A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Sorry to hear S&W is giving you the shaft; I'd have expected better, based on my experiences with them.

The Glock community eagerly awaits your return. :D

In all seriousness, $419.00 is below wholesale on a new M&P, so not a bad deal should you choose to take them up on it. The fact they're offering to do even *that* for you says to me they are accepting *some* degree of responsibility...

I agree, come on back over to the Glock family, we miss you. :):
    I'd like to think one need not have a large audience to merit good customer service.

I agree with this also, whether they have 100 customers or 100 million it shouldn't make any difference to the customer service.

I wonder if the upgrade (trigger, sights, etc.) had anything to do with their decision? Will manufacturers refuse to accept liability when these kinds of upgrades are performed? I read a post where one member wanted to have some warrantee work done and he was looking for original sights to install before he sent it in. If so, is this common with all manufacturers or just S&W?

And I think you may be right Que. When I worked at a Chevrolet dealership years ago we weren't allowed to work on most vehicles that were modified from stock in a serious fashion. Although aftermarket wheels, exhaust, things of that nature were ok. Guess it's up to the company on what is allowed. :dunno:

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I feel the same way as you. I love my glock 22, I've also has grip reduction and slide coating done( along with many other upgrades). But I fell in love with the M&P the first time I held one.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I wonder if the upgrade (trigger, sights, etc.) had anything to do with their decision? Will manufacturers refuse to accept liability when these kinds of upgrades are performed? I read a post where one member wanted to have some warrantee work done and he was looking for original sights to install before he sent it in. If so, is this common with all manufacturers or just S&W?

They can't refuse warranty because of upgraded parts. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act makes that illegal. They would have to prove that the replacement part was the cause of the failure to deny warranty.

I learned about this in reference to car modifications.

That doesn't mean they can't TRY to blame it on your parts of course.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Magnuson

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That is really harsh. They refuse to fix a non-working item and then offer to sell you a new one at a reduced price. That sucks! I really like my M&Ps, not as much as my Glocks, and S&W took great care of me on the times I have had to send my M&P in so I am very surprised to hear about them making that type of call on your gun.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    They can't refuse warranty because of upgraded parts. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act makes that illegal. They would have to prove that the replacement part was the cause of the failure to deny warranty.

I learned about this in reference to car modifications.

That doesn't mean they can't TRY to blame it on your parts of course.

Magnuson

While you are technically correct about M/M (I'm familiar with it from my diesel hotrodding days), the reality is that you'd have to hire a lawyer and go after them in order for it to have any teeth. They know that no one is going to hire a lawyer that charges over a hundred bucks an hour to resolve an issue on a $500 gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry to hear S&W is giving you the shaft; I'd have expected better, based on my experiences with them.

The Glock community eagerly awaits your return. :D

In all seriousness, $419.00 is below wholesale on a new M&P, so not a bad deal should you choose to take them up on it. The fact they're offering to do even *that* for you says to me they are accepting *some* degree of responsibility...

I think I recall reading here or maybe on the Smith Forum that someone there had a similar issue and they requested that the gun be returned after Smith originally declined to cover it fully, but offered a reduced price replacement. Smith offered to cut the replacement cost even further. I'll need to see if I can find that thread.

Here it is..

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...6035-my-shield-went-boom-3.html#post137142027

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Why is everyone surprised that they refuse to replace or repair a gun that was harmed by an overcharged round?

That isn't their fault.

Am I missing something?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    its no surprise that they won't warranty it after he admitted to shooting reloads after the manual specifically states not to use reloads in it.

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It is possible for Glock's and M&P's to live happy together, been happening at my house for a good while now. :): I'm curious to hear what S&W's finding's were, firing out of battery doesn't happen very often to my knowledge.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    what me worry

I read this thread every week, Im still on the fence.:D
    grabbed Indy Jack's M&p and fell in loooove, Im going to try this new magwell extension for the G19 and go from there.
    As far as in S&W customer service, I damaged a 22a target pistol barrel, tore a chunk in the rifiling and they sent me a brand new one within 3 weeks, and it was my fault!!
    so far, I still trust in S&W based on my experience.

Top Bottom