We don't want your all guns, just the bad ones, like.... semi-auto .50 cal."

Reference to indexed, easy to use ATF records, and they can find everyone who's purchased semi-auto .50 cal. Send out the investigators and it becomes very easy.

Now, can they do that with the current system, yeah- sorta, but the budgeting for resources makes it impractical. And that's ok with me.

Yes, there is a hard tradeoff when you and your colleagues are working hard to solve crimes. It takes longer. They are looking for a single needle in a massive room full of needles. Just IMHO, that's an ok tradeoff, but I can see how reasonable people could disagree on the matter.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If I understand correctly, the anti-gun argument is that things would have been so much better if the guy that was also a private pilot that owned two aircraft had been forced to pick a different method of attacking the densely packed crowd at the concert being held next to an airport.

Wow, true.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    To what end? What will the politician do with the ATF records?

If we are talking about a computerization of ATF records of Firearms purchases, it seems to me that that is very close to a registration. Some people would think that makes it easier to confiscate firearms.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I didn't believe the brother's extemporaneous biography of his brother. Now having a few more facts from the investigation, the brother is more obviously a freaking liar. He knows a lot more than he is telling. You don't collect firearms over all of those years and not discuss firearms and politics associated therewith with a sibling while on the other hand brag about your gambling winnings. The brother is hiding more than he's said.

I think I agree with this.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I won't be surprised when we find out he had no full auto weapons.

From a report on the radio this morning, he used 7.62 and .223 rifles (according to said news report, "both known to be capable of penetrating police body armor") with "modified bump stocks to imitate full auto fire."

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My mom listens to country because she likes the artists. Goes to concerts, too.

She hates guns, couldn't give less of a **** about politics.

There is a perception that the country music fan is typically a white, God-fearing conservative. It's not correct, but I can see how a seething leftist bent on mass murder might make this assumption. We don't know this *******'s motives yet, but it is certainly possible that this is a factor. It doesn't matter what your mom thinks. It only matters what the shooter thought.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seeing a lot on the "right" calling for a ban on bump-stocks as a reasonable measure.

Looks like they might win something out of this after all.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seeing a lot on the "right" calling for a ban on bump-stocks as a reasonable measure.

I continue to have no interest in them, but am VERY concerned about that level of incrementalism. Literally, the same effect can be had without paying $100 or whatever.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

It's a response to the "we have to do something" crowd.

Offer up low-hanging fruit in hopes of staving off the coming harvest.

Too many of the possible outcomes involve me losing liberty to some extent. I'll willingly give up some of my liberty if I honestly believe it is the only way to better living conditions for all others, but "it makes me feel better" falls well short of that mark in my book.

Top Bottom