Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of rich narcissists, I'm reading the Steve Wynn interview on Sunday with Chris Wallace (RCP has the transcript).

Couple things jump out:
    1) Wynn properties are GFZs. Did not know that.
    2) He let slip something random about service elevators. I suspect that he knows inside information that shooter was able to get someone to let him use the service elevator to bring up his bags or something.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One of the things, I found incredibly indicative of far "thinking outside the box" has become, was watching the new reports this morning. An "expert," was talking about the "note," and how it was essentially calculations for trajectory, distance, velocity, and windspeed to assist the shooter. He then said that because LE have not found any such calculation searches, by the shooter, on the internet, that they obviously haven't finished their search, and then he doubled down saying that there must be an internet "trail" of him seeking that information. My first thought was....uh library?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One of the things, I found incredibly indicative of far "thinking outside the box" has become, was watching the new reports this morning. An "expert," was talking about the "note," and how it was essentially calculations for trajectory, distance, velocity, and windspeed to assist the shooter. He then said that because LE have not found any such calculation searches, by the shooter, on the internet, that they obviously haven't finished their search, and then he doubled down saying that there must be an internet "trail" of him seeking that information. My first thought was....uh library?
    Or Strelok.

I heard a bip about there being a "charger" in the room that wasn't for his phone. With all the USB dongle-things that are a part of modern life (Fitbit, the cameras, bluetooth speakers, etc.) that REALLY doesn't seem surprising to me.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Speaking of rich narcissists, I'm reading the Steve Wynn interview on Sunday with Chris Wallace (RCP has the transcript).

Couple things jump out:
    1) Wynn properties are GFZs. Did not know that.
    2) He let slip something random about service elevators. I suspect that he knows inside information that shooter was able to get someone to let him use the service elevator to bring up his bags or something.

I was in and out of this property back in April and I did not see any signage.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was in and out of this property back in April and I did not see any signage.
    Historically, he's not above puffery. So, I'm not sure if it is a "current GFZ" situation or all-the-time. He also discussed various hocus pocus hidden magnetometers and such. Whatever it takes to get more people into his properties than his competitors.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Historically, he's not above puffery. So, I'm not sure if it is a "current GFZ" situation or all-the-time. He also discussed various hocus pocus hidden magnetometers and such. Whatever it takes to get more people into his properties than his competitors.

I carried into the aquarium and lounge on two different occasions without incident.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I can't help but wonder if this guy killed previously without thus far being connected to any other event(s). With what's being revealed it would appear his disconnect from society happened well before last Sunday.

Quite possible, but hard to know.

One part of the media narrative that he "amassed his arsenal over a period of 2-3 decades" obscures (perhaps purposefully) the fact that he accumulated most if not all of the semi-auto rifles he used in the atrocity in the 12 months previous. I've yet to see any information when he acquired his FIRST AR and FIRST bump-stock, though I did see a report that 33 (of 47 found in various places) firearms he acquired in the previous 12 months consisted of "mostly rifles".

IMO, when he acquired his first AR/bumpstock combo, he likely had the germ of a plan for a terror attack in his head. (pure speculation, admittedly)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Or Strelok.

I heard a bip about there being a "charger" in the room that wasn't for his phone. With all the USB dongle-things that are a part of modern life (Fitbit, the cameras, bluetooth speakers, etc.) that REALLY doesn't seem surprising to me.

I would hope that he didn't decide to learn how to do everything right then and there. I think it's most likely that he had one of his hookers in the room. And she probably doesn't want to be found.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

Agreed... people talking out the alternate orifice.

(In the vein of "you might be a redneck":)

If you don't know you can research stuff on the internet at the library, you might be an out-of-touch-with-normal-people elitist.

Well, I'm the exception to the rule. I'm not poor.

I'd like to think I'm an exception to BOTH (or all three?) rules. :):

Sorry, had to, softball tee'd up and all.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

There are many ballistics calculators on line that take shooting angle into account. Bullet trajectory is not all that difficult, given the size of the target, knowing the height of the shot(32 floors) and approximate distance to the venue (which he could have walked off). Even simpler would be to use the cosign calculators that most ballistic instructions include in any reference book. Here is the first article that came up in a google search:

Bullet Trajectory: Shooting Downhill and Uphill - RifleShooter

He could have gotten this info from a throwaway phone, an internet cafe, whatever. Once the number is known for that particular firing position, it isn't going to change.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There are many ballistics calculators on line that take shooting angle into account. Bullet trajectory is not all that difficult, given the size of the target, knowing the height of the shot(32 floors) and approximate distance to the venue (which he could have walked off). Even simpler would be to use the cosign calculators that most ballistic instructions include in any reference book. Here is the first article that came up in a google search:

Bullet Trajectory: Shooting Downhill and Uphill - RifleShooter

He could have gotten this info from a throwaway phone, an internet cafe, whatever. Once the number is known for that particular firing position, it isn't going to change.

Or, he could have picked up a book. They say this guy wanted to prove how smart he was, and that he was good with numbers. Inputing figures in a pre-made calculator that solves the formulas for ya, doesn't seem like the route he'd go.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't know an engineer who carries all the formulas for their particular discipline in their head any more. But there isn't all that much you need for ballistics cosigns. The bullet drop from horizontal is often on cartridge boxes.

SOHCAHTOA is first semester trig in high school. Nothing mysterious about it.

My iphone has a built-in compass app. Included therein is a level. I can get a very good read on angle with it.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    SOHCAHTOA is first semester trig in high school. Nothing mysterious about it.
    That's totally exactly what I was going to say because I totally exactly remember getting it right on the test and I totally remember exactly what that is and how to use it.

Totally.

Exactly.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    That's totally exactly what I was going to say because I totally exactly remember getting it right on the test and I totally remember exactly what that is and how to use it.

Totally.

Exactly.

Well, you are too young to have carried a slide rule, methinks.

This guy was an accountant at some point, which means he probably at least had math through entry level calculus. It's a thing you remember if you were taught the Pythagorean theorem.

Sort of like knowing the Fine Structure Constant if you know who Richard Feynman was.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, you are too young to have carried a slide rule, methinks.
    haha

My dad had one from when he was doing math stuff associated with piloting stuff. So, I am from that transition generation: post-slide rules, pre-graphing calculators. Now, in my defense, my memory archiving was able to dig out the words associated with the acronym, so I have that going for me.

Applying it would be a whole different hour of frustration.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom