Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX.
    Was looking into this as I'm fairly new to the pellet smoker. Seems like can be an issue across all pellet smokers in general. Cleaning seems to be the culprit and I'll admit I probably should vacuum out more often than I do. I'm thinking after a couple longer smokes (pork shoulder) or 4 shorter smokes (ribs, chicken, etc) I've given much longer than that between a good cleaning...up till now

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’m gonna do a 2 pound pack of wrights bacon on the griddle in the morning, and follow that with pancakes. I’ve been crazy happy with the burgers I’ve made, hoping to branch out and get used to cooking something other than burgers on it.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Picked up a chuck roast to try on the Traeger. Not planning on Mississippi pot roast, but rather just smoking it to a doneness level SWMBO'd can tolerate.

I am considering seasoning with either just salt and pepper, or one of a couple different dry rubs.

Open to suggestions.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Picked up a chuck roast to try on the Traeger. Not planning on Mississippi pot roast, but rather just smoking it to a doneness level SWMBO'd can tolerate.

I am considering seasoning with either just salt and pepper, or one of a couple different dry rubs.

Open to suggestions.
    Meat church preacher. That is a good basic starting point especially on a chuck roast where you can pile it on and get the crisp edge as it pulls the outside moisture after smoking

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

Open to suggestions.
    For an all around good rub that belongs in every spice cabinet, I like Plowboy's Yardbird rub. It's not too sweet which I like for chicken and beef. My favorite rubs for beef are Kosmos Prime Steak rub and Obie Que's Big Bull Texas Brisket Rub.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My wife is the world's worst gardener. She has these three raised beds that she gets all excited about planting stuff in during the spring. Then from lack of water, weeds, etc everything just dies.

Last year the ONLY thing that didn't die, and actually thrived was a little tomatillo plant. It's like it loved her particular brand of neglect. It took over the bed, choking out neighboring tomato plants that never really had a chance. The thing is, she did nothing with the tomatillos. They just dropped when ripe and were replaced by more, and more...

This spring she decided to plant that bed with native wildflower seeds. She put down landscape fabric, cut three slots in it, and planted her seeds. Then she did nothing.

To my surprise, little green shoots started sprouting. In a couple weeks, they were a foot tall. What struck me as odd was what should have been an assortment of different looking plants all looked strangely uniform. When they got about 18" tall it hit me, they were tomatillos.

The entire bed is now overflowing with fruit laden tomatillo plants. I hate to waste them again so began searching for recipes. I have made a bloody Mary mixer, which is OK, and several different salsas, but this one is by far the best.

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

I am probably going to have to look into canning some because I can't eat it as fast as those plants are kicking out fruit.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    our AC went out this week and the whole system needs replaced. thankfully I have some family in the hvac & contracting world who are doing me an unbelievable favor today. while I can’t thank them enough, I could & did start this at midnight. they’ll go home stuffed for sure.

I used Bad Byron’s Butt Rub. Usually I’m opposed to premade rubs but man I can’t deny this one really does it for me. I prefer my pulled pork to have a good dry rub, slow smoked, and a vinegar-based Carolina style sauce to complement the meat. Usually no slaw, sometimes pickle. paired with the cheapest, whitest bread or bun available.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
      IMG_2500.jpeg
      785.2 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_2499.jpeg
      IMG_2499.jpeg
      767.3 KB · Views: 13
    Top Bottom