A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kentuckypilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    My grandson talked me into buying a glock 22, but I never carry it or shoot it. I would rather stay with my s&w 3rd gens. 3913, 3914 469 and 915 are my favorites.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does it have sights and a trigger?
    Are parts, accessories and magazines available and inexpensive enough that I can keep plenty on hand for training?
    Is it chambered for a cartridge that is suitable for self-defense, available in large quantities for practice and training, and I can afford to shoot?
    Does it reliably go bang when I operate the trigger?

After these criteria are satisfied I move on to more important considerations:
    Do I know how to decide when to employ it?
    Do I know how to access my firearm when I need it?
    Do I know how to employ it effectively without increasing risk to myself and those in the area?
    Do I know what to do after I employ it?

The top group of criteria are easy to satisfy with most modern, center fire pistols. The bottom group of considerations require much more of my time and focus.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    3rd gen 9mm Glock means you have probably the most reliable 9mm pistol known yet to human history.

But it's still ugly;)

Next to the CZ 75 you mean. Everyone always forgets the CZs. :dunno: Plus, a CZ is nice enough looking that it makes you less likely to make you want to drag it around behind your truck or bury it.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    If the Glock 19 was so awesome, then why did you need to add a pile of BS to make it "right" for you?

Because it wasn't as awesome as you wanted it to be.

Glocks are great and all, but they are bare bones pistols. If you need to have a bunch of crap on your gun, then you are not a Glock guy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If the Glock 19 was so awesome, then why did you need to add a pile of BS to make it "right" for you?

Glocks are great and all, but they are bare bones pistols. If you need to have a bunch of crap on your gun, then you are not a Glock guy.

I am definitely not a 'Glock Guy'. I carry a Glock 23 or 27 every day and a Glock 20sf does nightstand duty each night. I just bought a Glock 19, and am considering a Glock 30S, but I am not a Glock guy. All have '-' connectors, aftermarket sights and Talon grips, which means I am not a Glock guy. I like them and trust them, but if a buddy calls and says 'Range trip!', it will be either a CZ or 1911 that goes with me. I keep telling myself that 'I am not a Glock guy'.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

What pile of crap are you talking about?

If you're talking about mods esrice did to his old Glock 19, they were not crap. He's one of the few members of this site that believes in Keeping It Simple, and training is a better investment than improving ones gun collection.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The Glock 19 IS awesome. I haven't done ANYTHING to mine except add night sights. The glock 26 is ALMOST as awesome, I just like the 19 better.

M&P's might be awesome as well, I don't know as I've never shot one.

Whichever one you decide to shoot it to your point of failure, and then figure out if it's you or something with the gun.

I don't see the comments regarding trigger mods to be anything but shooter preference (as a BUNCH of people have apex parts in their M&P's/ghost's in their glock).

I rock the stock connector in my glock, and don't know if I'd like a lighter weight one. I've shot mine enough that I have a significant amount of muscle memory for trigger reset, and if it gets lighter I may have a ND on a trigger reset. I also dry fire the **** out of my handguns to help aid in trigger and sight picture control.

That said, I've been eyeballing an M&P, but I just don't want to drop 500 bucks on another gun when I have one I'm perfectly capable with, without modding anything.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah that's the one I was offered but had to turn down. Lucky me had an unexpected expense pop up to drain my gun fund. It's a great deal from an impeccable seller.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Yeah that's the one I was offered but had to turn down. Lucky me had an unexpected expense pop up to drain my gun fund. It's a great deal from an impeccable seller.

It happened to me when we moved last month man, it happens to us all sadly. Fun money can be real money quickly. Good luck, there's are plenty of M&Ps out there when you're ready again! :)

firefighter4884

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Evansville
    Is anyone, by chance, located close to Evansville that would let me borrow an M&P 9 for a range session? Or meet me at the range and let me shoot theirs extensively. I love the way the M&P feels in my hand, but I'm not committed to making the switch from Glock until after I've had a chance to shoot one.

I would be much obliged if someone could help me out.

Top Bottom