A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    what is your legal reasoning?

Im just curious. Im know Bradis is more than capable, but how does them doing it vs. you doing it hold anyone more or less legally liable?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    what is your legal reasoning?

While I realize that nothing is certain in the world of law, I'd prefer to have something potentially controversial, like internal parts replacement on a defensive firearm, done by a qualified gunsmith or certified armorer. Its not much, but it gets me one more layer away from "You worked this trigger over yourself and did it A) improperly, or B) maliciously".

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    While I realize that nothing is certain in the world of law, I'd prefer to have something potentially controversial, like internal parts replacement on a defensive firearm, done by a qualified gunsmith or certified armorer. Its not much, but it gets me one more layer away from "You worked this trigger over yourself and did it A) improperly, or B) maliciously".

I see your point, but.. Wouldn't the Attorney then just change their tactics to:

"You had this trigger worked over did it maliciously"

?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I see your point, but.. Wouldn't the Attorney then just change their tactics to:

"You had this trigger worked over did it maliciously"

There's a million tactics an attorney could use.

I just want to be able to articulate why I had the modification done, and show that I sought out an experienced and certified person to do the work.

Anyone else think that S&W should just get with Apex to supply them with their M&P trigger parts for all factory guns? ;)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have GLOCK 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 35 most of the glock I have I bought them during the gun ban. I not a glock fan, cause they don't have a manual safety

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There's a million tactics an attorney could use.

I just want to be able to articulate why I had the modification done, and show that I sought out an experienced and certified person to do the work.

Anyone else think that S&W should just get with Apex to supply them with their M&P trigger parts for all factory guns? ;)

I see, you want to drag a poor innocent armorer into your legal woes!

:D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have GLOCK 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 35 most of the glock I have I bought them during the gun ban. I not a glock fan, cause they don't have a manual safety

Was part of that supposed to be in purple? lol

Oh, and if you are serious about the manual safety thing, might I suggest taking an 8 hour Handgun class with a gun with a manual safety. After the first hour I hated my gun(and so did my thumb, lol).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I went ahead and ordered the Apex RAM and Extractor. I think it'll be worth it.

If you don't like it you can always take 'em back out. And peace-of-mind is always worth a few bucks in getting a totally reliable gun under any and all circumstances. :yesway:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    3rd single action. Have misfire and you appoent knows it and is on you.
    With a double action. You get a very quick second chance. At the same time you could be moving to clear the misfire.
    If the second chance does fire. You are ahead of the game.
    If your handgun is working properly, and you should practice enough to know if it is or isn't, if a round fails to ignite there is little chance a second strike will ignite it. In fact, there's so little chance that most training organizations teach you to perform immediate action to clear the bad round and charge the weapon with a fresh one. Wasting time trying to ignite a round that is likely a dud can get you killed. If you hear click, don't pull the trigger again, jack the slide and get back into the fight.

Double actions are safeties for the poorly trained, which is why the military likes them. It's nearly impossible to accidentally pull a 12lbs long travel double action trigger even if your finger is on it.

A thought I had about this: I think the real benefit of the "second strike" capability of double action semi-automatic pistols is that if you are pulling the trigger quickly in rapid succession—as one may do under the "shoot until the threat is no longer a threat" mentality—then if that first round didn't fire, you are already pulling the trigger anyway. It may take you that extra moment to realize, "Oh crap! It didn't fire!" and start clearing the round, so the fact that you were executing a double-tap combined with a second-strike capability may lead to a successfully fired round without needing to clear a jam.

I don't think that anybody is going to stand there pulling the trigger repeatedly trying to fire a misfired round instead of clearing it and charging the next one. But the second-strike capability could come in very handy in some situations when you've pulled the trigger twice or more in less time that it would have taken for your training to kick in, first acknowledging a misfire and then clearing it.

And for what it's worth, my primary carry weapons do not have second-strike capability. So, my remarks are purely conceptual, not based on personal bias towards such weapons.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And for what it's worth, my primary carry weapons do not have second-strike capability. So, my remarks are purely conceptual, not based on personal bias towards such weapons.

Second-strike capability would be nice, but only if you could maintain the type of trigger pull found in striker-fired guns like Glock and M&Ps. But with the chances of actually using the second-strike capability being very slim anyway, I'll give it up for a consistent 5lb. trigger pull with a short and crisp reset.

Top Bottom