• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dont feel ashamed for watching it. Of course, it'll never be forgotten. But, I think we should all, to the best of our ability, understand who is trying to murder us. One day one or more of us could be face to face with them.

Is ISIS trying to murder us?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's send in a couple USMC divisions with a total media blackout with ZERO rules of engagement.... ISIS won't know what hit them.

I wish someone would articulate "why" it's up to our boys (and girls) to confront ISIS? They aren't a threat to us, and never will be. I can see supporting those opposed to them, but the lead should be taken by those who have the most to lose.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can see supporting those opposed to them, but the lead should be taken by those who have the most to lose.
    First, accepting your assertion for the purposes of argument that the US has little to lose, why shouldn't the lead be taken by those that have the most ability to be effective?

(Which may or may not be the Russians.)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Is ISIS trying to murder us?

You're 100% right man. They don't want to kill Americans at any chance the get.

th

Oh, let's revise that to 99% right......

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First, accepting your assertion for the purposes of argument that the US has little to lose, why shouldn't the lead be taken by those that have the most ability to be effective?

(Which may or may not be the Russians.)

We're the most effective at damn near everything, but I don't think being more capable is compelling enough of a reason to lead an action when our allies are reluctant to do so themselves.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We have allies fighting Daesh. Do we not have enough to justify taking the lead? How many more do we need? You would be more comfortable with foreign allies leading USian troops?

Just trying to figure out the contours of your position.

Who lead WWII? Depending on who you ask, you get different answers. (Particularly the Russians.)

Daesh is opportunistic. They DO want to murder any USian that they can. Right now, the don't have the capability to reach out and touch very many USians. So, they take what they can get, when they can get it. If they get enough resources, is there any doubt that they will try harder?

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Here you go, a chance to learn exactly who ISIS is.

When I opened the Lafayette Journal and Courier yesterday I found a notice that a panel discussion is being held at Purdue
    Wed. Feb 11 in the Memorial Union Ballroom at 7:30 PM.

Panelists are: Scott Alexander, Rafia Zakaria and, Ahmed Mahmoud Rehab.

"Alexander is on the board of The Journal of Islamic Law and Culture."

"Zkaria is an author, an attorney, and political philosopher."

"Rehab is Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    We have allies fighting Daesh. Do we not have enough to justify taking the lead? How many more do we need? You would be more comfortable with foreign allies leading USian troops?

Just trying to figure out the contours of your position.

Who lead WWII? Depending on who you ask, you get different answers. (Particularly the Russians.)

Daesh is opportunistic. They DO want to murder any USian that they can. Right now, the don't have the capability to reach out and touch very many USians. So, they take what they can get, when they can get it. If they get enough resources, is there any doubt that they will try harder?

It's not our responsibility to take the lead. I have no issue with helping, but the mechanisms are in place for the "locals" to handle ISIS. Jordan is a prime example of this. They have a relatively impoverished populace, but they've "stepped up." And look at the reasonings they decided to be more active; not because they were under imminent threat (in fact they were talking about leaving the coalition), but because ISIS embarrassed them with their version of LeBron James' "Decision" fiasco. Apparently being "punk'd" in front of the entire world didn't sit all that well with the Jordanians.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's not our responsibility to take the lead. I have no issue with helping, but the mechanisms are in place for the "locals" to handle ISIS.

Well, a couple things. It may not be our responsibility, but most Murricans feel better with US troops under US leadership. Heck, I remember when various UN contingents were under the authority of funny-talking foreigners and it was a big deal.

Second, I haven't taken a close look at the local allies' Orders of Battle, but unless we want Iran to take a huge role, I don't think any of those countries have the ability to put enough boots on the ground to fix this.

In other Daesh news:
    The ISIS Beheadings You Won't Hear About
    ISIS released a video on Saturday showing militants beheading three Arabic-speaking prisoners. Called “Harvest of the Apostates,” the high-quality clip features common characteristics of [Daesh] propaganda: interviews with the hostages, up-close shots of their faces, complete subtitles, animated graphics and gruesome, unflinching footage of three men being beheaded with bowie knives.
    These victims are Muslims who worked for the army of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in a battle on the Tabqa air base near the Syrian city of Raqqa. It was carefully shot, for sure, but [Daesh] knew the men wouldn’t get any play in the Western press, so it was crafted solely for an Arabic-speaking audience.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BREAKING: American ISIS Hostage Kayla Mueller Is Dead, Family Says - NBC News

""We are heartbroken to share that we've received confirmation that Kayla Jean Mueller, has lost her life," Mueller's parents said in a statement. "Kayla was a compassionate and devoted humanitarian. She dedicated the whole of her young life to helping those in need of freedom, justice, and peace."

Also reading that this is the "last American hostage" that they had?

In the evergreen words of our President: Get off your high horse and don't judge lone-wolves that randomly kill some folks because of the crusades in an act of workplace violence

Edit: Yeah, she was the only known remaining US hostage:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/565169466125086720

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, a couple things. It may not be our responsibility, but most Murricans feel better with US troops under US leadership. Heck, I remember when various UN contingents were under the authority of funny-talking foreigners and it was a big deal.

Second, I haven't taken a close look at the local allies' Orders of Battle, but unless we want Iran to take a huge role, I don't think any of those countries have the ability to put enough boots on the ground to fix this.

In other Daesh news:
    The ISIS Beheadings You Won't Hear About

"Helping" certainly doesn't involve US troops and equipment under foreign control. I think our help should be capped at logistics and support roles. And, to be honest why should we care if Iran takes a major role? Wasn't Iraq trending that way before ISIS started this business? Honestly, other than being a bunch of evil murderous sobs, what legitimate threat are they to middle eastern powers? They can't field a competent army against any professional force.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "Helping" certainly doesn't involve US troops and equipment under foreign control. I think our help should be capped at logistics and support roles.
    In an asymmetric war? The Army War College is interested in how to accomplish this. :)

And, to be honest why should we care if Iran takes a major role? Wasn't Iraq trending that way before ISIS started this business?
    Hard for me to talk about Iran without mentioning the total lack of a comprehensive, coherent foreign policy. [sigh]

I'm not opposed to engagement with Iran on a 'common enemy' type basis. Would potentially be a good source of intel. Plus, there's a Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra type dimension to it.

You have me totally lost on what direction Iraq was trending, unless you mean towards disintegration. In 1992 Iraq should have been split into 3 countries. In 2008, it should have been split. Now, it is splitting.

Honestly, other than being a bunch of evil murderous sobs, what legitimate threat are they to middle eastern powers? They can't field a competent army against any professional force.
    You lost me on who "they" are. Daesh competed successfully on the battlefield against trained military - Iraq, Syria, and I think Libya - and won. Not sure how to count the Kurds - maybe paramilitary?

Daesh's actions prove they are a regional threat. For now.

Top Bottom