• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In an asymmetric war? The Army War College is interested in how to accomplish this. :)

Hard for me to talk about Iran without mentioning the total lack of a comprehensive, coherent foreign policy. [sigh]

I'm not opposed to engagement with Iran on a 'common enemy' type basis. Would potentially be a good source of intel. Plus, there's a Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra type dimension to it.

You have me totally lost on what direction Iraq was trending, unless you mean towards disintegration. In 1992 Iraq should have been split into 3 countries. In 2008, it should have been split. Now, it is splitting.

You lost me on who "they" are. Daesh competed successfully on the battlefield against trained military - Iraq, Syria, and I think Libya - and won. Not sure how to count the Kurds - maybe paramilitary?

Daesh's actions prove they are a regional threat. For now.

I said "professional," lol. The nations you mentioned have "soldiers" that barely qualify to have the label, and most given the turmoil in their nations, probably did more so to collect a paycheck, than civic duty.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I said "professional," lol. The nations you mentioned have "soldiers" that barely qualify to have the label, and most given the turmoil in their nations, probably did more so to collect a paycheck, than civic duty.

Then I'm even more confused by what you said. :)

Honestly, other than being a bunch of evil murderous sobs, what legitimate threat are they to middle eastern powers? They can't field a competent army against any professional force.

Which ME countries (other than Israel - I think we would get rare INGO unanimity on the professionalism of the IDF) do you consider having a professional force.

I'll spot you Iran. Mostly.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Daesh is actually a word for something about feet. Arabs use as an insult for the religious nut jobs.

INGO linkage:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1-i-wonder-right-isil-isis-2.html#post5630383

Just to additionally crosslink to a publication (which is secondary to the primary sources in your link):
    Words matter in ?ISIS? war, so use ?Daesh? - Opinion - The Boston Globe
    The term “Daesh” is strategically a better choice because it is still accurate in that it spells out the acronym of the group’s full Arabic name, al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Yet, at the same time, “Daesh” can also be understood as a play on words — and an insult. Depending on how it is conjugated in Arabic, it can mean anything from “to trample down and crush” to “a bigot who imposes his view on others.” Already, the group has reportedly threatened to cut out the tongues of anyone who uses the term.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just to additionally crosslink to a publication (which is secondary to the primary sources in your link):
    The term “Daesh” is strategically a better choice because it is still accurate in that it spells out the acronym of the group’s full Arabic name, al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Yet, at the same time, “Daesh” can also be understood as a play on words — and an insult. Depending on how it is conjugated in Arabic, it can mean anything from “to trample down and crush” to “a bigot who imposes his view on others.” Already, the group has reportedly threatened to cut out the tongues of anyone who uses the term.

Daesh can suck it. I typed it, does the tongue thing still apply or is it a finger???

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Daesh can suck it. I typed it, does the tongue thing still apply or is it a finger???
    asokndfn asoindao[A AONFAOLAkSND

I tried typing that with... uh... a different appendage. Sorry for the misspellings, it can be hard to handle sometimes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Isn't that just a variation of Biden's suggestion?

(Is that a Mossberg with a pistol grip? Who said those weren't practical....)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I think everyone needs to stop posting and watching these IS videos. In the same way that printing the name of spree killers gives them a thrill, these IS scum get a thrill seeing their view counts go up. Everyone should ignore their snuff films and not give them the satisfaction of watching innocent people being murdered.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While I commend the moral position, I do think Daesh doesn't give a rat's rear end whether people watch or not. Plus, "we" are not really their target audience.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just putting this here:
    White House Stalled ISIS Rescue. Foley, Sotloff, and Mueller Died. - The Daily Beast
    Then, in early June, London had a “positive identification and that information was shared with Washington,” said a British source. The delay of nearly a month before the rescue bid was mounted remains a source of bewilderment for British officials.
    But a U.S. official said that inside the White House, Obama’s senior national-security advisers were not willing to base a raid on intelligence developed by a foreign service. “The issue was that they didn’t trust it, and they wanted to develop and mature the intelligence, because it wasn’t our own,” said the U.S. official, who asked to remain anonymous when discussing sensitive hostage-rescue efforts.
    “They got the information. They just didn’t trust it. And they did sit on it, there’s no doubt about that,” the official said.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And another chapter unfolds... Coptic Christians taken prisoner by Daesh:
    BBC News - Egypt ready for Libya evacuations as IS hostage photos emerge
    Egypt has offered to evacuate its citizens from Libya after Islamic State (IS) released photos which it says show 21 Coptic Egyptians kidnapped there.
    A number of Egyptian Coptic Christians were kidnapped in two raids in Sirte, Libya, in December and January.
    The IS photographs show the captives with their hands cuffed behind their backs being marched in single file, lead by masked men dressed entirely in black.
    The hostages are dressed in bright orange jumpsuits - the type worn by captives about to be executed by IS.

The militant group said the Egyptians had been recently kidnapped to avenge the fate of Muslim women "tortured and murdered by the Coptic church of Egypt".
    The magazine says the group's expansion into Libya allows it "to easily capture Coptic crusaders".

More on Coptic Christians:
    Copts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Copts are one of the oldest Christian communities in the Middle East. Although integrated in the larger Egyptian nation, the Copts have survived as a distinct religious community forming around 10–20% of the population....

Top Bottom