A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm just saying it is all well and good that they are trying to figure out what went wrong, but with all of the glowing reports on their customer service I thought they might fix you up first and then determine the problem. Backwards I know.:(

rlett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I went with the M&P in 9mm and didn't look back. My son uses the Glock 17 and loves it. I have to say both guns preform flawlessly.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

Got a letter in the mail from S&W finally. In so many words they declined to replace my M&P or my frame. They said their tests concluded that the malfunction was not due to "a defect in the workmanship or materials" of the gun. Of course they didn't say what DID happen, or what damage was done beyond the cracked frame.

So I'll be contacting them to find out those things and to figure out when they'll send my gun back.

They did offer to sell me a new one for $419.

Whether I buy from them or another used one, I think I'll keep my upper half in reserve to send out to be fitted with an RMR eventually.

Gotta say, not super impressed with S&W's customer service.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sorry to hear this Evan. I would have thought they would have repaired the gun. I am curious as to what they found.

If you like the platform $419 for a new gun is a pretty decent deal. I know it is $400 of unbudgeted funds and that sucks but if you weren't prepared to lose or break a gun you probably should not be carrying it around. At least the slide, sights, other parts might be able to be salvaged off the old gun.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Did you mention that there were 30k+ INGO'rs anxiously waiting to see how s&w handled the issue?

I can't believe they didn't even offer to replace the frame at cost. Should have got a High Point, I hear their CS is top notch!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Wow. That's pretty hard to believe. I wonder if they are thinking it fired out of battery due to carbon build up in the striker channel? It definitely didn't look like a double charge Kaboom to me....

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    UPDATE

Got a letter in the mail from S&W finally. In so many words they declined to replace my M&P or my frame. They said their tests concluded that the malfunction was not due to "a defect in the workmanship or materials" of the gun. Of course they didn't say what DID happen, or what damage was done beyond the cracked frame.

So I'll be contacting them to find out those things and to figure out when they'll send my gun back.

They did offer to sell me a new one for $419.

Whether I buy from them or another used one, I think I'll keep my upper half in reserve to send out to be fitted with an RMR eventually.

Gotta say, not super impressed with S&W's customer service.

That pretty much blows, :noway:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Did you mention that there were 30k+ INGO'rs anxiously waiting to see how s&w handled the issue?

I can't believe they didn't even offer to replace the frame at cost. Should have got a High Point, I hear their CS is top notch!

THIS +1000...

Get the e-mail address of the person who was helping you out and feel free to send him/her the link to this thread.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'd heard that S&W warranties only covered original purchasers. So I've never bought a used one. But this report has me second guessing that decision. :(

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would definitely appeal that decision and want to know who made the decision to not cover the gun. There are a lot of us who own S&W and the M&P and I would like to know what played in the decision making process, just in case I find myself in the same predicament.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Did you buy it new or used? I can't remember at this moment! Just curious if that did make any difference with them, sometimes you can buy used but the warrenty card is still present. :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Sorry to hear S&W is giving you the shaft; I'd have expected better, based on my experiences with them.

The Glock community eagerly awaits your return. :D

In all seriousness, $419.00 is below wholesale on a new M&P, so not a bad deal should you choose to take them up on it. The fact they're offering to do even *that* for you says to me they are accepting *some* degree of responsibility...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

I'd like to think one need not have a large audience to merit good customer service.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wonder if the upgrade (trigger, sights, etc.) had anything to do with their decision? Will manufacturers refuse to accept liability when these kinds of upgrades are performed? I read a post where one member wanted to have some warrantee work done and he was looking for original sights to install before he sent it in. If so, is this common with all manufacturers or just S&W?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would venture to say that a manufacturer could use thd installation of non-factory parts as reason to refuse warranty work. Smith & Wesson and Glock right now are selling a lot of pistols, those models being 1&2 right now on the uber cool must have list. Really no need for them to bend over backwards to fix broken guns.

Top Bottom