A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

This is getting rediculous. Partly my fault, partly S&W's.

The letter I received that told me they wouldn't warranty the gun had a name and number for a rep I could call to discuss the matter. I called but it went straight to voicemail. Called 5 minutes later and got the same thing. I tried again the next day and the same thing happened-- so this time I left a voicemail telling her who I was, the serial # of my pistol, and what information I was seeking. A week later I received a return call while I was at work. She left me a voicemail explaining that she had been on vacation. She didn't leave me any additional information or answer my original questions.

When I called her back the next day it rang until it went to her voicemail. I left another message, explaining that my current work schedule has me at work during the same hours she is, and that she could reach me via email for a more thorough response. She never emailed me.

Instead I got yet another voicemail from her telling me that not only were they not gonna replace my gun, but that if I took their "deal" they wouldn't be sending my gun back to me-- not even my slide, or trigger parts, or night sights. :dunno:

When I called her back to tell her to send my gun back, I got her voicemail. So I left her a message and told her that I wanted my property back, and that I'd find another gun somewhere else.

I'll also point out that at no time did I EVER receive answers to my original questions regarding what their tests found, what they think happened, if there was any other damage besides the cracked frame, etc.

So at this point I'm not impressed in the slightest with S&W's customer support efforts. I considered talking to someone else there to see if I could get more answers but frankly I'm tired of the runaround.

I'll feel better once my pistol is returned. Then I'll start the search for another M&P9. I'll also have the added benefit of having an extra slide if and when I decide to RMR my gun.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That is not what I would expect from S&W. I would call their regular CS number and explain the situation and the runaround you've received. Tell them you want to speak to someone directly in regards what caused the malfunction. It may require multiple uses of the phrase "this is UNACCEPTABLE, let me speak to your supervisor".

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great writeup. I never liked the finger grooves on any of my Glocks but when I tried a Gen 2 without them, I found that my grip is actually better with the ill fitting grooves.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wow, that sounds like an EPIC fail to me. Hopefully you get your pistol back and maybe some answers! My wife's M&P 9 is still going strong, we've only fired factory ammo through it though. Not that it looks like that mattered in your case, my wife still loves it! I still love and carry my G19 daily. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

S&W has now returned my M&P. In the box there was a service order slip. In the description box it simply says "RB- detonation". Not sure what that means exactly. :dunno:

So I'm back to square one with a broken gun. Any extra $$ is tapped out right now with some family stuff, so I'll have to save up the old-fashioned way-- a little bit at a time.

Anyone think I should switch back to Glock? :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    UPDATE

S&W has now returned my M&P. In the box there was a service order slip. In the description box it simply says "RB- detonation". Not sure what that means exactly. :dunno:

So I'm back to square one with a broken gun. Any extra $$ is tapped out right now with some family stuff, so I'll have to save up the old-fashioned way-- a little bit at a time.

Really Bad Detonation?

And go back to a Glock 19. You'll feel better.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Maybe.

He'll need to bring cookies first.

Cookies are good, but I think we should make him bring the drinks :koolaid:

I tried the M&P, admittedly I did not give it as much of an effort as Evan did, and did not even make the transition to carrying the M&P.

I like what Smith is doing with introducing new models, and listening to the community, but the simplicity of the Glocks, and being able to find magazines, and other parts/accessories, and many other things along with being accustomed to the trigger reset have kept me in the fold.

Come on back Evan... I hear AllenM has got some new toys in to allow him to do some polymer/plastic welding :popcorn:

Just put those M&P mags up for auction and you should be able to fund a new Glock from the proceeds.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    UPDATE

yes gen 4

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Have any of the factors that lead to the initial switch to M&P actually changed? Given the same scenario, do you think Glock customer service would have handled things differently?

Just put those M&P mags up for auction and you should be able to fund a new Glock from the proceeds.

Lol, that's probably true. :laugh:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Have any of the factors that lead to the initial switch to M&P actually changed? Given the same scenario, do you think Glock customer service would have handled things differently?

Would my old G19 have fired out of battery? I dunno, but it never did while I owned it. I also never had to utilize Glock's CS, so I can't comment on that either.

But to your direct question, the things that caused me to switch initially like the grip size, capacity, etc have not changed.

Should've bought a Hi-Point, they would've replaced your pistol no questions asked. :twocents:

:stickpoke:

Even if they didn't, I'd only have been out $150. :laugh:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have used Glock's customer service. My gen 3 g19 falls within the ejection trouble serial #'s and was ejecting hot brass onto my forehead. I sent it to them, they fired 150 rounds and said nothing was wrong, BUT I did notice there was work done to my extractor...looked like they sanded some of it.

The turnaround was 2 weeks, and I also had them put night sights on while they had it for $47+tax.

The only thing that turns me on to a M&P is that I could potentiallly shoot cast bullets out of the box and not need a new barrel. Now that I know they won't even cover an OOB fire on a reload, I think I'll stick with my g19 (which my stepdad has for his security gig) or my g26 (considering putting on XS big dots...)

I understand why you went with M&P Evan, I just would think that you might reconsider that all things considered ;)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I was re reading the first post and one of your major points was the reliability of the M&P. Based on the recent events with your M&P versus your Glock 19 experience of old what are your thoughts. I know plenty of people run their M&P's hard and they don't fail but this one did. Just curious I guess.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads