Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Exact same boat here. Wife can't eat jalepenos. I grow some but i usually eat them raw diced into stuff. I am starting to get too old to eat them too late in the day though :(
    Switch to poblanos. I’m happier since I did.

Or Anaheims are in between them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just got done putting our new griddle together, it’s not a blackstone, Sams club brand. I’ll season it and do some burgers on it tomorrow.
    I've got a"Charbroiler" 36" brand griddle, and an 18" Blackstone griddle.
    Other than size, they are basically identical.
    You will not be disappointed with the Sam's club version.
    It looks to be the same as well.
    One tip,
    If you have a griddle bigger than 18", don't try to run it on anything smaller than a 20lb propane tank.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I did vortex ribs today. I picked up a shaker of killer hogs "the bbq rub" to try and really like it. Temp at the top of the lid got to at least 550 and I dropped my turkey fryer thermometer in the vent and let it rest on the meat and it showed 400ish. They were done in about 55 minutes. Perfect tenderness even the kids were able to eat it off the bone.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Finally got my griddle seasoned and made some burgers. I was going for something like a steak and shake burger from back when they were actually good, what I got was very close to a local dive bars burger, which is a VERY good thing! Since I’m new to griddle cooking, I was worried that I would end up with an inedible mess, but I found a smash burger video on YouTube and did what the guy said, and I couldn’t be happier!

Attachments

• F9424328-92FC-43A9-9F8F-976AAEEA1E59.jpeg
      F9424328-92FC-43A9-9F8F-976AAEEA1E59.jpeg
      459.6 KB · Views: 5

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    WIfe's outta town. I will be smoking and eating everything she hates, or hates for me to eat. St Louis style ribs, smoked eggs, a dozen of them turned into egg salad...

pZjkgKo.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My last smoke was on July 20th when I finished off some bacon I cured for a week with a 3 or 4 hour smoke....then there was the incident.

Normally after a smoke I drop the pellets out and let the remainder of the pellets in the auger burn off. This time, I didn't drop the pellets. Also I was using Royal Oak charcoal pellets, though I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Anyhoo, apparently, the fire burned backwards up the auger and lit the pellet hopper on fire...and the hopper was about 1/3 full. I was not near the grill and it was night, so I didn't catch it. This back burn charred the pellet hopper, burned the insulation off of the power cord, shorting it and blowing the breaker, melted the control panel, melted the bushing that supports the the auger on the motor end and charred the auger motor, causing it to sieze.

Great. All of the parts were available. The most difficult thing was taking the hopper off, removing all of the char...and paint. Repainting was easy. I finished that this week.

This morning I replaced the control panel, auger motor, bushing and power cord. This was about a $120 and several hour lesson in remembering to drop the pellets out. I've let it run the hopper dry before several times, so I don't know why this back burn happened after 4 years of running this smoker, but no pellets in the hopper means no fire in the hopper.

It's running right now just to make sure everything is working. Tonight- super simple burgers just to get back into the game.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My last smoke was on July 20th when I finished off some bacon I cured for a week with a 3 or 4 hour smoke....then there was the incident.

Normally after a smoke I drop the pellets out and let the remainder of the pellets in the auger burn off. This time, I didn't drop the pellets. Also I was using Royal Oak charcoal pellets, though I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Anyhoo, apparently, the fire burned backwards up the auger and lit the pellet hopper on fire...and the hopper was about 1/3 full. I was not near the grill and it was night, so I didn't catch it. This back burn charred the pellet hopper, burned the insulation off of the power cord, shorting it and blowing the breaker, melted the control panel, melted the bushing that supports the the auger on the motor end and charred the auger motor, causing it to sieze.

Great. All of the parts were available. The most difficult thing was taking the hopper off, removing all of the char...and paint. Repainting was easy. I finished that this week.

This morning I replaced the control panel, auger motor, bushing and power cord. This was about a $120 and several hour lesson in remembering to drop the pellets out. I've let it run the hopper dry before several times, so I don't know why this back burn happened after 4 years of running this smoker, but no pellets in the hopper means no fire in the hopper.

It's running right now just to make sure everything is working. Tonight- super simple burgers just to get back into the game.
    Yikes! What brand pellet smoker if you don't mind me asking?

Top Bottom