A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Would my old G19 have fired out of battery? I dunno, but it never did while I owned it. I also never had to utilize Glock's CS, so I can't comment on that either.

But to your direct question, the things that caused me to switch initially like the grip size, capacity, etc have not changed.

It's difficult to say how I'd feel in your situation. This thread was very influential in my decision to switch from Glock to M&P, and almost a year and 10k rounds later, I am still pleased with that decision. With that said, obviously I have not had a catastrophic failure followed by a ****ty customer service experience. While I'm sure it's enough to shake your faith, I don't think it is a common enough occurrence to abandon the platform.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Since ESRICE is already invested in the M&P platform he should stick with it. My advice would be to add another pistol in case his primary fails again in the future. Maybe both a full size and a compact?

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    I spent months agonizing over what pistol to buy. I heavily researched current offerings from Glock, Sig, XD, and the M&P. In the end for alot of the same reasons stated in this thread I finally went and bought a M&P 9 with an extra factory threaded barrel. Even after seeing your failure I have no regrets. Any make of gun can and will fail. I say stick with another M&P.

explodedview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2013
    S.E. Michigan
    That is an outstanding review/write up about two awesome designs. I personally take every new or used pistol that I acquire and shoot them side by side with my Glock 19. I have yet to do this with an M&P. I personally have found that a superior feeling ergonomic "IMO" grip like the HKP30 or Walther PPQ/99, doesn't mean a more accurate shot. I guess it comes down to training and practice but this is my personal experience.

This is my second post on this site and I'm just babbling. Thanks for reading. I like the word "personal"

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's difficult to say how I'd feel in your situation. This thread was very influential in my decision to switch from Glock to M&P, and almost a year and 10k rounds later, I am still pleased with that decision. With that said, obviously I have not had a catastrophic failure followed by a ****ty customer service experience. While I'm sure it's enough to shake your faith, I don't think it is a common enough occurrence to abandon the platform.

Since ESRICE is already invested in the M&P platform he should stick with it. My advice would be to add another pistol in case his primary fails again in the future. Maybe both a full size and a compact?

This. I'm no Glock cult member, but I do like them a lot. However, I have to agree with the above sentiments. I highly doubt that lightning would strike twice, and if the M&P was rocking and rolling up to the moment before the KB, there's no reason to think a new one wouldn't similarly perform well.

The crappy Customer service, that's something to factor in. I personally will risk a company's poor CS rep if they also have a rep for quality, meaning I'm very unlikely to need the CS. But if there is a problem, I expect it be remedied-- just like anyone else would.

I suppose ESRICE's shoes I'd probably start from scratch at selecting a gun. Maybe I'd give the PPQ a shot at the crown, throw in a Gen 4 G34/17 again, and start the hunt again from scratch.

You might very well end up back with the M&P again. But it wouldn't be because you were being an M&P sheep, nor because you weren't going into it with your eyes wide open about the possibility of problems and poor CS.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In 9mm, a Glock KB is *exceedingly* rare.

As is a 9mm M&P KB. I think the point is with any well used mechanical device, failures can happen. I am not convinced the M&P is any more prone to failure than a 9mm Glock (and it is likely less prone than a .40 Glock). The way Smith handled it does leave a bad taste, but I don't think thats enough to abandon the platform. Many people swear by H&K and they have some of the worst customer service in the industry.

Edit: looks like Hohn pretty much made my point before I could finish typing. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    While I'm sure it's enough to shake your faith, I don't think it is a common enough occurrence to abandon the platform.

I agree. But I had to stir the pot a bit. ;)

As has already been said, I don't feel as though my experience is typical of the M&P line of pistols. I think firearm reliability can sometimes be over-emphasized to the point that no mechanical device would pass muster (or perhaps it would if it was never actually fired). Push stuff hard enough and it fails. That doesn't automatically mean it should be abandoned. It just means we should understand where the failure points are.

I'll stick with M&P.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I assume you have a loaner from one of your fanboi's? If not and you will lower yourself to a Glock let me know. I would hate to see you unarmed.

Don't feel bad he turned me down also. I suppose I should have upped the ante by offering my 1911. Nobody can refuse a 1911.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok Daddy Warbucks. :laugh:

But yes, great lesson.

Eh, I try and buy them when I don't need them at a good price and have a few extra bucks, as opposed to at whatever the market rate is when I do need one, and invariably will be broke.

That said, my own gun fund is a bit tapped out for a bit currently as well. Darn kids and all their school/sports fees.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My advice would be to add another pistol in case his primary fails
    I had that realization when I found myself putting literally 1000 rounds per month through my carry gun between gun games and range time.

Bam!

407393726.jpg

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Gun manufacturers are making record profits. Gun prices have went nothing but up the last few years. Gun sales are in the millions of units for every gun manufacturer. It seems to me that to replace a gun that KB'd would be very good customer service that would make the customer a lifelong buyer. I think the way S&W treated you makes no sense to me. A new M&P sells for $550, probably costs $400 to produce. Seems like $400 to avoid being bashed on the internet is money well spent. S&W really made a bad decision on not replacing this gun for you, I hope they realize that decision affects future purchasers that may read this thread before buying.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom