• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The students get REALLY nervous when told to get into a single-file line....

At recess they play _________ and ___________.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wait. Why aren't they a state? I keep seeing maps with boundaries that they control. They defend those borders. They make and enforce the laws for the areas they control.

They appear to be doing all the things that states do.

They are a state in a practical sense, acting as an organized political authority within their declared borders. Heck, they're even issuing parking tickets.

However, the international community does not recognize their borders or their authority to rule, nor should they recognize it. I don't have a problem with the press and administration not recognizing their statehood. However, I see a big problem with the administration not recognizing their armed forces as an army. He speaks of them as one would speak of a band of thugs. This band of thugs is 30K+ strong well equipped and trained soldiers.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If he recognized them as an army, he would have to say this is a war instead of counter-terrorism. Then he wouldn't even have a fig leaf to cover the fact that he had copied Bush's "preemptive war" strategy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If he recognized them as an army, he would have to say this is a war instead of counter-terrorism. Then he wouldn't even have a fig leaf to cover the fact that he had copied Bush's "preemptive war" strategy.

Well, reality being what it is...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Couple things.

IMHO (and historically) "official" international recognition is probably one of the least compelling components of "statehood." Someone is buying oil from them, bringing consumer products to them, etc.

Which does lead to the other issue. As jamil points out - reality is important. This artificial rubric of statehood as a precondition for war was never really true and is even less important in the modern era of international terrorism.

I believe the president as CINC does have authority to order troops into hot spots for limited periods of deployment without congressional oversight. I also believe that our constitutional system does require a congressional mandate - however it is captioned - for sustained deployments. I'm not sure the War Powers Act is constitutional, but it does provide a relatively straightforward approach for how to define the difference.

Having said all that, this whole idea of air-power-only smacks of "bomb them into the stone age" but with LGBs/JDAMs instead of carpet bombing. Do the same thing, expect the same result.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Some Americans are racist. Racist Americans sometimes do bad things.

Not all Americans are racist. Doesn't mean the non-racist Americans deserve blame for the bad things racist Americans do.

That's why I tend to use the term "islamofascists." The radicals tend to be more about power - fascism - than religion. That's just the leverage point they use.

I agree.

However, if a large number of racist Americans banded together and formed a group called "Racists of America", we might be safe in assuming they really are racists. Of course not all Americans are members of "Racists of America", but the ones that are, are pretty much all racists.

Similarly, not all terrorists are Muslim. But the terrorists in the Islamic State ARE all Muslims.

Further, I think it is pretty clear that the terrorists in the IS openly and most emphatically cite their religion as the reason behind their actions. Muslims from all over the world have come to join them in their cause. And the reason these Muslims have come from the US, UK, Belgium, Chechnya, etal, is not because they want to gain power, but because they want to follow their religion. Perhaps the leaders of the organization have the acquisition of power as their primary motivator. But the rank and file who are doing the killing and oppression are obviously motivated by religious fervor.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @88GT
    Arg. Don't get me started on priorities.

But, I guess it is about building coalitions. I mean, there's one group that's angry about the beheadings, mass murders, and violence, then there is (apparently) a different group that is mainly concerned about educational curriculum. If this administration can get both groups to agree on what to do, then they are way ahead of the game.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    @88GT
    Arg. Don't get me started on priorities.

But, I guess it is about building coalitions. I mean, there's one group that's angry about the beheadings, mass murders, and violence, then there is (apparently) a different group that is mainly concerned about educational curriculum. If this administration can get both groups to agree on what to do, then they are way ahead of the game.
    Well, there's that. The educational issues don't even make my list in the scheme of things when the big picture is considered.

But I was generally referring to just within the educational choices ISIS is making. Seems a bit bass ackwards to worry that evolution isn't being taught when there are other far more dangerous and anti-liberty forming the core of the curriculum. Ironically, the fact that the education will largely be theocratic in nature, I wonder why that particular detail didn't raise the eyebrows. I guess it's only bad when it's _______________ that's the basis for an education.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of all the things to be concerned with what ISIS is mandating about the curriculum and evolution is high on the list of concerns?

It was just a hidden jab at a forbidden target. He's gotta get his quota notwithstanding the crackdown.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It was just a hidden jab at a forbidden target. He's gotta get his quota notwithstanding the crackdown.
    No, not really. It just seems illogical to be concerned that Darwin's On the Origin of Species isn't going to be on the textbook list when the students will likely to be fed complete BS about the world in general and the great enemies of America and Western Europe in particular.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Evolution is not the only thing they are forbidding the teaching of, as the article says. They are setting the schools up to brainwash kids into their organisation and outlook and that's why some of the parents aren't sending their kids to the schools.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait - is this about Common Core again?

(I keed, I keed.)

The winner writes the history books, right? And the biology, and the chemistry, and the social studies books. So far, ISIS won the authority to teach whatever they want in the schools.

Just seems like this is one of their more petty sins.

Top Bottom