A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Apex DCAEK and RAM, as well as Ameriglo Hackathorn sights have been installed!

Thanks goes to Simon6101 over at Bradis for installing everything. He even had to work double time on the rear sight, as it did NOT want to go in with the sight pusher. Thankfully he put some muscle and a hammer to it and finally got it in. He was being very careful and I gave him the go-ahead to whack around on it. Unfortunately it beat up his mallet pretty good.

1hedld.jpg

2a0m6wp.jpg

After playing around with the sights a little bit, I'm happy to report that the rear is more than angled enough to aid in one-handed charging. :yesway: I've already gotten the rear sight all nice and scuffed up too. :D

20rsnj5.jpg

5nnhw5.jpg

Dry firing with the Apex parts is SWEET. I can't wait to try it out on the range. The trigger is MUCH smoother and it now feels like a good Glock trigger.

Range report to come!

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Dry firing with the Apex parts is SWEET. I can't wait to try it out on the range. The trigger is MUCH smoother and it now feels like a good Glock trigger.

Range report to come!

Well, I've played around with my Glock triggers a whole lot and I've never had one that felt that smooth and had than nice of a reset. So, yeah, you are wrong on that one. ;)

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Did you head over there today to have it done? I was thinking about running by at lunch to eyeball and drool over some stuff and see if there was anything new and exciting.

Seems the M&P is working out for you, huh?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well, I've played around with my Glock triggers a whole lot and I've never had one that felt that smooth and had than nice of a reset. So, yeah, you are wrong on that one. ;)

You know... I never understoodd the need of the noticable reset. I mean, its useful for the first month or whatever until you get that in your muscle memory. But after that, a noticable reset doesn't matter to me.

Its just not as easy to learn or as quick. Or maybe with the glock being so noticable you don't have the muscle memory but instead a conditional response? :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Like I said, its like a really good Glock trigger. ;)

With the RAM I find the reset to not be as positive as Glock factory, but its a more refined feeling.

Did you head over there today to have it done?

Yep. Que met me over there around 11am. We had a nice time bugging shooter521 and sjstill while Simon6101 was busy with my gun. I left just after Noon.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You know... I never understoodd the need of the noticable reset. I mean, its useful for the first month or whatever until you get that in your muscle memory. But after that, a noticable reset doesn't matter to me.

For me, a tactile reset tells me exactly when the trigger is ready to go again. That way I don't waste trigger movement starting back from square 1. I agree that this is more important while a person is "learning" the trigger feel of any gun, and becomes less noticed as trigger manipulation becomes a matter of unconscious competence.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So when are you testing it out?

I was tempted to bundle up the boys and head down to Dad's while my wife is working, but they are busy refinishing the recently vacated basement, so I didn't want to interrupt.

I'll find some time in the next couple of weeks.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    You have just discribed what I have taught many individuals during our self-dfense trainings.

Your weapon is an extension of you and you must be comfortable with that extension.

Personally, I do like my Glock I am also not close minded. I personally enjoyed your write up and the photos used as a visual explanation.

Look forward to reading more.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was tempted to bundle up the boys and head down to Dad's while my wife is working, but they are busy refinishing the recently vacated basement, so I didn't want to interrupt.

I'll find some time in the next couple of weeks.

Mine shipped out yesterday. So I'm pretty excited to try it out. I'll hopefully get it all installed by this weekend. It'll be a "warm" weekend to shoot.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A note about the sights.

I was looking for something with the thinnest front sight possible, and a wider rear notch, or some combination thereof. I had heard that these Hackathorns had a nice wide rear notch, while the front was the thinnest available in a night sight without any custom work or filing down material.

After installing them I think they are the closest I can get without going to a fiber-optic front sight. While I'd still prefer a bit more daylight around the front, I'm not wanting to file the rear notch any wider. I'll run with these and see how they work for me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok I am now officially IN LOVE :wwub: with this gun!

The weather was so nice today that I had to sneak down to lovemywoods' in Brown County to at least put a few magazines through the M&P. I took along the boys so they could see their grandparents, and my 5-year-old even got a chance to shoot his new Red Ryder BB gun that he got for Christmas for the first time.

A few more initial impressions:

Sights - I'm really diggin' 'em. I shot from dusk to almost dark and was able to see the benefit of both the orange ring and the tritium. So far I like the blank rear with the hi-viz front. I didn't get a chance to bench the gun and see just how 'on' they are, but offhand groups were mostly centered if I did my part.

Trigger - The Apex DCAEK completely transformed the gun. Its like an entirely different firearm IMO. It almost feels like a two-stage rifle trigger, in that there is some take-up to prep, but the final pull is smooth, consistent, and has some nice weight too it. One-handed shooting felt great. Faster strings still produced one ragged hole from 10 feet.

168zi9l.jpg

3590ajr.jpg

Next step is to actually bench the gun and confirm that the sights are right where I want them. After that, its getting a steady diet of ammo, ammo, and more ammo. :yesway:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Ok I am now officially IN LOVE :wwub: with this gun!

The weather was so nice today that I had to sneak down to lovemywoods' in Brown County to at least put a few magazines through the M&P. I took along the boys so they could see their grandparents, and my 5-year-old even got a chance to shoot his new Red Ryder BB gun that he got for Christmas for the first time.

A few more initial impressions:

Sights - I'm really diggin' 'em. I shot from dusk to almost dark and was able to see the benefit of both the orange ring and the tritium. So far I like the blank rear with the hi-viz front. I didn't get a chance to bench the gun and see just how 'on' they are, but offhand groups were mostly centered if I did my part.

Trigger - The Apex DCAEK completely transformed the gun. Its like an entirely different firearm IMO. It almost feels like a two-stage rifle trigger, in that there is some take-up to prep, but the final pull is smooth, consistent, and has some nice weight too it. One-handed shooting felt great. Faster strings still produced one ragged hole from 10 feet.

168zi9l.jpg

3590ajr.jpg

Next step is to actually bench the gun and confirm that the sights are right where I want them. After that, its getting a steady diet of ammo, ammo, and more ammo. :yesway:

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'... Told you so!

We long-term M&P Aficionados have been preaching about Smith & Wesson's Polymer Wonder-Pistol for what seems to be forever, and we had even more to crow about when Apex Tactical introduced their magic enhancing widgets. I just wish that the M&P fans didn't have to take so many slings and arrows from the unbelievers for the last few years.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Coming in late to the party but I laughed at comparing those particular pistols. When my wife and I picked out new pistols, I went with the M&P .45 and she got the Glock 19 3rd gen. I did just order the Apex DCAEK because my 1 beef with the M&P was the trigger pull.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have shot this weapon on more than a few occasions as a friend is trying to bring me into the 9 MM/.40 world. It is a very well made piece and runs perfectly. It groups well and would not let you down in a fire fight or similar scenario. Problem, it does not fit my hand well. I am a 1911 .45 ACP kind of guy and I roll really well with one. My race gun is a 1911 .45 ACP. Guess I would prefer an old Harley over a new Goldwing.
    Nice gun, just not for me. Luck with the new piece. Seems like you have done the research and covered your bases, enjoy.
    Very nice write up.

Top Bottom