A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Maybe, but that really doesn't look like the loads fault at all.

Well I asked him because I'd assume he has an owners manual or has done the research and can give more than a "maybe". Also, it is relevant of they ask. If you were using them and they know it they could automatically back out. It's easy. The previous round wasn't loaded enough to cycle the gun properly and left it out of battery.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are M&Ps one of the weapons using reloads in will void the warranty?

I have no idea. I've never had to make a warranty claim (for this gun or any others) so I guess I'll find out when I send it in.

The previous round wasn't loaded enough to cycle the gun properly and left it out of battery.

With the little that I have learned about "firing out of battery", that isn't how it works. At fault would be the fact that the gun shouldn't have been able to fire while still out of battery, regardless of the reason it wasn't in battery.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have no idea. I've never had to make a warranty claim (for this gun or any others) so I guess I'll find out when I send it in.

I wouldn't mention the reloads. Sounds like it fired out of battery which wouldn't have anything to do with reloads anyway.

From my M&P manual:
    406254542.jpg

406254570.jpg

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

If they ask specifically - I'd be honest with them.

But, like you said, IF this was an OOB failure, it wouldn't matter what kind of round it was. But, unfortunately, to the manufacturer, it will matter.

"Well, you see, sir, you've admittedly shot several hundred rounds of reloads through this pistol and there's no telling what kind of internal damage / wear & tear you've done on it. Therefore, your warranty claim is being denied. We will, however, "cut you a deal" on a new frame..."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Got another email today containing instructions for returning my M&P and a pre-paid pre-insured shipping label. So I'll be boxing everything up sometime later.

If they ask specifically - I'd be honest with them.

Oh absolutely. No need to lie. It is what it is and I'm fine with whatever they can do.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

So some considerable time has passed since I sent my gun to S&W and I hadn't heard anything from them, so I emailed them today asking for an update. Here's what they said:

S&W Customer Service said:
    Dear Customer,
    This presently in our Metallurgical Lab researching the cause and issue with gun.
    If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
    Sincerely,
    Michael DiFiore

Sounds science-y. :D

So I wait.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have put many rounds through a Glock .40, and a similarly sized S&W M&P .40, and I also came to the conclusion that the M&P pistol is far superior to the Glock. The recoil is less on the M&P, when shooting similarly sized pistols using the same ammo. The M&P was also more accurate, and felt much more natural in the hand.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    To each their own! I still prefer the Glock Compact-sized pistols...whereas my wife recently selected a Springfield XDm 9mm Compact (after she was convinced she wanted to get a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Compact)! The more I play with her XDm...the more impressed I am becoming with it! Hmmmmm...they make that in .45, right? (A: Yes...and now I want the XDs in .45acp!)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have put many rounds through a Glock .40, and a similarly sized S&W M&P .40, and I also came to the conclusion that the M&P pistol is far superior to the Glock. The recoil is less on the M&P, when shooting similarly sized pistols using the same ammo. The M&P was also more accurate, and felt much more natural in the hand.

Rule #1 on something 'brand new'...sooner or later, someone will come along and improve on the original concept / design!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    UPDATE

So some considerable time has passed since I sent my gun to S&W and I hadn't heard anything from them, so I emailed them today asking for an update. Here's what they said:

Sounds science-y. :D

So I wait.

Sounds like your M&P is a test mule! Maybe since they are spending considerable time on it you will get a free replacement. You don't hear about many M&P's breaking badly, although I think I remmeber Hickok45's first M&P he used ending up witha cracked slide. They replaced it and he didn't have any more problems IIRC. My wifes M&P 9 is sill running strong, great pistol! Good luck. :yesway:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

With the little that I have learned about "firing out of battery", that isn't how it works. At fault would be the fact that the gun shouldn't have been able to fire while still out of battery, regardless of the reason it wasn't in battery.

If I think about what might cause a FOOB, recoil spring is a potential nominee. If you bought it used and the factory spring is fatigued, it may not have enough "oomph" to reliably "close the breech" so to speak. You get a weak-ish round with a weak spring and maybe the slide closing velocity is too low?

If the spring is fine, the maybe a mechanical impediment on the rails is keeping the slide from easily going all the way forward.

Was there any sign of barrel obstruction? Leading? I'm assuming from your report that the round actual went downrange as part of this kb.

Yeah, it's just spitballing, but I'd really like to learn about how this kind of thing comes about.

Failure is a far greater learning opportunity than success is.

Top Bottom